Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD - this may only be relevant to you and me, but did I read in Diveassure's coverage that they stop at age 72?

Anyone know if DAN has a similar restriction?
To age 75 actually: https://diveassure.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GBG-Travel-DOC.pdf

I don't know about DAN's. Something to ask about in time perhaps. I'm watching for age limits on rental cars these days. That doesn't seem to be a problem in the US, but can be in other countries.

Last edited:
I’m going to say that Coz is maybe the best place in the world to get bent. I don’t recall exactly how many chambers there were but my understanding is that they have several (reputable ones at that). Anyone agree/disagree?
Disagree. Absolutely does not compare to the Gold Standard of triage and accessible trauma center care here in Southern California.

The Catalina Recomptession Chamber is the only non-private, non-military/non-commercial, civilian municipal government run, and local diver supported facility in the US on 24/7 & 365 stand-by for Emergency Diving Accidents & Casualties only. Since it's run by the public tax-supported Los Angeles County Health Dept EMS System, administered by the Univ of Southern California Medical Center, and has onsite Advanced Cardio-Respiratory Life Support capability with an ER/Hyperbaric Physician on call, you will always have the opportunity to be transported, evaluated, treated, admitted to hospital as needed and freely discharged upon recovery, whether you have primary medical or secondary accident DAN insurance coverage, or the ability to pay -or not. . .

The entire spectrum of DCI from simple type I joint pain only DCS to critical condition AGE with near drowning complications in full arrest can be treated immediately, with direct rapid response medevac transport to the facility by US Coast Guard helicopter as necessary from remote far offshore divesites as far away as 200km and 90min ETA.

Last edited:
Disagree. Absolutely does not compare to the Gold Standard of triage and accessible trauma center care here in Southern California.

The Catalina Recomptession Chamber is the only non-private, non-military/non-commercial, civilian municipal government run, and local diver supported facility in the US on 24/7 & 365 stand-by for Emergency Diving Accidents & Casualties only. Since it's run by the public tax-supported Los Angeles County Health Dept EMS System, administered by the Univ of Southern California Medical Center, and has onsite Advanced Cardio-Respiratory Life Support capability with an ER/Hyperbaric Physician on call, you will always have the opportunity to be transported, evaluated, treated, admitted to hospital as needed and freely discharged upon recovery, whether you have primary medical or secondary accident DAN insurance coverage, or the ability to pay -or not. . .

The entire spectrum of DCI from simple type I joint pain only DCS to critical condition AGE with near drowning complications in full arrest can be treated immediately, with direct rapid response medevac transport to the facility by US Coast Guard helicopter as necessary from remote far offshore divesites as far away as 200km and 90min ETA.

Is it only for US citizens or everyone ?

Is it only for US citizens or everyone ?
Everyone . . .locals and visiting divers alike.

The only reason to call DAN is long afterward to start the insurance reimbursement process.

The point is that here in Southern California -and only in Southern Calif- we don't require DAN pre-approval nor are they needed to find and coordinate Recompression Chamber availability since we already have one -The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber- as part of the County Government EMS system standing by 24/7 & 365. If unavailable (unlikely since the Catalina Chamber only treats diving casualties which in terms of general accidents and trauma emergencies are relatively rare occurrences), Los Angeles County Medical Alert Center coordinates with other back-up facilities on the the mainland.

Really interesting thank you.

Any similar specialized hospital / hyp chamber in Florida ? (or the other side of america).

Any similar specialized hospital / hyp chamber in Florida ? (or the other side of america).
There are no similar 24/7 emergency public recompression chambers at all in Florida that have the same dedicated capability, operational support and rapid response as the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber in Southern California to treat the entire range of DCI pathologies -including acute AGE.

The only other facility that is equivalent and in close proximity to areas of active Scuba diving recreation as well is in Oahu, Honolulu (the recently reopened Hyperbaric Treatment Center at Kuakini Medical Center/Univ of Hawaii Medical School).

Last edited:
Everyone . . .locals and visiting divers alike.

The only reason to call DAN is long afterward to start the insurance reimbursement process.

The point is that here in Southern California -and only in Southern Calif- we don't require DAN pre-approval nor are they needed to find and coordinate Recompression Chamber availability since we already have one -The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber- as part of the County Government EMS system standing by 24/7 & 365. If unavailable (unlikely since the Catalina Chamber only treats diving casualties which in terms of general accidents and trauma emergencies are relatively rare occurrences), Los Angeles County Medical Alert Center coordinates with other back-up facilities on the the mainland.

The 1st video mentions a patient had no pulse, flat line going into the chamber after 62 minute CPR, brought in to the chamber, got a pulse back at pressure in the chamber, walked out after 2 weeks of treatment. Simply amazing!

But is the diving as good in southern California as around Cozumel? That's part of the equation.

One would think so, but sadly no, as Kevrumbo said. There are surprisingly few for a state as large and as enthusiastic about diving as Florida. It has been discussed on SB from time to time. Here, for example: I need info on the lack of hyperbaric chambers in Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom