Couple detained in Cozumel until chamber bill paid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bent in November 2016 around Marianna, FL. A chamber in FL was not given to me as an option. It was either a chamber in GA (Albany or Valdosta, I can’t remember which city) or Mobile, AL. Before I could make the decision they came back and said Mobile was my only option. I had the Guardian plan with DAN. I was hit with a $60k bill for the air ambulance. It was just settled 3 days ago with DAN cutting them a check for $58,800.00. My primary insurance (BCBS) wouldn’t cover it. They did cover the chamber and other expenses. My bills totaled near $100k. I did not have a single dime out of pocket. Thank you DAN!

I am a bit suprised DAN doesnt have any approved chambers in FL? As much diving as goes on there - wow.....!

I am a bit suprised DAN doesnt have any approved chambers in FL? As much diving as goes on there - wow.....!

North Florida.

The point is that Florida is a big state, there's a lot of diving in N. Florida, mostly caves, and there is a surprising lack (at least to me) of chambers statewide for such a big, scuba-friendly state.

For those interested - a chamber ride in CZM will run you about $800-$1000usd per hour - including physician fees - depending on severity, you may be hospitalized which is around $250-$400usd per night for a private room which is only option in the private hospitals - but despite myth - the medical care here is fantastic. I would choose just about any hospitalization here over most hospitals in the USA - I speak from personal experience with 3 major surgeries here the last 10 years (1 in Mexico City) plus a few chamber rides over a 15 year period which included hospitalization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom