Cozumel trip report feb 2014 - lots of photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been questioned or had my carryon's weighed In this part of the world. Asia is different as you know, they enforce the 15lb carry on limit. If I was ever called on weight going to the Caribbean, I would do what I do for Asia. Which is my housing, complete with Nikon D90 inside goes in the carryon (just under 15lbs). Arms go in my checked luggage. Both strobes go in my Scotte vest. Easy fix. 2 of the best investments I've ever made, AO Cooler and Scotte vest! Similar adjustments are made to my vid gear too. Lights in my vest, arms checked, housing and cam under 15lbs in back pack.
I snipped the United stuff. That only works assuming there's room and it's not an RJ. But you're right, they never weigh them, it's more about volume.

I stopped carrying anything in a regular carry-on after the time EVA bitched about my bag being too big for one of their 747s and that was in business class. I convinced them it was so important to me that I'd die without it, so they stuck it in one of their utility closets to shut me up. My housing is heavy (metal, not plastic), my Ike strobes and batteries are heavy, and I can't do too much without the arms anyway so it all gets checked. Camera and lenses go on my waist in a fanny pack, laptop and reg in my backpack, they can easily fit under the seat of any sort of plane.

Westjet no longer has a weight limit on my carry on or camera bag (my personal item). They do have a size restriction which I see ignored constantly but the simple requirement is that you must be able to lift it up into the storage cabinet without assistance. My carry on weighed 35 pounds last trip & most of that was camera equipment for the air show which was cancelled. My camera bag is a Think Tank Speed Racer & when it's full it just fits under the seat as required.

Yeah, I flew EVA "Elite" class to Thailand and Indo. Both times was weighed and made it :) The Indo trip, I hit the tix counter with my vest loaded with a 13" Airbook, Ipad, Vid lights, and TONS off smaller stuff. My wife's purse had strobes, and lenses. Soon as you get through the tix counter, everything goes back to the carryons :) Both my housings are metal too. Try weighing your housing alone...I'm curious how much it comes in at. Like I mentioned, my Aquatica with DSLR inside and dome port are just under 15lbs. Of course the AO Cooler is light.

Sorry ColoDale!! Threadjack off!!! :D

Good shots Dale......but---in your wildest dreams, did we get the same blue tang???.....shot last Saturday---March 1.....:)..

13021844455_89c7aa5d42_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice TR and pics! I had the same issue with TTL, have never used it. Just seems like more connections/cables that can go bad anyways. Also, don't know if you saw the recent thread about the AO soft sided coolers. Leave that Pelican at home! :wink: My whole DSLR rig is assembled and stuffed in the cooler, which is also my rinse tank and tote on the boat.

I did see those threads and even as carry on, things get banged around so I go overboard and deal with the size and weight. No problems with airlines but haven't travelled Asia. Though the rinse tank on the boat would be nice. I will keep it in mind tho. Thanks.
I did have a friend whose TTL connections leaked which is one more issue to deal with but on the other hand in current it would be nice to not have to manually adjust strobes while bracketing. I could end up with more and better shots. Right now my camera shoots better than I do so once I get better I can start tackling other issues.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 08:59 PM ----------

If I've done this correctly the link will take you to 2 photo files you can use to calibrate your monitor through the video card controls or at least help you set the brightness to match your printer's output brightness. You print the file EXACTLY as downloaded, you don't adjust it in any way. Print it (or both) & then use the print as your sample to calibrate or adjust your monitor. If the print is darker than what you see on your monitor (which it will usually be) turn your monitor's brightness down until both appear the same. You most likely won't get it perfect because the image on your monitor is back lit while the print just reflects light. Once you get the print & monitor as close to being the same as you can that's the setting you should use for editing.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1161...s/5988556991685944337?authkey=CPmXraqW8IyvqgE

Choose a photo & then use the MORE tab to select download image. Each photo is close to a 2 megabite file

Thanks, it's something I need to do. We just like bright monitors so I have to decide what is more important - our bright preference and risk having others view photos electronically darker or having to adjust each photo I print. Thankfully I don't print too many photos (Ink costs mostly). But again thanks for the info, it will save me time searching the internet for methods.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2014 at 09:01 PM ----------

Good shots Dale......but---in your wildest dreams, did we get the same blue tang???.....shot last Saturday---March 1.....:)..

13021844455_89c7aa5d42_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Could be. Definitely a different reef - maybe it moved. Mine and this one definitely were good profiles.

Nice report and great shots! Thanks!

You don't need to use my info to use your computer for most uses but if you do as I've suggested & note the setting you can revert to the brightness when editing to print. On the other hand I use 2 desktops & a laptop at home & once I got used to just how each displays whatever I'm looking at they all look pretty much the same. (the 2 desktops have monitors which are very accurate relative to photo editing but the laptop is just an as shipped older Dell & things look pretty good on it even though it's not calibrated in any way.) It's rather surprising that once you get used to it a monitor set at roughly 20% of it's brightness looks the same as at 100% after a while.

Sideways: Can you only buy the scottevest on-line? That would be a great gift for my hubby.

Betty

Though the rinse tank on the boat would be nice.
I find it easier to dive off a boat that already has a rinse tank. That's one of many reasons why I dive with Living Underwater, the "Jewfish" has a liveaboard-sized camera tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom