Cozumel trip report feb 2014 - lots of photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideways: Can you only buy the scottevest on-line? That would be a great gift for my hubby.

Betty

Not sure Betty, I bought mine online though. If it's a shipping problem for you down there, you could ship it to me and I'll bring it 4/29. We'll be there for 2 weeks at Blue Angel.

Not sure Betty, I bought mine online though. If it's a shipping problem for you down there, you could ship it to me and I'll bring it 4/29. We'll be there for 2 weeks at Blue Angel.
Or ship it to me and I'll bring it, yep, sure I will.

Here is the video from Daniel Sette who dove with us this trip (along with his son). He graciously separated this from his Picasa/google album and posted it on YouTube. This is the end where the eagle ray breached. I think before this he was shooting stills and switched to video. Thank you Dan.

I was below and behind the main group and I think I am the diver at the end kicking my self for not bringing my camera that day. As you can see the eagle ray is good sized. The diver at the beginning is my wife who is 6 ft tall. The other divers who were closer said that the eagle ray had a shark sucker or remora on or near it's eye and was trying to remove it, either on us or by breaching.

MAH00993 - YouTube

Here is the video from Daniel Sette who dove with us this trip (along with his son). He graciously separated this from his Picasa/google album and posted it on YouTube. This is the end where the eagle ray breached. I think before this he was shooting stills and switched to video. Thank you Dan.

I was below and behind the main group and I think I am the diver at the end kicking my self for not bringing my camera that day. As you can see the eagle ray is good sized. The diver at the beginning is my wife who is 6 ft tall. The other divers who were closer said that the eagle ray had a shark sucker or remora on or near it's eye and was trying to remove it, either on us or by breaching.

MAH00993 - YouTube

Thanks Don - I don't post video much

Dale, did Lori see the ray? She is swimming away in the video. Or was she just getting out of the way since she was stroking. I've never seen her stroke.

yes she saw it and is getting out of the way in the video. The eagle ray approached her several times and closer I think. She said she was getting kissed by the ray - it was close but not shown in the video. Dan (shooter) switched from still to video while it was there so he didn't get the whole thing. I don't think it was being aggressive as much as we think it was trying to pawn off the remora/shark sucker on us. Lorie said it was on or near it's eye. I think it got rid of it by breaching.

On my last dive we saw one or two eagle ray breach....and it was a first for us. I didn't even know they did that.

Thanks for sharing the video to show it from the underwater perspective

Cool
Betty

Raul - our owner/DM - told us that many years ago there was a large eagle ray breach that landed in a boat or one from which he was working (I don't recall the details from his story). Since it was so large the divers could not reboard and the captain could not get it out. He said unfortuantely it died. The divers had to be recovered by other boats while the boat with the eagle ray had to go to port.
On this dive I am kinda glad we were spread out because I don't think the eagle ray really cared where it came down. I sure would not want to be under it.

Back
Top Bottom