Cuba Diving US citizen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seriously though I agree with Mike, if jz and bouncy can go, why can't you......

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 06:15 PM ----------

i'll be waiting for the embargo to end before I go.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 06:15 PM ----------

but, i'm looking forward to it

Carlitos you never answered my question: what state are you in?

Part of the trade embargo is Cuba does not recognize certain US companies and organizations like PADI. It's my understanding I have to be certified down there by one of the accepted organizations.

You have that backwards. It is not Cuba that refuses to recognize or do business, it is the US. The embargo is directed at Cuba by the US, not the other way around.

Just because PADI is not allowed by the US government to do business in Cuba does not mean that Cuba does not recognize the certification. My certs are all PADI and I dove there no problem. You will not be able to GET a PADI cert there, but that is a different thing.

I have heard--though of course I have no firsthand experience because as an American citizen it would be in contravention of the embargo--that it is not all that difficult to travel via a third country and enjoy diving in Cuba without the requisite "license" (authorization that the Treasury Dept. grants), and the chances of being apprehended and fined by the US authorities are low, so long as you don't do anything stupid to bring attention to yourself like posting on SB about your trip. The caveats that others have mentioned--no US insurance coverage, etc.--indeed apply.

Yeah just ask Hugo Chavez

LOL, that's funny.
Wrong Dictator man. Or wrong country.

Anyone knows what has to happen to do a Cuban dive week as a US citizen? Has anyone done it? There is a trade embargo still in place so I know that prevents me from flying directly there or using my PADI certification. What has to be done?

We've been diving in Cuba for twenty years - legally since we're Canucks. Wife and I have met and hung out with numerous Americans there as lots of Americans go to Cuba illegally flying out of either Canada or Mexico. Ask the Cuban custom people not to stamp your American passport and they won't. All American certs are recognized in Cuba. We're PADI DM's and have never had an issue. Where you might run into a problem is with DAN coverage. They'll cover us as Canadians but not sure what American status is. Cuban healthcare is very good and there are decompression chambers near all the major dive areas. If you have to pay out of pocket it won't be expensive, not anything anywhere near the costs in the USA.

Certified in 1976:

Quick aside; what's kept drawing you back to Cuba for the past 20 years? Since the diving there seems to be slowly opening up to U.S. citizens, it's going to be compared to other Caribbean destinations, and most of us can't do them all. What you find extra special about Cuba might be helpful to some.

Richard.

DAN coverage. They'll cover us as Canadians
Are you sure about that? Confirmed it with DAN yourself...??

DAN Covers Americans in Cuba, with Cuban Doctors and facilities, now.

Back
Top Bottom