Curacao - so tell me how it works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I wonder why the 'dive resort' model hasn't been working out well on Curacao? On Bonaire it appears to dominate, with quite a number of them. Perhaps on Curacao, where tourism isn't nearly so scuba-dominated if I understand correctly, the hotel+dive shop model is 'better' somehow?

Richard.

As my wife likes to point out:

"Bonaire is where divers go to vacation. Curacao is where vacationers go to dive."

"Bonaire is where divers go to vacation. Curacao is where vacationers go to dive."

Haha! Very true. At the risk of incurring the wrath of Bonaire fans, throwing yourself in the water is a much better alternative than being topside.

Reactions: RJP
If your in the east of Curacao, try the Dive Bus for local shore diving.
Very good folks!

If you get tired of paying Hilton prices for breakfast, there's a Denny's about 1/2 mile away. https://www.facebook.com/dennyscuracao

I marked it with what sort of looks like a red "D" on the map. Also Otrabunda just to the right is one half of downtown so there's other restaurants there. The MegaPier is there and RIF fort has shops/restaurants also. One good thing about the Hilton is location - close to everything yet quieter at night. See Pirate Bay just north of the Hilton? They'll have music some nights and it's a real beach bar on the sand. Pirate Bay Curacao | Beach Club Curacao | Hooks Hut Curacao (former)

There's also several McDonalds, both a Pizza Hut and KFC in Otrabunda and we passed at least one Subway. The Salinja area seemed popular for restaurants also - sort of east Willemstad. Other Curacao info here: Curacao Travel- Caribbean, Curacao, Dutch Caribbean

Capture.jpg

view image then zoom to actually be able to read this^

Last edited:
Try "Pisca Bay Hut" next to piratesbay for cheaper beer and simple (but good) food. 5 min walk from the Hilton.

This thread has been bearing GREAT FRUIT, thanks everyone. I do have a question...I see a lot about east/west references in threads...and given the context, I'm wondering if the north part of the island that leans west is referred to as west, vs. the south part of the island that leans east...or truly, is east/west referring west coast (leeward) east coast (windward/rough side). It could be that I misunderstood some things I was reading, but I read it in enough different places that I started to think (they mean south/north, not east/west).

thanks, Ray

No your assumption is correct, the upper part is West, the lower part is East. The rough side is the North coast, where diving is best btw as is on the "Oostpunt" (Eastpoint). Both only possible as boat dives as Oostpoint is private property and the North Coast (like at Playa Canoa has a rough surf)

All the dive sites we're discussing except for the post above this one are on the south shore of the island on either the west or east side. I may sometimes use north(west) south(east) interchangeably because standing on the shore at some sites it seems like it. This shows it better although there's several dozen sites not shown:

NR-Curacao-Dive-Map.jpg

Indeed. What I've wondered is why it isn't both.

I joined ScubaBoard Dec. '06. Been on a lot since then. Seems like back then, Curacao was mentioned uncommonly, like some undiscovered gem. Over time, it seemed there were more posts about it. A few people even preferred it to Bonaire. With talk about a larger island, sandy beaches, more 'non-dive' things to do, and cheaper flight options compared to Bonaire (such that many people flying to Bonaire have a connecting flight in Curacao), it seemed peculiar that is got so little 'scuba press.'

Then I see a post that the 2 dive resorts in Curacao have closed. 2? Whereas in Bonaire, off the top my head, I think of Caribbean Club, Beach Comber Villas, Hamlet Oasis, Captain Don's Habitat, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar (choice of Dive Friends or BDA), Eden Beach Resort, Windsock Resort, Belmar, Den Lamen...and there are more. I guess you could argue some (Eden Beach and Sand Dollar) are sort of like a hotel with a dive op. on-site, but these seems heavily oriented to dive tourism (although Eden Beach's web site less so under the new ownership I believe came into play some years back).

I'd consider Curacao myself, but I'm not adventurous enough to go alone, and I'm afraid a my wife or buddy might try to take the opportunity to divert part of the trip to something besides diving.

Richard.

The reason is that Bonaire was "created" as a dive island. Largely because there was/is nothing else to do there. There's no industry, no beaches, no nothing.

Back
Top Bottom