Crappy Dive Boat on Maui Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridagulfpalms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all who are heading out to Maui. Stay away from the Maui diamond ll dive boat!!!!

We went out with them in December to Moklini. My husband and I are certified and our two friends were not. We were taken out by a dive master name cat. And our friends were doing a resort dive. The instructor for them was an Asian girl named Jeni. Well I have never been on a boat where the crew members were SO Pretentious. They acted as if they were the best in the world and so full of themselves. The instructor who took out our friends acted like that mean teacher you had in grade school and treated them as if they were 10 years old. And the dive master was talking about how great she was in a manner of speaking. The tours we all went on were horrible a crowded group of beginner dives bumping into everyone the dive master had NO control of the group. And we have done over 200+ Dives. The second dive they took us to could have been done right there off the shore. We should have just went off shore.

Be warned stay away from the Maui diamond ll in Maui!!!!!!

Welcome to SB! I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You'll find people here can be a little suspicious when a first post (or posts) serves only to complain about a charter op or dive shop. Also, be aware that the subjects of such complaints may be or know SB members and are routinely invited to respond to criticism. Not saying it didn't happen but this forum is a community and the people who run it try very hard to keep things fair. How about introducing yourself and filling out your profile so we can know a little more about you? What did you enjoy about your trip? I hope you stick around to share your other diving experiences with us or otherwise participate in the discussion.

Last edited:
Since your only posts are to trash someone - they have no credence whether they are true or not!

My wife and I were in Maui last june. We mostly did shore dives but we did a day of boat diving with the Maui diamond ll.

We had a great time and the boat crew was fun and safe.

In past trips to Maui we have dove with Scuba Shack & Extended Horizons.

When we go back to Maui we will be diving the Maui Diamond II.

Yes, I agree Selkie But I thought our experience was well worth letting people Know. I am generally NOT a judgmental person but when four of us had such a bad time, I thought it was prudent to warn others so they don't experience what we did.

I just googled it. The Maui Diamond II is a boat. It's somewhat uncommon for a dive boat to always have the same crew. It's quite possible taht the boat was hired by the shop you signed up for... ergo, it doesn't seem logical to blame the operator of the boat.

In fact, what you were really upset about was the arrogance of two crewmembers.

You also mentioned a big group of beginners bumping into each other.... I would submit that this isn't neccessarily uncommon either (although mentioning it usually sparks heated discussions about training standards). The fact that the DM didn't have "control" of everyone seems to follow from your comment about the bumping around but it's hard to tell from what you wrote if the situation was really that chaotic or it just didn't meet your expectations. One thing I do know, however, is that boat crews are normally not held accountable for the diving skills (or lack thereof) of their clients. If people were bumping into each other I have trouble understandiing how that would be the fault of the dive-guide.

As for the choice of location, you might have wanted to complain about that to the operator and rectify it with them. It's not nice when you pay for a boat trip and then go to a location you could have swimmed to from shore. I wouldn't like that either.

All in all, what this looks like is that the crew didn't live up to your expectations and you're blaming the operator of the boat for it.

R..

The owner and operater WAS on board and he was the captian. As for the the bumping into each other statement. It WAS in the dive masters control because she was pulling an octopus out of its home and trying to get everyone to handle it in a hurry. I did not mention this intrusive invasion of the poor creature inking every bit it had. But that is why she instigated the coyotic frezny of divers. The captain/owner condowned this. He was joining inon the post dive discussion about how cool it is to handle octopus. That also sickens me! As for the dive crew. We specifly asked them "How long have you been on this boat?" and our Dive master cat said about 3 years. The the other one Jeni said about 2 years. So in my opinion the owner/ operater Maui Dreams is well aware of the actions of his crew.

I just googled it. The Maui Diamond II is a boat. It's somewhat uncommon for a dive boat to always have the same crew. It's quite possible taht the boat was hired by the shop you signed up for... ergo, it doesn't seem logical to blame the operator of the boat.

On Maui, it is very common for a dive boat to have the same crew for years. We've been diving with the same two operators for 6 years, and with one have had the same crew members (in different combinations) during that entire time, with the other there's been some change, but we always have one or two crew members we've known for years on our charter.

The Maui Diamond II is operated by Maui Dreams dive shop. Maui Dreams has an excellent reputation as a shop and shore diving company. Personally, I think the OP needs to contact Maui Dreams and let them know what they experienced instead of simply posting a negative review here.

The owner and operater WAS on board and he was the captian. As for the the bumping into each other statement. It WAS in the dive masters control because she was pulling an octopus out of its home and trying to get everyone to handle it in a hurry. I did not mention this intrusive invasion of the poor creature inking every bit it had. But that is why she instigated the coyotic frezny of divers. The captain/owner condowned this. He was joining inon the post dive discussion about how cool it is to handle octopus. That also sickens me! As for the dive crew. We specifly asked them "How long have you been on this boat?" and our Dive master cat said about 3 years. The the other one Jeni said about 2 years. So in my opinion the owner/ operater Maui Dreams is well aware of the actions of his crew.

What exactly is a "coyotic frezny"?

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom