Curacao - so tell me how it works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Curacao never been to Bonaire so I might like Bonaire also if I went. I'm wondering what is wrong with renting tanks from a onsite operator versus carrying tanks around all day?
Porto Marie has an on site dive shop to rent tanks from as do a lot of the other sites which I personally prefer.

I like Curacao never been to Bonaire so I might like Bonaire also if I went. I'm wondering what is wrong with renting tanks from a onsite operator versus carrying tanks around all day?
Porto Marie has an on site dive shop to rent tanks from as do a lot of the other sites which I personally prefer.

I'm going to Curacao in a couple weeks and have gotten a price of about $18 a day (10 day rental) for 'unlimited' air (3 tanks/diver at a time).

If you're a cheap bastard (like me) that is a hard deal to pass up (I pay $5/tank with a fill card to get my tanks filled locally)

I'm wondering what is wrong with renting tanks from a onsite operator versus carrying tanks around all day?

I suspect part of the issue is looking at Curacao diving from a Bonaire mindset.

In Bonaire, the stereotypical 'package deal' is resort & rental truck + unlimited rental tanks, often with 'free upgrade' to nitrox EAN 32. So you load 2 tanks apiece with your gear & head out driving around deciding where to dive.

From that mindset, which I'm accustomed to, I'd look at Curacao and ask:

1.) Do I need to 'plan' where I'm going to dive in advance? Since some sites will have rental tanks & some won't? If I dive mostly sites with them, is there extra hassle to 'make arrangements' for rental tanks I can take off-site for the few dives I want to do elsewhere?

2.) If I bring rental tanks from elsewhere, is there a usage fee to dive at the site? How much? What if I don't use their rinse tank, chairs, umbrella, etc...?

3.) If you rent tanks from some place to dive their site, do you have to show a C card & fill out liability waivers there?

4.) All this sounds like it involves more human interaction. Not everybody is a 'people person.' A hermit could dive Bonaire and be happy.

For people accustomed to Curacao, the answers to these questions are likely obvious and largely not troublesome.

For me, as a 'Bonaire bigot,' my natural reaction is 'What is this crap? I never had to worry about that mess on Bonaire!'

Reminds me of people used to boat diving griping about hauling gear over iron shore, entries & exits shore diving, and the need to leave nothing to steal in your rental truck on Bonaire.

Bonaire is not Cozumel. And Curacao is evidently not Bonaire.

Richard.

We'll be in Curacao in a few weeks for 2 weeks of diving. We're staying at Atlantis Apartments & Dive - unlimited tank & weight rentals, rinse tanks & lockers coupled with 8 apartments & car/truck rental. They offer guided dives as well. I'll write about our experience when we get back.

We're in our 50s, slowing down a smidge with arthritis. Easy shore entries compared to Bonaire's is attractive. It looks like there is plenty of touristy things to do on our last day of non-diving - a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the price difference is negligible (particularly when you deduct usage fees I'm people person enough to show up shop to shop renting tanks. I do find the repeated waiver Unnecessary.

LindaSSF, i just got back from Atlantis Apartments, you'll love it. I didnt dive with them, but it looked like they were pretty organized. I dove with Bas Harts. If anyone wants/needs a dive guide, he is the best. With Bas we were almost always the only people on the site.

Then I see a post that the 2 dive resorts in Curacao have closed. 2?
I may have posted 2 but I meant 2 of XX since there's many more if you expand the category to include all the ones you listed also:
Caribbean Club, Beach Comber Villas, Hamlet Oasis, Captain Don's Habitat, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar (choice of Dive Friends or BDA), Eden Beach Resort, Windsock Resort, Belmar, Den Lamen...Eden Beach and Sand Dollar

My take on it is that the only two "Dive Resorts - i.e. that market themselves primarily as that are Buddy Dive and Capt's Don's Habitat. From my perspective all the rest are condos with a focus on diving. In that list, I'd also include Port Bonaire since there's a Dive Friends shop there. Interesting that you didn't list the only full AI "Dive Resort" on Bonaire - the Plaza. Since they have a full AI dive package since last year. But I don't think of the Plaza as a dive resort either - it's too sprawling and non-conducive to easy diving with the shop at one end and their house dive the other.

So let's compare to Curacao:

The two real "Dive" Resorts are Lion's Dive Resort and Scuba Lodge - although SL doesn't have their own boat afaik. Sunscape is also since you can bundle diving in an AI package with Ocean Encounters on-site. Curacao is slightly different than Bonaire in that they also have hotels with on-site dive operators so including those, here's that list: Santa Barbara Resort, Holiday Beach Resort, Blue Bay Resort, the Hilton, the Marriott Piscadera Bay, Atlantis Apt/Diving, Trupial Inn, Bahia Resort/Diving, Lagoon Ocean Resort, Lagun Blou Resort, All West Apts and Lodge Kura Hulanda (last two share Go West Diving). I left off places that have packages with someone but no onsite operator - like Marazul condos. Similar to Lagoen Hills on Bonaire - technically the 4th "Buddy Dive location".

Curacao also has a bar with it's own dive shop - Pirate Bay. And a housing complex with it's own - Coral Estates - both are Diveversity locations. And Curacao has the Dive Bus - nothing like that on Bonaire. Ever dove with a shop that includes a beer in the price? Plus I can name at least 5 shore dive sites with their own dedicated operator, Playa Lagun, Varsenbaai, Porto Mari, Jan Thiel, Pierbaai (the Dive Bus calls it their "house reef") and the Tugboat. There's also dozen or more non-affiliated operations on Curacao like Bas Harts, Twin Divers, Wedefort, Goby, Curious 2 Dive, Relaxed Guided Dives, Van de Van, Want to Dive etc.

So I kind of think it is both. I know people that have been to Grand Cayman - usually via cruise ship. Yet virtually none of them know it's also one of the Dive mecca's in the Caribbean also. I think Curacao itself under-represents itself as a diving destination. When I mention it to non-dive friends they almost all ask if that's the place with the colorful shops downtown.
I suspect part of the issue is looking at Curacao diving from a Bonaire mindset.

1.) Do I need to 'plan' where I'm going to dive in advance? Since some sites will have rental tanks & some won't? If I dive mostly sites with them, is there extra hassle to 'make arrangements' for rental tanks I can take off-site for the few dives I want to do elsewhere?
More so than on Bonaire since the sites are farther apart. Most of the popular dive sites have rental tanks available. I don't understand the 3rd question. Is it a hassle to carry tanks from most of the dive resorts on Bonaire to your car - except for Buddy's. And actually Relaxed Guided Dives on Curacao is similar - tank fill station mid-island. Discover Diving has a truck height tank loading dock in Lagun also.

2.) If I bring rental tanks from elsewhere, is there a usage fee to dive at the site? How much? What if I don't use their rinse tank, chairs, umbrella, etc...?
Often but you're confusing the dive operations with the beach toy operators. They're often different. The fee is in guilders - I think it was about $4. I pretty much held out my Curacao coins and let them take what they wanted. My friend the accountant didn't seem shocked by this so I probably did alright.

If you go to a dive site where the operator has a facility, rents gear, rents tanks, has showers, lockers (some) rinse tanks and a dive dock would you pay something for that on Bonaire? You would on Grand Cayman. Or at Habitat on Bonaire. Often the beach operator has plastic chairs, umbrellas etc. and there's a separate fee for those. But many of the beach sites also have public picnic benches, many also with permanent shade. Those are all free to use. You only pay a fee if you use someone's private facilities/equipment.
3.) If you rent tanks from some place to dive their site, do you have to show a C card & fill out liability waivers there?
Yes, just like you do at every shop everywhere except Bonaire since you have the BMP tag on your person. Every other dive location I've been to in the Caribbean has required that.
4.) All this sounds like it involves more human interaction. Not everybody is a 'people person.' A hermit could dive Bonaire and be happy.
A hermit could also die while diving on Bonaire and it could be a while before anyone noticed. At least on Curacao, an operator might notice your truck had been there all day and contact someone about it. Or wonder where your one-day rental tanks were. BTW at 2 of the dive sites, the operator volunteered to watch our vehicles. I guess that could on Bonaire - if ANY site had an on-site operator outside of town.
And Curacao is evidently not Bonaire.
No it's better in most respects, easier entries - ever read anyone talking about a difficult entry on Curacao? - there actually is one. Tanks available where you need them. One other thing I'd mention is one morning we pulled into Discover Diving bright and early and took 18 tanks with us - rented a truck just for tanks. (5 of us) I don't think you can do that on Bonaire.

One day we drove about 30mins west - did two morning shore dives (our tanks), moved to a new site (their tanks), did both a boat dive about 20mins. away and a shore dive later that afternoon - ate dinner on-site and night dove the last site again - their tank again that they left out for us. Gone all day but that would two trips on Bonaire, once for a 2nd set of tanks and then back again for dinner/night dive right?

Which is?
Pestbaai :wink:

d002434.jpg

DiverSteve:

Thanks for the clarifications. Glad to hear there are still quite a number of options for divers to stay & dive at. A few clarifications/follow ups of my own:

Interesting that you didn't list the only full AI "Dive Resort" on Bonaire - the Plaza.

I heard about it, but I've never stayed there and don't know much about it. On Bonaire, I've stayed at Eden Beach Resort (old management), Buddy Dive and Dive Hut. I'm used to AI not being an option at most Bonaire spots, but a number of them have on-site restaurants so a person could 'eat in' if so inclined.

I know alcohol is important to some people, and could affect a destination choice. I don't drink, so as long as I don't encounter drunks I'm usually oblivious to it, but I know many on the forum are not.

The under representation thing is odd to me; not just Curacao itself, but it's operators and U.S. group trip organizers. Airfare to Curacao tends to be cheaper, from what I understand. As thin as the profit margins are on things in the competitive dive industry today, it seems to me I ought to see more dive shops hawking Curacao trips. Instead I see mainly Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan and Key Largo (I'm in southwestern KY, which plays a role, but should've put Curacao at a disadvantage).

Curacao seems to be gaining mindshare on the forum, in my subjective judgment, so maybe in a decade or so we'll see a lot more Curacao trip offerings?

I don't understand the 3rd question. Is it a hassle to carry tanks from most of the dive resorts on Bonaire to your car - except for Buddy's.

I didn't articulate well. The basic idea was that many people on dive trips either pay for tanks for a given trip (e.g.: 2 tank boat dive) or 'buffet style' (e.g.: unlimited tanks on Bonaire). Someone who paid for unlimited rental tanks might be annoyed at needing to pay additional 'per tank' fees at a site. Individuals will vary. My thinking was that if a lot of the shore diving was to be done at sites with 'rent tanks on site' setups, then someone wanting to also dive just a few other sites might not find '6 day unlimited packages' worthwhile, but would need to rent a few tanks ala carte. Probably no big deal.

If you go to a dive site where the operator has a facility, rents gear, rents tanks, has showers, lockers (some) rinse tanks and a dive dock would you pay something for that on Bonaire?

I've avoided them (e.g.: I dove Buddy's reef, and could reach Captain Don's from there, only when staying at Buddy Dive Resort) unless I knew there was no fee (e.g.: The Cliff). I have heard Captain Don's charges some sort of fee sometimes (maybe if you use their rinse tanks?), and Bonaire Dive & Adventure doesn't allow use of their pier to non-customers for free. But I've yet to shore dive anywhere on Bonaire where I needed to pay anybody any money.

If I used their facilities (e.g.: rinse tanks), that would be different. If I just walk past their shop, or across their grounds to get to the entry & exit, then I'm less inclined to pay.

A hermit could also die while diving on Bonaire and it could be a while before anyone noticed.

Indeed. The issue of diving in relative isolation at times on Bonaire has come up in other threads, and bothers some people (e.g.: what if I fall & break a leg) but doesn't seem to trouble most much. Something to think about.

And Curacao has the Dive Bus - nothing like that on Bonaire.

They do guided shore diving from what I understand. I think on Bonaire the way people accomplish something similar is by going with a group. My 1st 4 trips to Bonaire with all with a nearby group to Eden Beach Resort. This gave us a known, seasoned guide (our old instructor) to answer questions, decide on dive sites, give advice, etc...and we could head out on our own when we wished & felt ready. Not exactly the same thing, granted, but serves a similar function.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom