CUBA - Varadero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another poster made a great point - a euro or two tip means little to you, but everything to the average Cuban - you Brit's can be a little tight in the propina department (don't take this as a flame; but there are liveaboards that make European customers pay the tip in advance - I love the UK but tipping is more a way of life here in America, rightly or wrong); so err on the liberal side for those that provide you service.
Thanks for the advice. It is a cultural thing over here. We go into a restaurant, see the price and expect to pay that price. We don't expect to pay more.

Fortunately some of us have travelled around a bit.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

No politics here please.

If you really, really feel you must discuss that, start a thread here. You will need to opt-in first.

just back from varadero i was there in november . barrcuda dive center was fantastic George and carlos wher our fantastic dive guides . they looked after us very well .

divin is mostly wrecks . take a trip with them to bay of pigs . lovly reef diving .

I wouldnt dive with any other operation there as they looked ropey .

Barracuda hav nitrox and their own dive chamber . loved every minute of it

just back from varadero i was there in november . barrcuda dive center was fantastic George and carlos wher our fantastic dive guides . they looked after us very well .

divin is mostly wrecks . take a trip with them to bay of pigs . lovly reef diving .

I wouldnt dive with any other operation there as they looked ropey .

Barracuda hav nitrox and their own dive chamber . loved every minute of it
Great I will take a nitrox card. I luuuurve wrecks.
I will try to avoid the chamber

there is a great russian destroyer sunk as an artifical reef . beautiful .

and a large tug with tanks and trucks doted around .

if you wnt info ill keep an eye on this page

Do you know if they do any shark dives...not necessarily shark feeding or anything, just locations with a good chance of seeing some reef sharks? I'm fine with wreck diving, and enjoy it, but honestly am more interested in marine life. I'm taking my video camera and Ikelite housing, and I'd love to get some video of some sharks. I was able to do a dive about three years ago on the south side of Cuba, and encountered bull sharks, but that was before I got the video camera. Sharks or not, are there specific sites you'd recommend for marine life videoing?

Also, I'll agree with what others have said about tips and gifts...they seem to be greatly appreciated. We plan to take things with us for staff at hotels and restaurants, and for individuals we happen to meet. In the past, if we are returning to a location where we've made friends, we've contacted them and taken specific items they need, particularly for their children. Contrary to what has been suggested, not all travellers spend their entire time on a resort or doing the group tours; I have taken the time and effort to see what "real" Cubans face day to day, and I do recognize the poverty that exists. It doesn't make me not want to go there, but it does make me recognize the importance of generosity; I feel that if I can afford to travel, I can afford tips and gifts of items that the Cubans find hard to come by. I don't do this just because some good tipping results in extra special service (although that may be the case, my own experience has been that the service is good whether you tip generously or not) but because I appreciate the efforts of people who are working hard to make a living. This year, being my first time in Varadero, I'll have to be fairly generic, but I do know it is definitely appreciated.

there are many type of shark around cuba . when i was there we bumped into reef sharks and blacktips . nice but nuthing to big . got photos

we brought some gifts for the local school .

the real cuba is a far cry from the resorts . very poor .

a large tug with tanks and trucks doted around .

I dove that one while there. That was a fun dive, the tanks and trucks were pretty cool, and you can do a swim through the bridge as well. As for sharks, I'm told there are some, but not nearly as many as other carribean islands.

the swim through was ok . the dive was fantastic . loved all the wrecks .

i love wrecks and love them even more when i don t have to get loaded with gear . and the vis is fan bloody tastic .

Back
Top Bottom