Cozumel Plan for Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I told fiancee I put a post up here and we'd likely have a few replies by the weekend. I should have known better! Awesome advice.

Well, I mean except for that one!

(I had to say that since she'll be reading this. : )

I'll check out the other venues mentioned. We're not going down 'till late Nov. so I figure I have another week or two to book without worrying about availability. Sounds like everyone's had fun there one way or another.

Scott

Scott, let me address first your not so long winded question. YES, it is a hassle.And yes, not most but ALL of the dive sites are way south.

Au contraire, it is most but not all. San Juan and Barracuda reefs are north of town. And Villablanca Wall is just a little south of the lighthouse. It also depends on what you mean by "way" south; there are quite a few dive sites well north of the southern resorts.

Au contraire, it is most but not all. San Juan and Barracuda reefs are north of town. And Villablanca Wall is just a little south of the lighthouse. It also depends on what you mean by "way" south; there are quite a few dive sites well north of the southern resorts.

I ruled out San Juan and Barracuda ( strong currents ) because he presented himself as a newbie though I believe he meant new to cozumel. His bride is definitely a new diver. Never been on Villablanca. The better dive sites, imo, start with Tuniche which is just off shore from the old Reef Club. That's way south to me.

Play your golf at the Cozumel C.C. You dont want to schlep your clubs onto the ferry over to Playa just to play golf there. HUGE pain in the A$$. You'll spend an entire day and a lot of money to play 18 holes.

Personally, I wouldn't schlep my clubs to Cozumel. If you are also taking dive gear, that would be a nightmare to lug your gear and clubs through the airport. I took my gear and clubs to Beaver Lake in my pickup truck and that was bad enough.

Coz Country Club is great. I love it. But the mainland courses are a little nicer. Besides, Coz Country Club is a bit overpriced if you aren't staying at a hotel that offers a discount. JMO...

Here's my 20 pesos (inflation):

Neither the Occ Grand OR the Melia for your honeymoon! My top four picks for honeymooners are in no special order:
  • El Cantil (condos) - Luxurious, close to town, most dive ops will pick up there for diving, great pool, hot tub on your own private ocean view terrace, can save a little money on meals. Since you have a full kitchen you can have your own stash of beer, sodas, water, etc. and breakfast and lunch stuff if nothing else.
  • Presidente - The nicest hotel on the island, perfect location for diving because you wil lhave ALL sites accessible to you that are within your ability and experience level, close enough to town for a short inexpensive cab ride to experience some of he great restaurants for dinner and/or lunch, great beach and amenities, golf discount,
  • Cozumel Palace - Great location for everything, almost all dive ops will pick up, luxurious, en suite hot tubs, golf discount - and of the AI properties, have it on good authority that the food here is heads and shoulders above the other AI's
  • Playa Azul - Inconvenient for diving, but great little boutique hotel for honeymooners, great beach, close to town for a quick inexpensive cab ride, free golf ($180 per round value)

Disclaimers:
I do not recommend staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel unless you are traveling with kids, a big group, or you plan to drink yourself silly - OR...unless you got such a great deal on it that you can still justify eating outside of the hotel. Some places the AI's make sense because there aren't a great variety of great restaurants in the area and/or they are too expensive. NOT true in Cozumel.

We have some really great restaurants for every single budget here and AI food is generally recycled buffet food with every Tom, Dick and Harry spreading their germs around the food that sits out all day...or at least for hours. When I have a sick diver, 90% of the time it's someone that has been eating the AI buffet.

Here is a small sampling of the restaurants Coz has to offer: Christi's Restaurant List

As far as your diving experience and your' wife's newbie status....no problem. The key is to contact some dive ops, ask questions and go with who you feel comfortable going with. Decide what ammenities are important to you for your diving as well because we are priced all over the board...as low as $55 and as high as $95 with alot of us somewhere in the middle. The price variances are just like with anything else...no frills ride to the reefs will cost you less. A dive op who offers more frills and services (ie: gear rinsing and storage, towels, snacks on board) will cost you more.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials....and have a wonderful honeymoon! I hope this helps!

So I told fiancee I put a post up here and we'd likely have a few replies by the weekend. I should have known better! Awesome advice.

Well, I mean except for that one!

(I had to say that since she'll be reading this. : )

I'll check out the other venues mentioned. We're not going down 'till late Nov. so I figure I have another week or two to book without worrying about availability. Sounds like everyone's had fun there one way or another.

Scott

Sorry about that, dude. Just tell her I'm one of the board troublemakers.:wink:

I'd have to agree with those recommending Cozumel Palace/El Cantil (they are adjacent to one another) and the Presidente, if cost is not an object. You will not experience all what is so nice about Cozumel if you are not close to town and able to easily get in, walk around, eat etc. There are great restaurants for all prices but my favouites are the cheapy mom-and-pops patronized by locals on 15th and east.

Bring good walking shoes!

One negative of staying to the far south (Oc. Grand) is that you won't get to dive a number of the mid to north dive sites. These sites are mostly shallower and make great second dives.

I don't mind a little bit longer boat ride. It gives me an opportunity to get to know the rest of the divers and chat with the crew. That time can be what you might otherwise remember a nondescript day of diving by. Many great friends and memories.

For the most part, any dive op can pick you up at any resort, with logical distance limits. I strongly recommend spending a few more dollars and using a smaller more service oriented op for your wife.

FWIW

The rooms and pools at Melia are nice, however the beach is pretty nasty as you get all the water from the mangroves flowing past (think river water brown). While the food was plentiful it was definately "de-tuned" from typical mexican fare and wasn't as good as it could have been. I dove with Dive with Martin when I was there and was happy with them. The "in room" jaccuzzis from what I saw might fit one person comfortably.

Mike

Leaning towards the Presidente or Palace now! We'll have to make a choice this weekend. I like the Presidente because I can feel all Presidente-like maybe. (Or not.)

Either way, great tips. I'm sure others will find this thread and be thinking, "whoa" that's what I needed to know as well.

It's not like we're going via Private Jet right to the Villa, but we're willing to go a bit overboard on this one. (Yes, that pun was intended.) So this weekend it'll be the Big Cozumel Price/Value/Features Comparison.

And no worries Hockeynut, others have told me similar. So I just have to explain the deal. I've really no choice here. With all the restraining orders from the other women in town, it's really hard to date. : ) This one seems to put up with me for some reason. So I've really just got to keep her.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom