Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I mean that bank. With the trust factor the way it's going, bringing USD and changing some to pesos seems the only way to avoid scams. Sad state of affairs for a community so dependent on vacationing divers. I'll have to pay attention to further updates when we start preparing for our next trip.
Hale County State Bank? :confused:

I called to order my separate debit card today. Had enough influence (or that let me feel that way) to pick up the temporary card 2 hours later. I need to ask about how much to leave in it to avoid fees as I only want to use it for trips.

Day to day, I prefer my credit card; 2-1/2 as many points for spending. Too bad most of my monthly bills take checks or check draft only. :(

So do any of the Coz Atms dispense US Dollars? So much of my expenses are booked in USD; it'd be pointless to pay commissions on Pesos.

Hale County State Bank? :confused:

I called to order my separate debit card today. Had enough influence (or that let me feel that way) to pick up the temporary card 2 hours later. I need to ask about how much to leave in it to avoid fees as I only want to use it for trips.

Day to day, I prefer my credit card; 2-1/2 as many points for spending. Too bad most of my monthly bills take checks or check draft only. :(

So do any of the Coz Atms dispense US Dollars? So much of my expenses are booked in USD; it'd be pointless to pay commissions on Pesos.

HSBC = Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation - actually based in London - one of the largest international banks in the world www.hsbc.com

The Banorte ATM across from Wet Wendy's dispenses USD and there are a few new ATM's on the waterfront that do as well - although I would be weary of using those because I am unsure of their bank affiliation.

Also, the HSBC in the square has a machine that dispenses USD

Well, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation may be famous in some circles but not mine, sorry.

Thanks for the USD machine info too.

Dandy Don,

There were no commissions at the cambios that I used that was evident to me. I simply handed them $100 usd and received 1,195 pesos in exchange. And the one on 30th was open at like 9:30 - 10:00pm at night.

BTW, if you have an account with BOA (Bank of America) use the Santander ATM. (It's a quick 2 block walk from the square, next door to the restaurant El Capi Navegante. It only dispenses pesos but you will not be charged ANY transaction fees on either end. Most of the ATMS (unless you have an account with them) charge you a transaction fee on BOTH ends. I have been using Santander regularly for the past 4 years and have never had any issues with them.

I have also used the HSBC ATM at Chedraui without incident. Thanks Dave, for the heads up about the Mega ATMs!!

Well, Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation may be famous in some circles but not mine, sorry.

Thanks for the USD machine info too.

I never knew what the initals stood for but that bank is very popular where I live in New York.

I never knew what the initals stood for but that bank is very popular where I live in New York.
So is Hale county state bank here.

BTW, if you have an account with BOA (Bank of America) use the Santander ATM. (It's a quick 2 block walk from the square, next door to the restaurant El Capi Navegante. It only dispenses pesos but you will not be charged ANY transaction fees on either end. Most of the ATMS (unless you have an account with them) charge you a transaction fee on BOTH ends. I have been using Santander regularly for the past 4 years and have never had any issues with them.

I have also used the HSBC ATM at Chedraui without incident. Thanks Dave, for the heads up about the Mega ATMs!!

You may want to keep an eye on your bank notifications for fees in the coming months. BoA is selling back to Santander it's holdings in Santander Mexico, so without that relationship, they may start charging you like all the other banks do.

Santander pays B. of A. $2.5 bln for Mexico stake - MarketWatch

As mentioned skimming is big business and done all over the world. You are not safe from it anywhere. It is usually easy to prevent though. Almost all off the ones doing it have one device to copy the data on your card and one very small camera to record the code you enter. Therefore if you are carefull and make sure what you enter cannot be seen by any hidden cameras this is usually enough to stop it.

This is scary stuff. I had a friend here in Los Angeles go ahead and get me a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos, 100 & 200 notes. Then I went over to my my bank and told them I would be using the ATM in COZ on X date for only a one time amount of X pesos.

Back
Top Bottom