Crime in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkyspelunker:
OK, lets put this theory to the test, can all of you who got car/truck parts stolen from your rental car, and were later charged for it please list the rental company you used? Maybe we'll see a trend :)

Yes, I had a car that was stolen from me by the rental company that leased it to me in Bonaire. (I became aware of this through a young friend in the local Police Dept)

They then attempted to run my $250 seperate Visa "deposit" imprint as a fee for the "loss". I had signed it with a flourish (after protesting the thing) with my name, "void".

They tried presenting it twice, then forged my signature. VISA did not look well upon this.

They are now out of business. (at least by that name they used back then).

Bonair is a unique delight. Just don't leave anything unattended.

Hello everyone.....

I had just got back from Bonaire 2 weeks ago......WOW...what a place for divers....we had a great time....no doubt....

I started this thread wanting to know the reputation of Bonaire...after getting there the place alone and the ease of diving made me forget all the hype I read on the internet.......

Now mind you....this was before we returned our truck......

On our departure day on October 23rd....we find on the last day there a nice softball sized dent in the front drivers side quaterpanel....and if that wasnt bad ......we didnt even notice the spare tire was missing......

I examined all my digital pictures I took when I was down there and couldnt get a good shot that I took to see what time anyone could of snatched it......(then again...I wasnt down there to take pictures of the truck!)

We dove mainly the southern sites and away from town....so we didnt think anyone would mess with it that far south.......

The only other time we could think anyone would have the opprotunity would be at our hotel (SandDollar) when we were sleeping.....

We purchased the insurance .....thank god....which paid for everything....

Other than that.....it still left a bad taste in our mouth.......

Would I go back????? Dam right I would...the place is still worth it.....

Just make sure you get the insurance.......and no valuables left in the car......and enjoy the diving....

Next time I will be bringing a small portable entry alarm with me just to see who it spooks up....just for the fun of it.......

Oh well....thats my 10 cents worth.....

NightRaven77

I dug this out of my photo's..............which tells me if they have to go to this extent to warn people there must be a legit reason for it.....

And you wonder why Bonaire has a bad rep???......well....they kind of start things off on a bad impression first....wouldnt you all agree.??

NightRaven77

"Let's assume 2 break ins per month. I'm fairly sure it's less than that, but let's stay on the liberal side. That would come to 0.4% of all rentals suffering a break in; one in 250."

Seems to be far too many and frequent first hand experiences on this board for that to be true.

"......we didnt even notice the spare tire was missing......"

With a place that small, I wonder where the market for spare tires and jacks is? Definitely a demand or they would not steal them. It's as simple as that. But not the rental companys??

If this situation gets much publicity I would bet it would spur some action.

Raven....that's priceless! It up to the tourist to prevent the damage done by the thieves by not trying to secure their belongings?!?!

Northeastwrecks:
Stupid question time.

Why would I possibly want to go someplace where I need to take the type of measures that have been suggested in this thread? Emptying my car and securing my valuables are what I would do if I were forced to go to the slums of Boston or New York for some reason. Its not what I expect on my vacation.

To suggest that people should accept it is absurd. Better to suggest that Bonaire clean up its act.

I'm certainly aware that several Carribean islands have issues with security and with tourist safety. However, there are still places where you can go and not need to worry about the locals looting you blind. ...<snip>
Reports of rampant looting, such as those described in this post and in others on this board, are precisely the reason that I won't go to Bonaire.

I agree! Whether the 'rampant looting' reports are exagerated or not, I still have no desire to go somewhere that'll I'd constantly be wondering IF my stuff was safe. In addition to the looting of rental cars at dive sites, I've read several reports of condos and resort rooms being tossed. The fact that's it's an accepted practice and part of the trip experience is something I don't want to deal with.

I hear nothing but great things about the diving in Bonaire but there are too many other places with great diving to have to take my chances on Bonaire.

Ya'll just keep telling me how great it is and I'll keep saying I'm glad you like it.

Dee:
I hear nothing but great things about the diving in Bonaire but there are too many other places with great diving to have to take my chances on Bonaire.

I agree completely, I cancelled my trip there. I'm looking now for somewhere else where theft isn't the status quo.

funkyspelunker:
I agree completely, I cancelled my trip there. I'm looking now for somewhere else where theft isn't the status quo.
That rules out any major U.S. coastal city, Maui, Honolulu, parts of Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Belize City, San Juan. We were warned once on Bonaire by the car rental agency but were warned three times by locals on Maui not to leave anything in the car, even at public beach divesites where there are hundreds of people. Although I've been there diving four times anyway. Also probably rules out Curacao, a DM on Bonaire who's a Curacao native told me the reason he left there was because of all the crime.

per capita the theft on Bonaire is probably low, it's just reported more. And although I don't condone it, there are worse things than a little petty theft by bored local kids. I felt much safer there walking around at night than I do downtown where I live. I think it's exaggerated in forums like this and on bonairetalk, but I encourage you to go somewhere else, it means less crowded diving for me there, I'm going back soon.

Maybe Roatan? Or I'm leaning towards Turks/Caicos for next year. I'm also reading that the new diving hotspot is Montserrat. I'm not even sure where that is.

I AM NOT THERE !!!

I have been to Bonaire a couple of times now and like everyone else find the diving spectacular. I suppose we have been fortunate (knock on wood) that we haven't had any bad experiences, but we also left nothing of value to tempt people with.

I have also been on Maui a few times and know that they have problems as well. People at the dive shop recommended not to leave valuables in the car.

And, even here in LA I wouldn't think about leaving valuables in my car when I go to the beach. And I would think that would be true anywhere you go that you don't leave things in an unattended vehicle. Common sense.

A simple solution, if you don't want to go to Bonaire because of "so much crime", don't go. We will still go and enjoy non-crowded reefs.

sjspeck:
That rules out any major U.S. coastal city, Maui, Honolulu, parts of Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Belize City, San Juan
Thank god there are no places on your list with excellent diving, otherwise I would be bummed! (well Mexico has decent diving I guess). You guys are all up in arms as if we're saying that Bonaire is a war zone. I know the statistics, per capita, blah blah blah. Yes there is crime in my city too, but then again, I'm not on vacation here. It obviously seems like petty theft is the norm on Bonaire rather than the exception as it seems to be everywhere else. Your statistics might be all fine and dandy until its you who loses a $1000 camera out of your room, or the spare tire off of your truck in a car rental scam. As for me, I'd rather just dive in Southeast Asia where the prices are good and people are happy to have divers around to support the local economy. The GDP is probably just as low there but they have more respect for personal property and better diving. It would help the Bonaire situation if the cops weren't in on it.

I agree with Socal diver!
I would never leave valuables in a car anywhere-just asking for trouble!
Dee-I know you love Roatan(CCV) I have been there as well and had a good week-but basicly had no exposure to the island, or the locals...that bothered me,I felt very isolated and detached from the local flavor, and food of the island! Not to mention the guard dogs and armed security at ccv!Im sure there is almost no crime at CCV but what about the island..?Kind of scary when you see armed security at the local market..?

I was in Bonaire in July, and had one of the best times! Incredible diving( much more life than Roatan)and had no problems whatsoever! I felt very safe, as did everyone I met and talked to! I enjoyed having a car(truck)and getting out and about and mingleing with the locals and seeing this great island,not to mention all the great dive sites and outstanding restaurants! The Bonarian people are wonderful, and it bothers me that they have gotten such a bad rap! I found them to be very warm and welcomeing,hell,I even had a young kid-total stranger, buy me a beer for no apparent reason!
IMHO-I want more than just good diveing-I want an experience!

I will be returning to Bonaire many times in the future! :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom