Crime in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest you leave Grandma and the child back at the resort. Most of the dive spots with the exception of Windsock have very little to no shade so you would leave them baking in the sun for a couple of hours. We don't bother with any boat dives. While every one has an opinion, I don't find the "crime" on Bonaire to be a big deal. Some would have you believe that every single car unattended for 2 minutes is trashed, this is simply not the case. In 4 trips, we have had no problems at all.

If you are like most of us, you have a pair or 2 of "last years" glasses, not quite up to par but will work in needs be, take them to the site. We leave the windows down and nothing but towels, hats, shoes and maybe some water, so far nothing has been taken. My perscription sun glasses are usually under the seat and so far we have had no problems.

We've been to Bonaire about 6 times. We basically leave the windows of the truck open, nothing of any value, and dive. Of course we come up for a surface interval, have some water and/or a snack, then go dive some more. Come back, ungear, get in the truck & drive back to the hotel to clean/rinse the gear & stow it there.

Frankly, I think this thing is being blown way out of proportion. You wouldn't leave your valuables in the car in your own city, why do it on vacaton?

jammy once bubbled...
Are boat dives worth it to avoid the crime?

I tend to do mostly boat diving. Aside from this other thing, I just find it more convienient and relaxing to hop onto the boat. It is more expensive than shore diving, but even the boat diving in Bonaire is much cheaper than many places. I do a little shore diving if I want to get to a further away site that the place I'm staying doesn't go to. Most places tend to dive the same areas and not go real far - like if you stay someplace towards the west, they tend not to go far to the east much.

NightRaven77 once bubbled...
I am just now very aprehensive about going down...
See, this is what makes this so sad... and makes the internet a dangerous medium. From threads like these, you get the impression that unless you lock everything to your body with a steel chain, it'll get knicked from right under you. That's just bull****.
If you use common sense and precautions, you'll be fine. I've never felt more safe anywhere than I do here. There have been 2 or 3 incidents in the week leading up to the Regatta, but none since (at least that I'm aware off); and the island is packed at the moment. And, again, let me point out that there is NO violence here.
You read about these stories and you think there's no escaping it; what you DON'T read are the thousands of times it *doesn't* happen. It's easy to fill a thread like this if you look for the stories; even, I'm sure, on the Bahamas or Cayman.

Crime in Bonaire is pratically nonexistant. All anyone has to do is to take common sense precautions. Who would go shore diving anywhere in the States and leave expense equiptment or gear in a vehicle? That would be like saying, "Please rob me" Bonaire is a very safe place to go for a diving vacation. Go on down and have a great time :tree: Bob

I beg to differ with crime in Bonaire "practically non-existent". November of 2002 our truck was rifled twice in one week of shore diving. First time camera gone, second time nothing as we learned our lesson after the first. Two trips to the police station with no result except to give reasons police report form was unavailable today.

Still, we're going back as soon as we can afford to. Great diving. Nice people.

Why would you go shore divng and leave a camera in your truck?:confused: :tree: Bob

I shore dive all the time in the US and leave stuff in my locked car (cell phone, sunglasses, etc) that I fully expect to be there when I return. I haven't been disappointed yet. From all these posts, the rule in Bonaire seems to be "leave your car unlocked, or someone will break into it". I simply won't dive at a spot where that's the rule.

JERRRRRRRRRRRY!
JERRRRRRRRRRY!!!

JERRRRRRRRYY!!!!

:wacko:

No matter which way you look at it.......the post still gets you thinking about other destinations as well..........I didnt in no un-fore-seen way want to bash Bonaire in anyway........I just was intrested in what the public had to offer as to information about the place..................

I feel bad that Bonaire has this bad rep..........

:(

Back
Top Bottom