Cozumel Diving 2/26/12 - Had one tank read 12 ppm CO -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what happens when a tank is deemed unsuitable for diving by an American tourist? Does the DM use it on a later dive? I hope you guys tip extra :)

I believe the tank is probably emptied and sent back to refill with new air. It was set aside on our boat not to be used. Fortunately the dive op stocked the boat with a few extra tanks. For all I know it was left on the boat for the next dive group, but I kinda doubt it.

I think you could probably dive on 12ppm co on a shallow dive and be just fine. If 9ppm is acceptable at 100fsw, I think 12 ppm would be considerably less dangerous at 30fsw.

It would be interesting to compare statistics to see how many people die per year due to DCS vs CO poisoning. Possibly the $200 for a CO tester is a better safety investment than a dive computer? I really have no idea. Just food for thought.

I doubt the statistics are there. The few cases cited are typically guessing that CO poisoning was the cause of death. If it were a real hazard, divers would be dropping like flies in a heavily dove area like Cozumel.

When I made the suggestion to J that we purchase a CO analyzer before our next trip, she asked me why the DMs, who dive there everyday, aren't concerned about CO poisoning. How many DMs die each year from CO poisoning in Cozumel?

I doubt the statistics are there. The few cases cited are typically guessing that CO poisoning was the cause of death. If it were a real hazard, divers would be dropping like flies in a heavily dove area like Cozumel.
When I made the suggestion to J that we purchase a CO analyzer before our next trip, she asked me why the DMs, who dive there everyday, aren't concerned about CO poisoning. How many DMs die each year from CO poisoning in Cozumel?

I'm as altruistic as the next person, but..... My main concern is my wife and myself. I test. I will continue to test. My odds of getting in a vehicle collision where the seatbelt will save my life is very small, yet I wear one every time. I always wore a helmet, local law or not when I actively rode street bikes. I've had many immunizations. I visually and physically verify a weapon is unloaded before further handling it. CO testing falls into the same category for me: people die not doing these things. My safety and safety of those who I love is my personal responsibility. YMMV.

Last edited:
I guess we found a use for the 12 ppm tanks...

One of the reasons that the stats aren't there is for lack of testing. Coz has had about one serious CO indecent a year in recent time that we know of, but no one could find a CO tester to use on the tanks and the local labs weren't qualified to test blood for CO. It took a lot to confirm those cases, but then DAN readily admits that they have no idea how many scuba drownings a year might be based in CO causes as testing was not being done industry wide. This accident http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/413185-fatality-cabo-san-lucas-march-3-a.html is making news all over the web this week, and the family is claiming CO in the tanks, but we really don't know for sure.

Then one week I got CO readings on every tank there! Many of those were confirmed by an anesthesiologist onboard with a different CO tester, then on the last day on the way to dive Cathedral - we got 17 ppm. :eek: We turned the boat, wishing we had tested at the dock before we left. We'd left an hour earlier than usual because of afternoon plans so we just did some shallow dives on that tanks - but shouldn't have. I wouldn't again.

We could guess as to why DMs are not getting ill that we know of, but I'm not going to speculate. We could guess as to how many cases of travelers flu were actually subclinical CO poisoning, but that'd just be speculation. We can guess what's in our tanks, but I test so I can know - as that's the only way to know.

So, if you don't want yours tested, that's fine - your call.

ostrich_head_sand.jpg

Fine, you can call me an ostrich with my head stuck in the sand, I can call you a chicken little worrying about the sky falling.

Reality is: thousands of divers dive Cozumel daily (is that a valid number? I'd guess at least 1,000 divers per day on average, probably more). The vast majority of them do not check their tanks for CO. 99.99% of them survive their dives and the vast majority of those who die from diving in Cozumel do not die from CO poisoning. In fact, the risk of dying in Cozumel from something other than CO poisoning is so much higher than the risk of dying from CO poisoning that I'm honestly surprised you don't do the really safe thing and stay at home.

(I just did 3 dives in Cabo San Lucas in November and the air was fine. No one else on the boat died either.)

In April, I plan to trust the guy who's diving off the same tanks that he's providing me. If I die from CO poisoning, you can use my story to help garner support amongst the pro-CO set. On the other hand, if I don't die or get sick, I'll simply say I told you so.

I guess we found a use for the 12 ppm tanks...

One of the reasons that the stats aren't there is for lack of testing. Coz has had about one serious CO indecent a year in recent time that we know of, but no one could find a CO tester to use on the tanks and the local labs weren't qualified to test blood for CO. It took a lot to confirm those cases, but then DAN readily admits that they have no idea how many scuba drownings a year might be based in CO causes as testing was not being done industry wide. This accident http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/413185-fatality-cabo-san-lucas-march-3-a.html is making news all over the web this week, and the family is claiming CO in the tanks, but we really don't know for sure.

Then one week I got CO readings on every tank there! Many of those were confirmed by an anesthesiologist onboard with a different CO tester, then on the last day on the way to dive Cathedral - we got 17 ppm. :eek: We turned the boat, wishing we had tested at the dock before we left. We'd left an hour earlier than usual because of afternoon plans so we just did some shallow dives on that tanks - but shouldn't have. I wouldn't again.

We could guess as to why DMs are not getting ill that we know of, but I'm not going to speculate. We could guess as to how many cases of travelers flu were actually subclinical CO poisoning, but that'd just be speculation. We can guess what's in our tanks, but I test so I can know - as that's the only way to know.

So, if you don't want yours tested, that's fine - your call.

ostrich_head_sand.jpg

Again....
Tank air is supposed to be clean and free of CO, but we know that sometimes it's not.

If you don't want to do anything about that, fine. Some of us do.

I've lost track of which of the various CO discussions this was posted in, but someone found this article in the Rubicon Repository: CO Poisoning in Recreational Diving

An interesting statistic from this study is that out of 67 fatalities where COHb (blood CO) testing was performed, 2 (3.0%) had significant CO levels, including one case (1.5%) where CO poisoning was "not suspected at the time of the mishap".

Again....
We hear it every time you post. Your sig makes various claims, including the claim that a responsible diver takes responsibility for the gas. That's simply impractical, not to mention offensive. Do you really lug your own compressor to Cozumel and/or O2 clean your tank before each dive?

We hear it every time you post. Your sig makes various claims, including the claim that a responsible diver takes responsibility for the gas. That's simply impractical, not to mention offensive. Do you really lug your own compressor to Cozumel and/or O2 clean your tank before each dive?
Why the gross exaggeration...?

Nothing at all impractical, much less offensive. Ever used a Nitrox portable O2 analyzer? Their CO analyzer is the same size & shape, but red - and as easy to use. Lazy, cheap, or careful. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom