Cozumel Dive Op Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casa Mexicana (which does have a pool on the lobby floor - a small one, but it is a pool) absolutely. Again, my preference in Cozumel (as a Dive Instructor with well over 2000 dives) is Dive Paradise: fast boats, 6 or less per boat and the boat goes where the divers decide. My opinion, but I've dove with plenty in Cozumel (almost all mentioned in this thread and elsewhere) and around the world over the last almost 30 years of diving, and I'll continue with Dive Paradise for the reasons previously stated, and based on actual experience, not "something I heard from someone who knew someone that heard something from someone that doesn't really know anything, or that never dove with DP." LOL...there's a reason why Hostess makes the best damn twinkies...that, plus I am good friends with the owner (so, you have to take that into account, and that constututes my 'full disclosure')...that all being said, again, for whatever diving you are seeking to do (which you should figure out your needs in advance, do the research and make a decision based on that), you can find anywhere from competent to extremely excellent and attentive dive operations in Cozumel...so, I'll say it again, and keep saying it...wherever you are diving, beware of people saying this op is better or the best or the worst, because they don't really know, and don't have enough experience with every dive operation in every conceivable condition to make a competent comparison....

cowboyneal:
Again, my preference in Cozumel (as a Dive Instructor with well over 2000 dives) is Dive Paradise: fast boats, 6 or less per boat and the boat goes where the divers decide.

Doesn't DP charge extra for the small boat (and don't they have only one?) and/or dive trips to the south end? What you mention as a point for DP (fast boats, 6 or less per boat and the boat goes where the divers decide) is the norm for many other ops on the island. Blue Angel, for example, charges $53 for a two tank dive on a small fast boat which goes where the divers want to dive with no extra charge for Punta Sur, Chun Ca Chab, or Maracaibo.

My one and only experience with DP (night dive on the Sagittario) was less than stellar.

Only One? DP is the largest on Cozumel and they have over a dozen boats! Most of those are fast boats with 6 passengers max., and they have 2 large boats, one of which is used for the night dive. Extra? Compared to what? If you book a hotel/Caribbean trip package (which is large boat, big group) and you want to upgrade to express trip (small boat, 6 max.) of course you have to pay a little more. However, they don't charge any more for a 6 passenger boat than any of the other ops.

cowboyneal:
Only One? DP is the largest on Cozumel and they have over a dozen boats! Most of those are fast boats with 6 passengers max., and they have 2 large boats, one of which is used for the night dive. Extra? Compared to what? If you book a hotel/Caribbean trip package (which is large boat, big group) and you want to upgrade to express trip (small boat, 6 max.) of course you have to pay a little more. However, they don't charge any more for a 6 passenger boat than any of the other ops.

I was thinking of a post some months ago by someone who said that they only had one small boat and she couldn't get on it. Hearsay, whatever, probably bad information. Someone else said that it cost extra to get on their small boat(s), and that they charged extra to go far south; I have no idea of the veracity of those claims. Blue Angel (for example) charges the same for their small boats as for their large one, and the two tank dives are the same price ($53) no matter where you go. I wouldn't know about packages; I've never done that.

Anyway, the point I was making is that what you were stating as reasons you dive with DP (small fast boats, go where the divers want to go) nowadays is pretty much the norm with many of the other dive ops on the island.

For the record, I am certainly not bashing DP, even though my single experience with them was not very good. It's just that in all the posts I have read where you are talking them up, I haven't seen any points that set them apart from many other ops on the island.

Yes Gordon, you are right about them charging extra to go to the more southern sites such as Maracaibo and Punta Sur. I asked them about this last January and they mentioned the cost of gas as reason for the increase for those trips. Their pricing/trip website is at http://www.diveparadise.com/trips.htm If I'm reading this right, it appears as though they are charging $72 for a two tanker Specialty dive package. That does seem a bit high.

Again though, I do like Dive Paradise and have had mostly very good experiences with them.

These days one can go directly to the website of a place and get the straight skinny. For instance, a visit to Dive Paradise and you can go to the Boats page and see pictures of their boats, quite a few smaller ones there. You can browse the various trips offered as well, they charge $7 more for the "fast" boat.

...and there you have it (directly above me)...didn't think you were bashing GGunn...You? Come on!!!!!! I talk them up because I've been diving with them since the place opened under TH way back when and they have always over these many years taken care of me very well. I also say that there are a bunch of excellent dive ops in Cozumel that will take you diving the way you like it...you have to do the research...(not you, the "asking you")...and make a decision from there...

cowboyneal:

On Cozumel, I have been with Scuba Du, Dive Paradise, Cinpatica, Aldora, Caribbean, Somone Rossini, Blue XT Sea and Careyitos for Advanced Diving. I have also been diving with Fred Good in Belize, Roatan, Cayman and Bahamas. I've been on 6 packs, 20 footers and 50 footers. I dont like small boats for 2 very good reasons. I am one of those people that God decided to make susceptible to sea sickness. I've never spewed on a dive boat but, I have come close. And, twice someone dropped a 3-4 pound weight that missed my foot by maybe an inch on a small boat. It really is a matter of personal preference.

I dive only with Careyitos now. Their boat is a 38 foot Bertram rigged specifically for diving. Typically, there are 10 divers on the boat and usually, they are very experienced. Newbies are always welcome though rare. You dont tell Ricardo where you want to go, he tells you where he is going that day based on his years of experience and information gathered over the last couple of days. I have never been disapointed. Usually, they will put you into the current so that you cover more than one reef per dive. Ricardo and Tony lead the dive while Cielo and Aron follow behind watching the divers. They never split up the group, no need, and the boat IS ALWAYS THERE when I surface. On deep dives I come up after an hour and ten minutes and on shallow dives usually an hour and fifteen minutes. That is plenty for me and I'm normally amongst the first group back on the boat. I've seen Ricardo and Tony stay down for over an hour and a half with other divers.

Do yourself a favor and dive with them one trip. It is a memorable experience every time.

I would HIGHLY recommend Ricardo and Tony of Careyitos. I have been diving with them now for a couple of years and I would trust them with my life!

Not only will you see the best parts of the best reefs, you WILL be a better diver when you leave. They want you to have fun on your vacation, but they also want you to improve.

IMO, they are the best I have ever been diving with!

kevguthrie:
I would HIGHLY recommend Ricardo and Tony of Careyitos. I have been diving with them now for a couple of years and I would trust them with my life!

Not only will you see the best parts of the best reefs, you WILL be a better diver when you leave. They want you to have fun on your vacation, but they also want you to improve.

IMO, they are the best I have ever been diving with!

And, Tonys' guacamole is the best on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom