Curacao next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, we will be diving Curacao next week, probably Thursday through Sunday

We would like recommentations on the "must see" spectacular dive sites, whether by beach or by boat. Any recommendations on dive ops are appreciated as well but the site information is paramount. Looking for greatest reefs, walls, large animals or similar.

We are nirox advanced divers but no tech/deco dives. No problems with current dives, drift dives, etc. We are not hung up on deep dives. If the best reefs are in 30' we are happy to spend two hours enjoying the scenery. We would love to beach dive and also would want suggestions as to night dives.

Also, as we love small odd critters, any recommendations on macro dives would be appreciated as well.

Our hotel is already booked but restaurant recommendations are appreciated. We will have a rental SUV to get around the island for beach diving.

Thanks very much!

Guy

Director's Cove,Mushroom Forest ,Watumula , Alice in Wonderland are all nice dives.

Tug Boat, Directors Bay (giant wall, superb), superior producer (wreck), Cas Aboa, Porto Marie,... And many more :)

All are shore dives. I would suggest you to rent a car and buy the Drive and Dive map. Nearly all dives on that map are shore dives.

Watamula - is supposed to be the best boat dive. Go West Diving in Westpunt does it both AM/PM on Thursday.
Alice in Wonderland/Playa Kalki is also there - IMO the best shore dive on the island. Westpunt is a 45min. drive from town.
Snake Bay - recommended by my friend's wife, a former Curacao instructor.
the wall south around the point from the Tugboat. Also under the pier if there's no ship(s) moored.
Porto Mari on Thursday or Friday (locals beach so crowded on the weekend) - nice double reef.
Playa Lagun - usually turtles there.
Varsenbaai - dive south to the pontoon boat wreck used to bring in the cars for Car Pile (80'), may find seahorses near the marker ball and turtles in the shallows - like 6' just south of the dive dock. The on-site operator said they're always there.

Nicer beaches are at Porto Mari, Lagun, the "Gnip" sites. Farther west you'll likely be diving off ironshore. Many sites have a dive dock.

where are you staying?

We are at the Kura Hulanda but will have a car to access the entire Island.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, keep the suggestions coming for both the sites and the dive ops!

Guy

Guy,

Opinions are like big toes...so here's my big toe:

Best boat dives in order:
Watamula with Go West (Bryan). amazing corals, I mean truly spectacular. Great sea life, and a great operation.
Anywhere East with Ocean Encounters. Especially black rock. More sea fans and healthier corals than most beach sites. Also their Dolphin Encounter dive is out of this world (expensive, but hey getting nuzzled by a dolphin in open water is really something)
Mushroom Forrest with Juni/Captain "goodlife" from Santa Cruz. Great shallow drift dive, HUGE mushroom corals. Finish at the grotto "Blue room."

Beach Dives:
Porto Marie -- Great dive to the west, good dive to the east. Amazing dive if there is no current or a small one in the right direction you can go from Daaibooi next door to Porto Marie, really beautiful. Great operation run by Wauter and Luis at Porto Marie watersports, also probably our most beautiful beach.
Kalki (Alice In Wonderland) -- Not far from Watamula, so great dense coral structures. Like Porto Marie some good critters and some good corals, can be a little bit deeper but only if you want.
Superior Producer -- Wreck dive, best at night with a great light. You may want a hookup on this one as it isn't to easy to find at night if you haven't been there during the day.
Lagun -- Almost a guarantee to see turtles.

I tend to disagree with most about Tug Boat / Caracasbaai the only redeeming feature for me is the wall and the chance to see frog fish and sea horses, other than that there are better dives in my opinion. Also I feel the same about Snake Bay. A great dive, but there are better to be had if your schedule is limited (the corals are not to compact).

That's my .02psi, have a great time while you are here.

Jeff

We are at the Kura Hulanda but will have a car to access the entire Island.
Kura Hulanda Lodge at the far western end of the island, or Kura Hulanda Hotel downtown? Reason I ask is, it's a fairly large island, and practically speaking you won't get to the entire island unless you spend all your time driving instead of diving.

If you are staying at the lodge, Go West diving right there is the only op that makes sense, outside of renting tanks at some of the dive sites that have facilities on site. I think in just a few days of diving you likely won't bother trying to do eastern sites (especially as IMO the western ones are overall better.) Staying on the west end also means a whole different (and smaller) set of restaurant recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom