Couldn't finish OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

practice in WARM water, it'll be easier, I had trouble on my first O/W dives too, first due to equalization issues (lousy instructor didn't make an attempt to help with equalization technique, only told me to do it more often, figured out myself months later) but also due to the freezing water (54 degrees) putting me into diving reflex and locking up my breathing for a few seconds. in the pool, it was a breeze

First,

I thought it might of been related to my traumatic brain injury because I also had sharp pains in the side of my head. Taking off my mask and swimming around also contributes to the dizziness.

The mask issue can be overcome with time and practice, but your comment above concerns me. That just does not sound good.

Have you been OK'd to dive by a doctor with knowledge of your specific medical issues and who is knowledgeable about diving?

If not, please look into that before proceeding.

The problems that you describe are not everyday, but are not uncommon. They are easily solved by working with an instructor who knows what they are doing, and the solution should take a half hour or so. What you need to understand is that many so called diving instructors have no idea of when (or how) to deviate from their scripted water session to deal with the special problems that individual students have.

The sharp pain in the side of your head should be checked by a hyperbaric physician who has access to your past medical records.

I remember my first night in the pool and it was hard with all the people there watching, partcipating, ect... I gave up and left but called back and took private... beat myself up terrible but I needed the one on one to calm me down... Once that was conquered went to the lake to get certified for open water and it was a piece of cake. In fact, I couldn't believe I did better in the lake than at the pool but everyone's different. I did better with taking the mask completely off then the partial clearing. Mind thing... I still don't have alot of dives, but I've done advanced, took a trip and dove in the ocean and I hope to eventually do rescue and go on with other dive courses... Give yourself a chance and take it slow... I have been diving with a few instructors and what I don't get is why everyone is in a hurry... it's supposed to be a slow and easy going, relaxing experience... not a race... but anyway, keep at it and have fun...

Another newbie here! I like you had some apprehension regarding the mask drills and breathing only through my mouth. I wish I had the above advice prior to my OWC, because it would have made things much easier.

Regarding the class, I did the PADI online class (substitute for the classroom) and I felt I missed out on a-lot of important safety/ general diving info. I was lucky in the fact that I got a-lot of pool time, and access to three different instructors, all who were good at different things. The one on one time was great and I was able to really work on skills I was uncomfortable with. The best part was we spent two days worth of pool work practicing buoyancy skills.

I would recommend paying for an hour of one on one time with your instructor in the pool. It helped me a-lot!

SSI standards state that open water dives 1 & 2 can only be done after chapters 1 thru 3 of the academics are done and sections 1 thru 3 of the confined water are completed. For open water dives 3 & 4, you must have completed all the academic sessions and passed the test with 80% and have completed all the pool sessions. Open water 1 & 2 are limited to a max of 40ft and 3 & 4 are limited to a max of 60ft.

xnomadx,

I live in Charleston, SC and Dive here regularly. If you want to finish your Open Water certification, Contact Charleston Scuba (http://www.charlestonscuba.com) when you get here. I dive with them often and am currently working on my Dive master certification with them. All of the Instructors and Staff are top notch and several are ex-military.

The way they do the Open Water class is 3 classroom sessions, followed by 3 pool sessions. The class generally runs from Thursday to Sunday with the classroom sessions on Thursday Night, Saturday Morning, and Sunday Afternoon, and Pool session on Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning. You would do your Open Water dives the following weekend, Dives 1 & 2 are < 40 ft on Saturday, and Dives 3 & 4 are to 55 ft on Sunday. I have assisted with classes where the students felt they needed an extra session or two in the pool and the Instructors will happily let you join in on a session for another open water class if needed.

If you have any questions about Charleston or the Shop, feel free to send me a PM!

- Orionnt

I did not want to do the underwater skills either. I did them. I then did some snorkeling and practiced dive down ten to fifteen feet and holding my breath as long as possible and then swam up to the surface when i felt i couldn't hold my breath anymore. After a couple of time I felt more comfortable dive down and my breath holds actually got long and I became more comfortable and confident in the water. I then dove a week later and I felt more confident that if something went wrong with my dive gear I could make it to the surface safely. My air consumption improved and I was more relaxed. The day snorkeling was the best thing for me, you might want to try it.

So I started my OW course and my first day went great and got to do an open water dive to a max depth of 40ft. It was amazing seeing the reefs and all the colorful marine life.

The next day I started my deep confined training where we had to lay down and take off our masks, etc. These are the issues I've had and why I had to stop diving.

To quote Monty Python: "Run Away!" Also demand a refund.

The only reason anybody would do this is because your safety isn't their #1 priority.

One trick that helped me with breathing...plug your nose when you start accidentally breathing through your nose. Do that during the period you are feeling anxious, until you regain control your breathing again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom