Curacao Trip Report - June 20th 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@melg
You welcome on the feedback. Wow, you're right, this turned out to be an interesting thread.

Guess I'll give my 2c worth on the island as well. My wife and I travel every six months, and love to meet new people and see interesting places. Our favorite place to date is Kauai. For it's cleanness and obviously it's terrein. It' simply beautiful.

We had done our research and knew Curacao was pretty much a desert. So we weren't surprised. And like most Caribbean islands, there are seemingly rough and run down areas. As there are in Kansas City where we live. Most of these places are a lot older historically than where we're from also. We felt the island was as advertised because we researched it quite a bit. With that said, we also like to stay in places that aren't the huge resorts, the kind where you can stay there and never get a real feel of the local culture. We enjoy getting out and meeting the people, we love that! We met great people on Curacao. Eiki and Sauce at Surf n Turf were great and especially Mark and Suzy at The Dive Bus. Where ever we go, we've learned people are people, and that's what makes traveling so much fun and unique no matter what the geography. We try our best not to set any expectations on where ever we go. We let it be what it's going to be.

Bad experiences only happen if we label them as such. In the words of Shakespeare, "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Every experience teaches us something about ourselves and others. After all, we're on vacation! But then really, everyday is a vacation! I don't know about you all, but I feel lucky to be able to travel and dive at all. I'm grateful when I have to deal with loud music at a resort, or a dive experience that wasn't quite what I expected (not so with The Dive Bus), I could have stayed home.

So the key for us is, reduce expectations and find gratitude in everything. As the saying goes, "today's expectations are tomorrow's resentments."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom