Cost of Tec Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you can do it my way. I met my boyfriend on line. My profile reeked diver. So he emailed me - rec or tec? I emailed back rec. He emailed back tec but I'll rec. Well, that first dive he stuffed me in a transpac. Now I'm going for full cave in Mexico in May.

Must... resist... tempatation... to... crack... obvious... non-PC... joke... :D

You don't have to work as a commercial diver or an instructor. You could always work as a manufacture rep, become a manufacture, work in dive media, own a scuba forum.

I work as a software tester and am on a high income. I have no dependents, my partner is on a decent wage as well, I have no debt, and my other hobbies don't take up much money.

Diving is not super expensive if you stay at recreational level in my opinion. I only started having to shell out a huge amount of money when I started cave diving.

Heaps of people have recommended I get a career in diving to help pay for everything and because I love it so much, however I'd really rather work in an averagely interesting job Mon-Fri 9-5, earn six figures and dive whenever I want rather than whereever I am asked to.

I honestly had no idea that technical diving would cost this much. I unfortunately enjoy it too much. Too late for me. Just hope that you don't like it that much and don't need to do much of it. Will be easier on your wallet this way. :) Heck, even recreational diving cost more than I thought it was going to cost. Scuba is not a cheap hobby.

a well paying job helps alot. Tech diving is like racing cars, when asked how much it costs the stock answer is "everything you got, plus 20%" lol nuff said?
Eric

a well paying job helps alot. Tech diving is like racing cars, when asked how much it costs the stock answer is "everything you got, plus 20%" lol nuff said?
Eric

Haha. Actually, racing cars is cheaper than diving in my experience! :wink: (my partner races).

... I am extremely interested in tec diving, and my main question is: How are you able to shell out the money and time for it while also having a diving related job?

I don't have a diving-related job, but I thought I'd respond anyway.

I took my first scuba course (a PE course) at the university where I was completing my PhD. Spent several semesters as a TA for the course while I was writing my dissertation. Drove down to Ginnie Springs, Florida, one Christmas break to earn Cavern and Basic Cave certifications. After completing my degree, I moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan--proximal both to training quarries in northwest Ohio and to the Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior--and continued scuba training/diving. Much of the free time and disposable income of this then unmarried assistant professor for the next several years was spent on scuba training, scuba equipment purchases, and Great Lakes wreck diving.

Yes, all this was very expensive, but quite manageable since it was done over time. It helped that I had no significant debt, that I lived in an area where a lot of tech training was available and a lot of tech diving was being done, that I had no family with its associated expenses, and that I lived an otherwise spartan lifestyle.

Having kids now, and facing the reality of maintaining three college funds for them, I don't think I would be able to *easily* invest in tech training and purchase tech equipment at this point in my life.

Good luck with your plans.

Ronald

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom