Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Dave, have you used your Wells Fargo ATM lately?

I think you misunderstood Don - it has nothing to do with Wells Fargo (or the card issuing bank) - it's the ATM machines themselves. Certain machines may have been hacked/compromised.

I have not used the ATM machines in Mega since Dave posted this. I use only ATM's at actual banks with cameras.

Another tip - don't let your card out of your sight. When using your card to pay for restaurant bills, etc., make sure the merchant swipes your card right in front of you. This was becoming a big scam in the US where waiters would have card readers and sell the information to even bigger organized rings where they would make duplicate cards. It could happen anywhere - so just be careful!

Blue Steal,

On my trip this month I used the various cambios around town. My first one was on 30th, down the street from Los Seras restaurant. They were exchanging at 11.95 pesos to the dollar. On the day I left I saw another cambio offering an exchange rate of 12 pesos to the dollar. I do everything I can to NOT put my plastic in the machines in Cozumel. And with exchange rates like this there really is no need to either.

I think you misunderstood Don - it has nothing to do with Wells Fargo (or the card issuing bank) - it's the ATM machines themselves. Certain machines may have been hacked/compromised.

I have not used the ATM machines in Mega since Dave posted this. I use only ATM's at actual banks with cameras.
Oh ok, thanks! Sucks to have to go to a bank when there is an ATM there. Dang!
Another tip - don't let your card out of your sight. When using your card to pay for restaurant bills, etc., make sure the merchant swipes your card right in front of you. This was becoming a big scam in the US where waiters would have card readers and sell the information to even bigger organized rings where they would make duplicate cards. It could happen anywhere - so just be careful!
Yeah, I've had to replace my card after a few trips for that reason. The bank credits back the theft, but it's a hassle and a risk still. Getting a limited travel card today on rush.
Blue Steal,

On my trip this month I used the various cambios around town. My first one was on 30th, down the street from Los Seras restaurant. They were exchanging at 11.95 pesos to the dollar. On the day I left I saw another cambio offering an exchange rate of 12 pesos to the dollar. I do everything I can to NOT put my plastic in the machines in Cozumel. And with exchange rates like this there really is no need to either.
12:1 is great. Any commissions on top of that? Google is only giving 12.7:1 today.

I want to use ATMs to withdraw in pesos but there is a 3% commission on that I think for converting.

I used to work for a company who makes ATMs and can tell you skimming is big busness.

Check this out to see how difficult it is to spot some of them.

ATM skimmers - Google Search

That is so scary! And of course as I mentioned above, they have portable ones too that waiters, etc. can slip in their pocket and swipe when no one is looking - happened to a friend recently - scary stuff!

That is so scary! And of course as I mentioned above, they have portable ones too that waiters, etc. can slip in their pocket and swipe when no one is looking - happened to a friend recently - scary stuff!

Yes it is. When I travel these days, I use a pre-paid credit card for those kinds of transactions. I can add funds online when needed and if a thief gets hold of it, they won't get more than the amount I've put on the card.

But yes, it's very difficult to spot a good skimmer. Also, the nutty thing, you can buy them online!! True, you can get them custom to the type of ATM one wants to skim.

I was in Coz back in February. Used the ATM at HSBC several times. A few weeks after getting home we received international transaction alert emails on the card we used. Someone was getting money from 2 different HSBC banks on the mainland using our account info. Our card issuer cancelled the card immediately after we called them and resissued a new one. No details were ever given to us on the investigation but we were credited the fraud withdraws. Seems to me that this was an inside job at HSBC. So, not only do you have to worry about someone watching you at an ATM or a skimmer device at an ATM, you have to worry about criminal activity within the bank itself.

Hcsb...?

Yeah, I mean that bank. With the trust factor the way it's going, bringing USD and changing some to pesos seems the only way to avoid scams. Sad state of affairs for a community so dependent on vacationing divers. I'll have to pay attention to further updates when we start preparing for our next trip.

Yeah, I mean that bank. With the trust factor the way it's going, bringing USD and changing some to pesos seems the only way to avoid scams. Sad state of affairs for a community so dependent on vacationing divers. I'll have to pay attention to further updates when we start preparing for our next trip.

This is not a problem exclusive to Cozumel - it has been going on in the US and other countries for a LONG time - and it is not widespread here.

Eliminating the use of your ATM is not the only way to avoid scams and the entire community is not to blame for this.

I would avoid the ATM's at Mega and Chedraui as those seem to be the ones that have been compromised.

I keep only a small amount in my checking accounts as an extra precaution. When I need more money, I transfer it from savings, etc. just before I intend to withdraw it.

I also check my accounts daily and receive an e-mail notification any time a transaction is made with any of my debit cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom