Crotch Strap

What's your crotch strap setup?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon w/ soft webbing...came that way

PerroneFord:
My crotch strap is soft webbing, but came with my unit. That option is not reflected in your poll.

Second that - (my) Halcyon Harness came with a 2" Crotch Strap, but it's softer material than the harness webbing

tau:
I can't figure out how to correct the spelling on the poll though.

I changed it for you! eyebrow

I'm using 2" soft webbing that came with my harness and plate. Oddly enough, the slot cut into the plate is smaller than 2" so the webbing bunches up a little bit.

My first rig was a Diverite, and it was stiff webbing, like the harness - my current one is from Halcyon, very soft webbing. I couldn't tell a big difference while wearing, but my buddies can and DON'T like the stiff webbing.

You can order really soft webbing from http://www.strapworks.com/polyprowebbing.html they have heavy weight and lightweight, but both are very soft and thin in my opinion. Also you don't have to sew a loop on the end, you can also use a triglide on both ends, saving the need to sew a loop in. Plus you can then make the loop as large as you wish.

Aloha, Tim

I originally used the material that came with my FredT harness; however the material was far -far- to stiff, it actually took quite a bit of sweat to even get it doubled through the keepers.

I switched to a much lighter webbing, almost seat belt material, but it was a tad too slick and it didn't stay in the keepers well.

I finally found some good webbing, soft enough, but not so soft to slip in the keeper.

Until I got my scooter.... and any extra give in the crotch strap would relate to the d-ring pulled away from the keeper, up to the point where I had it bolted together.

So then I replaced it with an actual non-makeshift crotch strap, where the d-ring is sewed into the front of the webbing.

So basically.... use what works, until it doesn't work, then move on :wink:

I made my own using 2" tubular webbing which is very soft and twice the strength of regular 2 inch stiff webbing. I used webbing slides to form loops and attach to backplate, no sewing required...and if I decide to go base jumping in my backplate, I'm safe. These guys are great and they sell only true nylon which is what you need:
http://store.karstsports.com/2tubweb.html

Thanks everyone for posting your crotch strap setup. I went ahead and purchased a Dive Rite Soft webbing Crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom