Cozumel or Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TommyG74

Registered
Reaction score
Going on a cruise on about a month, I have already booked a dive in Belize with Sea Sports, has been highly recommended on these boars, Now my wife and I aren't sure whether we want to dive in Cozumel or Grand Cayman, anyone have some good insight, which would be better?

I'd recommend Grand Cayman first due to easier dives and Cozumel second for more advanced drift diving due to the strong current. Dive both if you can... Enjoyed diving in both locals this Feb/Mar as an AOW diver. :D

Well we decided to go diving in grand cayman, the question is shore diving or boat dives. I see there are plenty of operators, not sure if we should use the ship or outside ops. We are in port from 10 am to 6pm. Any thoughts?

I'm not an expert on the geography of GC, but if you are able I would highly recommend diving with Divetech. Your 10am arrival will be too late for most dive operator's AM 2 tank and I rarely do boat dives in the afternoon so I'm also unsure what you're looking at as far as time goes with that so I would recommend a shore dive. Divetech has two fabulous shore locations -- Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast -- with a nice walls within a 5min or so swim from shore. GC has some great shore dives and that would probably be your best bet because of your time restrictions.

Last edited:
Tommy your arrival and departure times make it hard to book an independant dive op for a boat dive,the cruise ship op is probably Don Fosters which is a cattle boat.If your ship arrives at 10 A.M. you might not get to shore before 11 so your time is critical.You do have some shore dive options;

Eden Rock which is within walking distance of the cruise terminal.Problem there is crowds of snorkelers and divers.It is not a bad dive when not crowded.

Sunset House which is a long walk or short cab ride which is not a bad shore dive .

Cracked Conch - Sundivers also called the turtle farm dive.You either need to take a bus (Readily Available) or a cab to the West Bay area almost across from the Turtle farm.Great mini wall with large schools of Tarpon.Also a reasturant on premise .

Lighthouse Point just a little before Turtle farm another good shore dive especially for macro critters.

Lobster box a short walk from the cruise dock - I think they do shore diving .

Given your time constraints I think these pretty much cover your options unless you are willing to pay for a private charter.

Have fun !!

Sunset House also has a nice bar/restuarant on premise.If they have a class going on in the pool you won't be allowed to use it.Plan on taking a cab it's not that close and there really are no sidewalks.

Back
Top Bottom