Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am gonna try to go on a cruise hopefully next may if I can get my days off at work that I need. I am probably gonna be going to Mexico. Gonna try to go to two places, one being Progresso and the other being Cozumel. I am thinking to do a dive trip while I am there. It says that it would take about 4 hours and cost between $50 and $100 dollars. Just wondering if anyone has ever been scuba diving in cozumel and if so what was your experience like? Would you do it again if you had the chance, (in Cozumel)?

Cozumel is one of the best diving destinations in the world. Pity you'll only be there for one day! I've been probably 6 times?, usually week long trips and have always enjoyed it. Its absolutely worth diving if you've never been. Search around ScubaBoard and you'll find plenty of trip reports and pictures of things you might see. Enjoy!

Cozumel is a very popular dive location. So popular it has its own forum here on Scubaboard. You may want to look through it and read some of the posts there. Coming in on a cruise isn't the best way to experience Cozumel diving IMO, but it certainly beats a poke in the eye. :) The cruise ships tend to contract for their excursions with "cattle boats" (lots of divers on a boat), whereas many divers tend to prefer a smaller boat with 4-6 divers. You can book your own dives on a smaller boat, but then timing becomes more challenging, depending on when you arrive and leave from Cozumel.

But the diving there is very very good, either way.

If your ship comes into the International pier, you can dive with "Dive With Martin"- their shop is right where you embark from the ships. I've used them on two trips now. You're looking at about $70 for a two tank trip, and they include all equipment except a wetsuit ($10). Usually 4-8 divers per boat.

Easyrider, if the option to use Dive with Martin works, I would definitely second the recommendation. I just dove with their operation this month on a trip to Cozumel (was there Nov 7-14) and they were really great--very service oriented, extra helpful, very friendly. Check their web site for info on booking from cruise ships:

Home Page

....and definitely check out the scubaboard cozumel forum!

The problem that I've seen with divers trying to plan dives arriving on a cruise ship in Coz is that they seem to be bent on making sure that the shore times conflict with most DiveOps schedules.

The cruises I've looked at going to Coz have shore time from 10:00am~4:00pm. With those hours you are too late for most AM dives, and 4:00pm is difficult to manage for a PM dive as many won't get you back in time.

I'm not clear is this is intentional (likely) or not, but what that results in is having to schedule the dive through the Cruise Line. I have ZERO personal experience booking dives through a Cruise, but from what others have said it's expensive, and one may not be all too happy with the DiveOp, or the buddies on a given boat.

This is likely highly dependent on what one wants in a Dive day, so YMMV! :D

I would go with an OP like Dive with Martin, and attempt to charter the boat. The only problem with chartering outside of the Cruise line is that if something goes wrong, and you miss the boat, they don't wait. Kinda there way of saying, pay our inflated prices, or face the potential consequences! :shakehead:

Easyrider,

Small world. I work just up the road in Roanoke.

We have not tried to dive on a cruise yet but lots of people do. The place we dive with on Cozumel has a 10:00 am boat that would probalby work well with your schedule. Blue Angel Dive Shop. E-mail them and tell Jeanie ,Randy and Angie said hi.

Just wondering if anyone has ever been scuba diving in cozumel and if so what was your experience like? Would you do it again if you had the chance, (in Cozumel)?

No one ever scuba dives in Cozumel, and those who have dared to dive in Cozumel won't come back. Sorry, couldn't resist...just a funny question to be asking on a forum dedicated to diving in Cozumel.

Cozumel is world known as one of the top dive destinations, so if you have the opportunity to dive here, I definitely would take advantage of it. Progresso on the other hand...is not at all a dive destination, and I would be surprised if diving is even offered there.

As others have said, your ship arrival time, departure time and time of year even will be a big factor in how many dive operations you have to choose from. Once you get your cruise booked, let us know your ship arrival and departure time, and we can steer you in the right direction...although considering it willbe your first dive in Cozumel ever...you'll be WOWED regardless of who you end up diving with.

The problem that I've seen with divers trying to plan dives arriving on a cruise ship in Coz is that they seem to be bent on making sure that the shore times conflict with most DiveOps schedules.

[...]

I'm not clear is this is intentional (likely) or not, but what that results in is having to schedule the dive through the Cruise Line.

I doubt that it's intentional; IMO it's far more likely that they give it no consideration whatsoever. The vast majority of folks on cruise ships do not dive.

The only problem with chartering outside of the Cruise line is that if something goes wrong, and you miss the boat, they don't wait. Kinda there way of saying, pay our inflated prices, or face the potential consequences! :shakehead:

Again, I don't think it's a conspiracy. Anything you do that takes you out of the cruise ship's organized programs puts you on your own responsibilty to make it to the boat by sailing time. If they book you on one of their activities, they coordinate the schedules 1) because they can, and 2) because they have to.

easyerider003, One dive in Cozumel – Will make you realized that a cruise vacation was a mistake if you like to dive of course! However wile you are in Progresso you can go diving with the wale sharks in Holbox Island is north of Yucatan. Is beautiful. I am not sure if the Cruise offer a short excursion to Holbox . but you can ask the local’s how to get there is about 7 or 10 miles prx. I hope you have a great time in MY HOME TOWN (Cozumel)
Have fun! And when you comeback share some photos. I missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom