Cramps - how to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take it on the chin for this... use SPLIT FINS! I used to get leg cramps with my US Divers (now Aqualung) Blades but when I switched to Apollo BioFins they disappeared. Of course being in good shape, eating proper food and keeping hydrated can help too.

This.

And no coffee, tea or caffeinated soda. Caffeine is a diuretic, and increases dehydration. You should be hydrating the night before a dive, not trying to make up for it last minute. If you're not peeing, you're not hydrated, and if your not peeing (almost) clear, you're not hydrated.

Not to hijack but this is one of the biggest misconception in nutrition. Caffeine does not help but it does not hurt either.

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not? - Mayo Clinic

Not to hijack but this is one of the biggest misconception in nutrition. Caffeine does not help but it does not hurt either.

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not? - Mayo Clinic

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. With all due respect to the author of that article, I see no study references, and I'll bet dollars to donuts she hasn't been on a deployment and seen the results first hand.

Moderation my friends. Moderation. AND hydrate.

If one is hooked on caffeine, which a lot of us are, you get headaches and queasy stomach if you don't get your morning fix. If your body is adjusted to the morning routine of a cup or 2 of coffee there is really no sense is varying from the routine. Now if you want to talk about increasing your morning fix then that is entirely different.

Lynn, I appreciate your experience and knowledge, but I think you are wrong in this case. I DO cramp badly without the potassium and have almost no problems with it. I can get it from a sports drink, from salt pills etc. but one of my dive buddies mentioned that V8 had a bunch of potassium and our cramping problems went away from that moment. I get cramps as I relax and cool down after a day at work and also wake up in the middle of the night with bad cramps. If I drink Gatorade in sufficient quantity or some V8 I just don't have the problem.

Conditioning might help, certain fins help which is why I dive splits, but potassium does it.

Brian

It's not so much that I am wrong, as that a) the plural of anecdote is not data, and b) your experience is not blinded, and therefore may be biased.

The statement that significantly low potassium is rare in healthy, unmedicated adults is a true one. In addition, despite what has been written, dehydration is also rare in people who are not dealing with high temperatures and who have unlimited access to fluids. Caffeine-containing fluids are net hydration, as are sugar and electrolyte solutions, so long as the electrolytes are not hypertonic. There is a LOT of mumbo-jumbo in the health food literature, but little of it has any basis in science.

Low magnesium is common in alcoholics, but not very common, again, in healthy individuals eating a varied diet.

The bottom line is that diving, and kicking with fins, uses muscles we don't always use, in ways we don't usually use them, and the muscles are likely to cramp. Conditioning, stretching, and sometimes reducing the workload are all strategies for avoiding cramps. If you want to eat bananas or drink orange juice, have at it -- it's not going to hurt anything except your waistline!

Last edited:
It's not so much that I am wrong, as that a) the plural of anecdote is not data, and b) your experience is not blinded, and therefore may be biased.

The statement that significantly low potassium is rare in healthy, unmedicated adults is a true one. In addition, despite what has been written, dehydration is also rare in people who are not dealing with high temperatures and who have unlimited access to fluids. Caffeine-containing fluids are net hydration, as are sugar and electrolyte solutions, so long as the electrolytes are not hypertonic. There is a LOT of mumbo-jumbo in the health foot literature, but little of it has any basis in science.

Low magnesium is common in alcoholics, but not very common, again, in healthy individuals eating a varied diet.

The bottom line is that diving, and kicking with fins, uses muscles we don't always use, in ways we don't usually use them, and the muscles are likely to cramp. Conditioning, stretching, and sometimes reducing the workload are all strategies for avoiding cramps. If you want to eat bananas or drink orange juice, have at it -- it's not going to hurt anything except your waistline!

I fully understand the value of double blind studies. It may be my subconscious waking me up with my legs cramped in the middle of the night if I go a few days without carefully taking something with lots of potassium. But my subconscious doesn't do that to me on evenings when I have a V8! Bottom line for me is I cramped a lot while diving. Split fins helped but were not the cure. That wasn't double blinded either. Salt tablets helped some. Since we started carefully drinking our V8 before diving I have not had more than a minor cramp while diving and that quickly goes away. If it is a placebo and it works that is a good thing! Cheap and easy to try too.

I'll take it on the chin for this... use SPLIT FINS! I used to get leg cramps with my US Divers (now Aqualung) Blades but when I switched to Apollo BioFins they disappeared. Of course being in good shape, eating proper food and keeping hydrated can help too.

Yeah now that I think about it I think my cramp reduction came sometime around when I switched to splits. But there are many good ideas here, and in other "cramp" threads. My addition is to say that when I started taking a potassium pill daily I would guess my (very serious) cramping was reduced by 80%. I'm in good shape for my age (doc says so....) and the physical fitness and other ideas are probably right on, but I would believe heredity plays a part as well--my mom was a terrific tennis player (one of the first 2 women players ever on TV, so I'm told), and she was plagued with cramps.

On the potassium side, and "eat your bananas", I love bananas, but how many of you have encountered boat captains who have a phobic superstition against bananas on board? I grew up around the water and hadn't heard of it til about 15 years ago. I'm occasionally a captain and do not object to bananas, though I do have other superstitions. What gives with banana-hate??

I've heard this from a couple of Captains and divers as well. If you google it, you'll find stories about poison spiders and boats full of dead crew bringing bananas from South America to the USA.

For cramps, I used to drink a lot of Gatorade on dive days. Now, I just try to eat properly, exercise regularly and keep hydrated. I think 4 days a week on the treadmill 1/2 an hour at a time has done more to battle my cramps than all the Gatorade and bananas in the world.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. With all due respect to the author of that article, I see no study references, and I'll bet dollars to donuts she hasn't been on a deployment and seen the results first hand.

I agree, we disagree. I didn't go down the rabbit hole very far I will admit. Stopped when it said "Mayo Clinic" in the url. Didn't feel the need to validate on such a minor thing.

Resume thread.

Back
Top Bottom