Cuba / Holguin / Playa Esmerelda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Mathieson

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone been there? Wondering how the diving is out of Paradisus Rio de Oro resort on Playa Esmerelda. Have heard it has very good snorkelling, but hard to find info on diving there. Going at Xmas for 2 weeks.
Cheers

Anyone been there? Wondering how the diving is out of Paradisus Rio de Oro resort on Playa Esmerelda. Have heard it has very good snorkelling, but hard to find info on diving there. Going at Xmas for 2 weeks.
Cheers

Wow, JM, the responses are amazing! :D

LOL- just got from there. Yes the snorkeling is really good. Dives are included as part of the All-inclusive package. Shuttle bus leaves for Pesquero beach twice each morning for dives- deep then shallow.

..just noticed the date on your post! I guess this is just a tad too late :)

LOL- just got from there. Yes the snorkeling is really good. Dives are included as part of the All-inclusive package. Shuttle bus leaves for Pesquero beach twice each morning for dives- deep then shallow.

..just noticed the date on your post! I guess this is just a tad too late :)

Can you tell us what the hotel name was? What the rates were, how the food. lodging and service was? Etc.. Sorry to ask you all these questions! :)

Two resorts, same ownership, share Esmeralda Beach. We ourselves stayed at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, which is a four star. The price for a week was just over $1000(CDN) for us. Food was quite good for Cuban and the staff are very friendly. Note, the rooms are more three star but very clean. We've been there twice now and will likely go back again at some point.

The other hotel is called Paradisus Rio de Oro, a five star, which usually goes for around $1500+ for seven days. I talked to a few people that have stayed there and they say it is exceptional for Cuba- nice rooms, good food, attractive grounds and excellent service. As mentioned, they share the same beach, although I think Sol Rio de Luna y Mares actually gets the bigger and nicer end. If you can get a good deal at Parradisus- go for it, otherwise Sol Rio Luna/Mares is very good value in that price range.

There used to be dive shop on Esmeralda beach, but last Fall (2010) they moved the shop to Pesquero beach which is a 10-15 mins bus ride. The shop has its own van and makes pick-ups twice every morning except sunday. There is also another dive shop at Guardalvaca beach, but 'I think' you would have to find your own way there- $5CUC's each way.

Note: diving is not included as part of the Sol Rio package, just the Paradissus. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom