Costa Rica v. Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj:
That is in the Northern part.....thermoclines...Yikes....someday try the southern part....The Aguila de osa is one of the great places I have stayed:) .....just wished the Vis was better:(

You know, it did cross my mind to go South for a change. However, I have been so lucky with the viz. Thinking of calling the dive-op I usually use and ask if it is typical or not to have better viz further north. :ne_nau:

Was lucky enough to spot a humpback one time :)

John viz as in visibility. :14:

hil71:
dived in Hermosa - stayed at El Valero on the beach - dove with Diving Safaris -great dive op but it was pretty chilly underwater and yup - major thermoclides - pretty soupy underwater - think i'm a warm water wuss!! I'd vote for T&C for a change!

Ha, I know just the hotel you were at! I also go with Diving Safari's. Okay you guy's don't jinx me with your crappy viz :winky: Pretty please don't jinx us

*Miss now praying*

Hil71 have you actually been to T&C? If so, I was just wondering how you would compare the wildlife. Thanks.

Ditto on Aquila De Osa. We loved it. Also did El Ocatal in Guanacaste (sp.?) and loved that as well. No you don't get the big viz you get in the Carribean, but you'll see things that you won't see there as well. I've got 5 minutes of video just of harlequin shrimp eating a starfish (yes, animals were hurt in the filming of this video). You do get a lot of stingers in the water, so make sure that you cover up.

Missdirected:
Ha, I know just the hotel you were at! I also go with Diving Safari's. Okay you guy's don't jinx me with your crappy viz :winky: Pretty please don't jinx us

*Miss now praying*

Hil71 have you actually been to T&C? If so, I was just wondering how you would compare the wildlife. Thanks.

Actually no! I've not been to T & C yet - my friend moved there just after thanksgiving to work for a dive shop but havent yet heard how she's getting on!!! Will post when i do - hope to go to T & C next year -

We have done both.

T&C Salt Cay/Grand Turk - Wall diving, nice reefs (healthy nice variety of flora and fauna, few pelagics but Humpbacks in Feb/March), 50-100 viz, 76-82 temps. Top side - very quiet on Salt Cay.

CR Cocos local & Cats/Bats - Rocky diving, not much coral, but nice fauna, lots of pelagics, 30-50 viz, 75-80 temps, top side more culture.

One thing to note - there is huge difference in staying on Caicos versus Turks/Salt Cay.

pdixon:
We were in Costa Rica at the end of October. Good trip overall. Diving very different from Grand Turk. Rocks, very little coral.

I put a trip diary you might find interesting at http://www.ncdiver.com/ncdiver/CostaRica/

Hey thanks. I have decided to do Costa Rica again. Still thinking I may move further south than where I typically stay. Saw one hotel that is only an hour boat ride to Catalina from the mainland. Where I usually go, I believe, it is a three hour trip.

Good decision.....but when are we going to get you to places in the Indo-Pacific...ie Palau...Indonesia????:14:

Travelnsj:
Good decision.....but when are we going to get you to places in the Indo-Pacific...ie Palau...Indonesia????:14:

OMG would I love to go there. Phillipines, Australia, and South Africa are my dream trips. Need to make a good friend in the airline industry me thinks :D

Ok...how about a comprise?....Kona for the Mantas?.....I could use a dive buddy in August:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom