Cozumel Diving 2/26/12 - Had one tank read 12 ppm CO -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbtut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was with a group in Cancun for the week and we went over on Sunday to Coz. to dive. The Dive op was Deep Blue. I have a ToxiRAE3 CO sensor. I have not calibrated recently, but it is about 1 year old and is stored in an air tight container in a wine cellar when not in use to prolong the sensor life.

That said, the sensor "warmed up" and read 0 just as expected. I filled the first bag with air from the first tank and it slowly climbed to 12ppm. I tested every other tank on the boat and had readings of 0. Re-tested and still had the same reading.

FWIW, 10ppm is the max allowable, so 12ppm is probably not deadly. It was unusual to have a single tank with a higher reading.

The dive boat had a couple extra tanks and the guide was not defensive at all about it. He was happy to set the tank aside and put a rope around the valve to mark it so no-one would use it. I also personally kept track of the number on it so no-one used it.

I want to be very clear that I was pleased with Deep Blue's service. The rental equipment that my friends used was in good condition and I had a computer issue before the dive and they even had a couple spare computers onboard. The dives were good, and they did a great job of making it easy for us to come over from PDC to Coz for an afternoon dive trip. They also had spare tanks, which some trips I've been on would not have had extras available on the boat. I would recomend them and dive with them again.

I believe almost all ops in coz. get air from a central filling station, so it could just have easily been any other dive shop.

I understand that, in large part due to a scubaboard member, Cozumel air stations are monitoring C0. I'm posting this just to suggest that if you have a C0 sensor, it's still worth taking along.

It happens. Some think that you can't get a bad tank from a run of safe tanks, but you can - and just because one tank is clean means nothing about the other tanks.

There are several compressors on Coz really, altho Meridiano supplies many ops - and even tho they have Anaolox Clear monitors, there may still be issues there. I don't know who are getting the DAN donated Clear monitors on Coz, and I certainly don't know if they've been delivered and installed yet. Keep testing. :thumb:

Oh, I'm told that CO sensors don't wear out with air exposure like O2 sensors do, but I keep mine in airtight boxes too. The Analox tank tester has a field calibration knob that can be zeroed before testing, but it'd probably be best to calibrate yours before trips. Your approach to the boat load of tanks sounds sound tho, and good for you testing all. :medal:

Glad you tested, jbtut, and avoided the 12 ppm CO tank :) I wouldn't have dove that tank either.

I was with a group in Cancun for the week and we went over on Sunday to Coz. to dive. The Dive op was Deep Blue. I have a ToxiRAE3 CO sensor. I have not calibrated recently, but it is about 1 year old and is stored in an air tight container in a wine cellar when not in use to prolong the sensor life.

That said, the sensor "warmed up" and read 0 just as expected. I filled the first bag with air from the first tank and it slowly climbed to 12ppm. I tested every other tank on the boat and had readings of 0. Re-tested and still had the same reading.

FWIW, 10ppm is the max allowable, so 12ppm is probably not deadly. It was unusual to have a single tank with a higher reading.

The dive boat had a couple extra tanks and the guide was not defensive at all about it. He was happy to set the tank aside and put a rope around the valve to mark it so no-one would use it. I also personally kept track of the number on it so no-one used it.

I want to be very clear that I was pleased with Deep Blue's service. The rental equipment that my friends used was in good condition and I had a computer issue before the dive and they even had a couple spare computers onboard. The dives were good, and they did a great job of making it easy for us to come over from PDC to Coz for an afternoon dive trip. They also had spare tanks, which some trips I've been on would not have had extras available on the boat. I would recomend them and dive with them again.

I believe almost all ops in coz. get air from a central filling station, so it could just have easily been any other dive shop.

I understand that, in large part due to a scubaboard member, Cozumel air stations are monitoring C0. I'm posting this just to suggest that if you have a C0 sensor, it's still worth taking along.

Dandydon,

You may not realize it, but I think your testing and reporting has gone a long way toward the safety relating to CO. Were it not for reading through your experiences a year or two ago I would not have really been aware that it might be an issue. I bought the toxiRAE after reading your older posts about a year ago.

It's been my experience that I'm usually the only one on the boat with a sensor, and it only takes a couple seconds to test all the tanks, although I have to admit that if I get a 0 reading on the first couple I usually don't test the rest. I might do it going forward.

It's the first time I've ever had a reading show up positive. It was really easy to see, as soon as I filled the bag (I use a 1 gallon ziplock). Only took 10 seconds or so and the numbers settled right at 12.

Dandydon,

You may not realize it, but I think your testing and reporting has gone a long way toward the safety relating to CO. Were it not for reading through your experiences a year or two ago I would not have really been aware that it might be an issue. I bought the toxiRAE after reading your older posts about a year ago.

It's been my experience that I'm usually the only one on the boat with a sensor, and it only takes a couple seconds to test all the tanks, although I have to admit that if I get a 0 reading on the first couple I usually don't test the rest. I might do it going forward.

It's the first time I've ever had a reading show up positive. It was really easy to see, as soon as I filled the bag (I use a 1 gallon ziplock). Only took 10 seconds or so and the numbers settled right at 12.
Well thanks.
Gracias.png

I've seen that unit used hooked up to a BC hose, not in a bag. Good to know. A unit like this one, and a few gallon zip locks? The ToxiRAE 3 is a full-featured single-gas monitor that offers unequaled cost of ownership value and is compatible with the AutoRAE Lite bump and calibration station. Features a 2 year warranty and can record STEL, TWA, high & low alarm. I like the bags with slider handles for easy closing when I use a bag test, and they all seem to leak after some use so I carry several. I thought that unit needed a flow thru, but maybe not.

Dandydon,

Couldn't agree more. Don, someone should cut you a check (or at least fill a few tanks) for your tireless efforts to raise awareness, and maybe more importantly, elicit action, as you did regarding the inline monitors for Cozumel. I also would not own a CO analyzer if it were not for your efforts. Your dedication will surely save lives.

Couldn't agree more. Don, someone should cut you a check (or at least fill a few tanks)
:laughing: No that would take away from the importance of the need, as well as make me look self serving - but thanks. I am glad more divers are testing their tanks, and hope we will hear about any readings found on a SB thread somewhere.

So what happens when a tank is deemed unsuitable for diving by an American tourist? Does the DM use it on a later dive? I hope you guys tip extra :)

Again, thanks to DandyDon for bringing this subject to our attention.

And to jbtut for the report and testing the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom