Cozumel Dive Op Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul is very safety minded 6 pack boat, goes real slow underwater so you see more. Will let other dive parties pass him underwater so to get away from the crowd. Bottom times over 60 min. every dive due to slow relaxed pace. Your not exhausted after your dive. will keep your gear,rinse and dry it, have it set up for the next day. No extra charge for far south dive sites.

Aldora Divers and Liquid Blue are my 2 personal favorites. Both offer larger steel tanks, fast 6 packs, great DMs and they take care of your gear and will have it set up on the boat for you each morning. And I almost forgot the 2 hour surface intervals on the beach. :D

They segregate divers on different boats according to experience.

I have always dived (dove, diven?) with Dive Paradise. That being said, there is a dive op that will support every type of diving you want to do in Cozumel. Beware of people saying this one is better or the best or whatever, or the worst, because they don't really know, and don't have enough experience (as in having dove, dived, diven, whatever) with every dive operation in every conceivable condition to make a competent comparison. Every op mentioned in this thread will have pros and cons, and all are excellent dive ops (and I have dove, dived, doven with them all, at least one trip). I go with Dive Paradise because when the trip is set up I can be sure that the trip will go (no cancellations), they will be on time and pick me up where I need to be picked up (where they said they would), it will be 6 or less divers to the boat and the boat will go where the divers want, not what is convenient for the divemasters, and all of this at a very good price (see www.diveparadise.com for specials and whatnot). Most of all, have a great time and dive safe!

CN

Gotta say I agree with this. There are a thousand threads on this section of the board asking this precise question. You will find all kinds of suggestions - that's because there are lots of great dive ops in Coz. But not necessarily because the people making the recommendations have dived with a wide variety of the Coz operators. Check back through these various threads and see what names appear over and over again and you'll get some sense of who is good and why.

cowboyneal:
there is a dive op that will support every type of diving you want to do in Cozumel. Beware of people saying this one is better or the best or whatever, or the worst, because they don't really know, and don't have enough experience (as in having dove, dived, diven, whatever) with every dive operation in every conceivable condition to make a competent comparison. CN

catherine96821:
I really liked Dive with Martin. We had only 4-6 divers on the boat and they did whatever we wanted...pick up at our dock, lunch at whatever resort we wanted to SI.

maybe we just got lucky and they are usually busier, I am not sure. the boats were very small, pick-ups no problem, etc... easy on the 'rules" etc.

We had David as the DM.

Easy on which rules?

BackDocDiver:
I am looking for a smaller dive boat if possible. I am going with a buddy from college and we are both relatively new divers, so a little more person attention might not hurt. But 8 or 10 probably wouldn't hurt either. Recommendations appreciated. As far as different dive ops, I thought I would just make it easy on myself and use one that is offered there as long as there is a good one. Thanks for the replies so far. Nothing better that drawing from others superior knowledge.
If you want a smaller group try Aldora. They are great for all leavel of divers. We were there in June and took our grandson who is 10 and certified and there were some days there were only the 3 of us on the boat. It was great. But never more than 6 and if for some reason there is we got two dive masters. One day we did have 2 dive masters with 5 of us on the boat and one of them took our grandson and stayed shallow with him while we dove deep it really worked out nicely.

We use Caribbean Divers, they are great with new divers and keep their groups small. They really give personalized service, our "newbie" divers rave about them.
http://www.caribbeandiverscozumel.com/
We've been taking groups to Cozumel for 21 years, and they're our #1 choice. you do need to tell them your skill level and they'll take great care of you, the DM's are great.

Check with them on picking you up at Hotel Cozumel, they do it for us all the time. Cesar, Ruben and the rest of the gang are great divers and great people.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Happy Diving,

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

I've been twice, both times stayed at Hotel Cozumel and dove with Dive Paradise. Hotel Cozumel pros:
Very convenient to pier with under road tunnel
Clean
Decent breakfast and lunch
Waterfront restaurant with small two tiered beach
Largest pool on the island (I think)
About a 15 minutew walk to the plaza

Cons:
Hard beds
Constant chatter around the pool from pool games and bingo(okay if you want to play)
Crappy supper

Dive Paradise pros:
Very convenient to hotel
Many choices of boat sizes
Receptive to choices of sites on morning dives
If asked most DM's will help out if you are a beginner
Dive lockers

Cons:
Slow boats
Nitrox orders are sometimes screwed up
Usually can't dive your air

I am going solo in September (9-16), and staying at Casa Mexicana and diving with Blue XTSea. Something tells me I won't be at Hotel Coz or Dive Paradise after this.

Nevis Diver:
I am going solo in September (9-16), and staying at Casa Mexicana and diving with Blue XTSea. Something tells me I won't be at Hotel Coz or Dive Paradise after this.
Hotel Coz... maybe
Dive Paradise... no

I stayed at Hotel Coz in May, it is not bad but I would never stay there again unless I was guaranteed an oceanfront room away from the infernal racket that goes on around the pool. :light:

You'll really like Casa Mexicana... no pool but the location is great.

As far as Blue XT~Sea... I'll never use anybody else ever again and I think you'll find your hunch is right and feel the same come September

And I might add that I've never been diving with Dive Paradise... and don't feel the need to. Not dissing them but I like the smaller ops. These are opinions formed on my "limited" experience in Cozumel (a lot of which is chronicled below).

Casa Mexicana gets my vote too. It's the cleanest hotel I've stayed in - anywhere. You get a decent free breakfast and you are in walking distance of the best restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom