CUBA - Varadero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Cuba in February 2005 and stayed in Varadero. I dove with Baracuda and has already been mentioned - great outfit and I'm pretty sure it has a monopoly on the local diving in Varadero. My thoughts on the diving - vis was ok for a Carribean Island but not as good as some of the others. This is likely because Vararedro is on the Atlantic side of the island and isn't quite as protected from the ocean currents. When I talk of vis - 50-70 feet (17-25 m) was standard for the time of year that I was there. I got to go to the Bay of Pigs and the trip that goes there is usually organized when the wind and sea conditions pick up so that diving in Varadero is no go. The diving in the Bay of Pigs was amazing - great walls, awesome sea life, and exceptional vis - 150 feet at times (50 m). It is a bit of drive (1-2 hours if memory serves me) but definitely worth it. Other good dives - the Russian Destroyer was interesting, and some of the other wrecks as well. Not sure if they are still doing it but at one of the wrecks they had "trained" a green moray eel to be fed by the DM's and you could pose with it while another DM took your picture (of course they would sell you the picture afterward - who says those communists aren't entrepenurial). The service was without complaints - when you signed up with Barracuda you let them know which days you wanted to dive and they picked you up in front of your hotel. The other neat thing that you could do on the dive boat was on the way out they would stop at a fishing boat and get fresh lobster. Then on your second dive they would cook a lobster for you (once again - added fee) and on the way back to the shore you got a lobster meal. To summarize - diving in Cuba (Varadero) isn't the best Carribean diving but it has the great lakes in Canada beaten by a long shot. And with non-divers in the group, probably a decent compromise if you do your research ahead of time.

the prices in respect to what we pay at home is marginal but a nice way to finish a days diving . its these small differences that ad to a holiday . when on hols I tend to think less about what Im spending than what im getting for my money . on hols i dont watch the pennys ,

and its not expensive at all in cuba

I am soooo jealous of the ease with which you get to go to Cuba. The stupidity of the US government makes it so much more difficult! I have two passports so when we go I won't travel on my US one, however my wife and kids are only US citizens and have to be careful. Either way we can't get a direct flight and have to go through Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, DR etc. What a pain.

its a great trip my friend for all the trouble its worth taking a long trip there

The service was without complaints - when you signed up with Barracuda you let them know which days you wanted to dive and they picked you up in front of your hotel.

Where did you sign up for the diving? What it in Varadero? Did you arrange a head of your trip or when you got there? Can you get better deals by reserving ahead of time?

I'm off there in about a month and want to do 6-7 dives while I'm there.

TIA :beer:

Greg,

I tried to sign up before (same idea as you - hoping for better deals), but was unable to do so. Not sure if that has changed but at that time it was a no. I stayed at a resort just on the outskirts of the town so I got directions from the front desk and walked down to the shop (about 5-10 min walk). If memory serves me - as you are walking into town it is on your right hand side (North side - also the beach side). When you sign up - that is when you pick which days you want to dive (they have some deals if you do a larger number of dives) - but you can always change your schedule as the week progresses, just let the Dive Master who picks you up in the morning if you want to change. If your resort is further from town you could probably sign up via your resort but not sure if they will take a cut as well, which might make things more expensive. The shop name at the time was Barracuda and the service was pretty good. My rec's - don't miss diving the Bay of Pigs (when the wind is too high) and also dive the Russian Destroyer.

Cheers,
Aaron

Thanks for the update. I will go for a wander when we finally arrive over there.
I usually do about six dives on a holiday like this. It depends on what sort of mood my better half and daughter are in.

FWIW
I was invited on a trimix weekend in August bank holiday, (well it would have been rude to say no:)) and SWMBO and daughter have booked two days in London staying a friends hotel, three shows, and some shopping. I reckon that is going to cost about £1,000 all in or US$2,000.

Greg,

I tried to sign up before (same idea as you - hoping for better deals), but was unable to do so. Not sure if that has changed but at that time it was a no. I stayed at a resort just on the outskirts of the town so I got directions from the front desk and walked down to the shop (about 5-10 min walk). If memory serves me - as you are walking into town it is on your right hand side (North side - also the beach side). When you sign up - that is when you pick which days you want to dive (they have some deals if you do a larger number of dives) - but you can always change your schedule as the week progresses, just let the Dive Master who picks you up in the morning if you want to change. If your resort is further from town you could probably sign up via your resort but not sure if they will take a cut as well, which might make things more expensive. The shop name at the time was Barracuda and the service was pretty good. My rec's - don't miss diving the Bay of Pigs (when the wind is too high) and also dive the Russian Destroyer.

Cheers,
Aaron

Hi Aaron, How much did you pay when got there per dive? I see them advertising the SCUBA Cuba pass for 25 Euros a dive (~$38) that you can buy ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom