Cost of Aeris A1 Rebuild?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsdmt

Reaction score
I recently took my Aeris A1 first stage/reg/octo in for a rebuild and was originally quoted $60 on the phone. The guy at the store told me that he would need to price out the kits and would get back to me with a price. He never did, he just called back and said the regs were ready. My sister was also getting her reg rebuilt so she picked it up for me. When she got home she said it cost a total of $250 for my work. This was for a complete rebuild plus a replacement aeris pressure gauge ($75). This is the first time I have had this reg rebuilt and the first time I have used this scuba store.

Am I right to assume that I have been ripped off? Or is this the going rate for this? I know that I can get a a complete Aeris A1 package from scubatoys for $340, so I am suprised that it cost me $250 for rebuilt plus one gauge without console. Is there anything I can do? Your input is appreciated.

Something seems wrong with that cost. If you could give a better break down on prices he charge and where you are located at it would help. Also how long did you have the regulator?

It looks like you were ripped off. Unfortunately, not really uncommon in scuba retail.

Why did the spg need replaced? And Aeris has a free parts program. Were you aware of that? From the website:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AERIS has established over 400 retailers in the United States. A complete list is available [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HERE. It is important that you purchase AERIS life support products from one of our authorized dealers.

If you purchase AERIS life support products from a non-authorized dealer, neither AERIS nor our authorized dealers are responsible to repair your products under warranty.

When you buy AERIS life support products from an authorized dealer, you are buying from trained professionals who can instruct you on the proper and safe use of your equipment. You will also receive the AERIS factory warranty on your products and access to the latest technical and upgrade information.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Authorized AERIS Dealers offer the following exclusive service program benefits:

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
Individual dealer participation in this program is voluntary. This guarantee warrants that at any time during the first 30 days of purchase, your AERIS product fails to meet your expectations, that product may be exchanged by a participating Authorized AERIS Dealer. No questions asked.

[/SIZE][/FONT]AERIS ADVANTAGE LIMITED LIFETIME REGULATOR PARTS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM
The AERIS ADVANTAGE Program provides free standard replacement parts for your AERIS regulator. The program includes all AERIS first stages and second stages. Register your regulator online with AERIS, and you are automatically enrolled in the program. There is no additional charge for this program.
Register today!

EXPRESS REPLACEMENT POLICY
Individual dealer participation in this program is voluntary. Should anything go wrong with your AERIS product within the first 30 days of purchase, your Authorized AERIS Dealer is authorized to immediately replace the product over-the-counter. No questions asked.

PRODUCT REGISTRATION - DIVE LOCKER
Register your products purchased through an Authorized AERIS Dealer to recieve an online MY AERIS account, a secure area of our web site where you may access and maintain your information from any Internet connected computer in the world, create an online virtual dive log, and more. Most importantly, should AERIS issue a safety related notice regarding your product, you will be the first to know.

I called the shop and they told me that the cost of labor was $100; 40/30/30 for first, primary and octo. The build kits were 15-20 each. They charged $1 per o-ring and also needed to order octo exhaust port. The part that upset me the most was that they didn't call to verify I wanted the work today before completing it like they said they would. I am not in a good financial situation right now and wouldn't' have had the work done.

I will not be using this shop again. I called and they offered to give me a $100 store credit and then immediately tried to sell me a $900 BCD. Poor customer service. They can keep their hundred bucks, lesson learned.

edit: I bought the regulator used a few years ago and put a few hundred dives on it. It hadn't been serviced since I bought it so maybe four years.

You did get hosed. Orings are part of the rebuild kits. And the spg o rings I use, viton, are $6.00. Per hundred. That's 6 cents each. And one of the reasons I charge by the hour for labor. I have only had two regs take more than an hour and half. They were downright nasty. My labor rate is $45 an hour and I can usually do a reg in that amount of time. After that it goes by the 1/4 hour. What they charged you for the kits is actually not bad. Some brands want $30 or more for one service kit. Granted my overhead is low and I don't rely on gear service to pay the bills so I don't have to charge an arm and a leg for service. But for that reg, unless it was really cruddy, that was too much to spend. And that $900 bc probably cost them $400 or less. So yeah, they had their sights on you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

A few questions. Did they say why did need to replace the SPG and exhaust T? did they give you back the old parts? $75 for a new SPG itself from Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis isn't unrasonable, but even if still the WHY. On their receipt, did they left the cost break down?

Labor wise, my LDSs charges about $80 for labor for 1st + 2x2nd. Parts, I would say about $15 for 2nd, $25 for 1st, so $55 total. Say $130 for rebuilt seem to be a more common cost. Of course not including SPG and exhaust T.

Most importnat question, can you tell us the name of the shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom