Coz dive report, May11-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Professor:
Questions for Christi: Please be so kind as to identify which dive sites those photographs were taken at and on what dates. The professor.

Absolutely Professor.

Photo One: Maracaibo Shallows May 22, 2006
Photo two: Tormentos, May 18, 2006
Photo three: Columbia Shallows, April 2006
Photo four: Palancar Gardens, April 2004

I was going to post some more for you, but for some reason I can't get the photos off my gallery to post, but if you look at my photo gallery here, every single picture in my personal UW gallery was taken since Wilma. http://www.bluextseadiving.com/gall...el&PHPSESSID=09b10911e42c59e0f0a4730749ffc078

I found this today on another forum and alongside his report, this IMO is a very accurate and fair summation of the current condition of Cozumel reefs. JLyle thank you for saying exactly what I've been trying to convey :)

Taken from Digital Diver:
jlyle:
For a return visitor, the first dive in Cozumel is going to be a shock because the reefs are changed, not destroyed. I've logged over five-hundred dives in Cozumel and will agree that on some reefs storm damage is noticeable - my favorite tube sponges for WAL on Colombia Reef are gone, there's a fine dusting of sand nearly everywhere, and the sandy flats are now very clean. The reefs are changed, but still beautiful and full of life, both verterbrate and invertebrate - I found no dearth of subjects to photograph and even found some new ones. After the first dive, we began to look around and discovered a new Cozumel. We were there for two weeks, logged thirty-nine dives and almost fifty hours of bottom time.

The shallow tops of the reefs used to meet sand on the east side. Much of that sand has been swept away, exposing the limestone underneath. Someone seeing this gray rock for the first time might assume that the reef was killed by the storms; this rocky area isn't as pretty as the sand used to be; but it isn't reef damaged by the hurricane - just uncovered rock. There are now many more tunnels, holes, and cracks to explore.

Back
Top Bottom