Curacao Trip Report - June 20th 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD, i am going to say this one time, and then it is up to you rather you take the time to go back and read it again or not. but if you go back to my post's, YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYWHERE THAT I SAID THAT I WAS A TOURIST! in fact, in my first post, when referring to divers who had dived with OE, i used the words, "dived with US". so to the contrary, i didn't post anything that wasn't true. i didn't even sway you towards that assumption, you made it on your own. i even stated being there for more than a month.
so while i can understand your assumptions, and don't blame you for them, if you reread my post's objectively, you will see that in no way did i try to MAKE you think i was just a tourist. everything i have written is truthful. so as i have stated, my credibility is intact. i merely wanted to state my opinion, which is the right of every member on this board. i hope this helps.

JD, i am going to say this one time, and then it is up to you rather you take the time to go back and read it again or not. but if you go back to my post's, YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYWHERE THAT I SAID THAT I WAS A TOURIST! in fact, in my first post, when referring to divers who had dived with OE, i used the words, "dived with US".

Oh, yeah, I believe that!
Here's what you really wrote:
...ocean encounters ... dealing with them was like dealing with a corporate lawyer. while they have nice boats and equipment, they have no idea how to help their guest's (sic) have FUN!and most of the people i spoke with who were diving with us felt the same way. they are also two or three times more expensive than the other operators around the island. don't waste your money!

It is clear as a bell that "them" isn't "us."
E

OK then. I guess I couldn't distract you with baseball or basketball...
For the other forum lurkers.... there are number of dive ops on the island. I have my favorites; Ocean Encounters WEST and the Dive Bus. Because I mainly shore dive, I know many great folks at Discover Diving, Cas Abou, Porto Marie and Downtown Diving to name just a few. For the most part they all know their stuff. Some dive masters are transient so on occasion you might get someone brand new who is less informed than others. Some dive ops run a very strict schedule and while it is not my thing, they do well to service a larger number of divers in a timely fashion. Employees on this island are extremely tough to deal with. The dive industry is heads above any other business on dependability, knowledge and customer satisfaction. Again, some leave after 90 days so it's hard to get a great match between help and management. But, most dive ops have done so.
Please don't let individual postings get you nervous about the diving or the island. OK, so don't sign up for a dive package and experience a couple different options as well as sites. I think you can see by the last couple of dozen posts that most divers like the country, the diving, the people. You will as well.
Yeah John, maybe the bickering does have an entertaining factor to it all. :wink:

Curacao Trip Report:

Hello everyone! My wife and I just returned last weekend (June 20th, 2009) from a week in Curacao. Not a whole lot of different dive sites to report on since we only dove one all week, Pierbaai Reef down to Car Pile.

Diving
My wife and I had 12 dives each up to this point and had never dived without a DM. So this was a great chance for us to get out on our own.

We dove with Mark and Suzy from The Dive Bus. I cannot say enough good stuff about Suzy and Mark. Amazing people and extremely helpful. We loved the House Reef (Pierbaai) so much we just dove it all week. It was what we REALLY got into diving for. Taking our own time and enjoying long bottom times. Saw lot's of great critters.

Looking back, we probably would have dove a few more places, but we really got out of the trip what we wanted. And it was up to us and our pace, which was GREAT! Again, Mark and Suzy from The Dive Bus made us feel right at home. They answered any questions we had and really made us feel like their shop was our own private diving center. Make sure you eat next door at Surf & Turf also, the Chicken Sate is amazing!

I discovered last year on a trip to Kauai I have a tendency to get sea sick during surface intervals on boat dives. It is my understanding, that almost any dive site around Curacao is accessible from shore. If not most, a huge number! (similar to Bonaire). So finding The Dive Bus was great because they'll take you by bus (actually it's a nice big van... but really, The Dive Van just doesn't sound as good) to tons of sites around the island. They'll even allow you to follow them in your own car. They really do a great job of helping you with whatever you want to do. My wife and I have really been wanting to start diving on our own rather than pay a DM every time or all the expense that comes with boat dives. Granted they (DM's) show you some neat stuff, but we prefer to take our own time and a lot of times just sit and watch a small coral head. When you're with a group on a boat dive it's hard to do that. Mark and Suzy at The Dive Bus really helped us feel safe with venturing out on our own. Giving us tips and suggestions. It was just what we needed.

Lodging
We stayed at Kontiki Dive and Beach Resort. Would we stay there again? NO.

Firstly, I'm not sure why it's called a Dive resort, besides the fact that there's an Ocean Encounters satellite shop a few steps away. I guess we expected it to cater a little more to divers, with maybe someplace to hang wetsuits to dry for starters. We used the handles on the windows in the bathroom which did work. And there's really no place to put your clothes so we just went out of our suitcase all week. There are hangers and a few shelves, but that's it (3 shelves above the small fridge and safe and one shelve above the area to hang clothes). No place to sit in the room other than the bed (and single chair at small desk), or bring in the chairs off the balcony. Although, we've never stayed at an exclusive dive resort so maybe this is normal. Just seemed like they would anticipate basic needs of divers like someplace to hang wet suits.

I was unable to find any decent reviews in English of Kontiki online so I knew we were taking a chance. It is still under construction somewhat but that really didn't matter since we were on the opposite side of resort from the construction with an ocean view.

This place was just not for us. If you want quiet and peaceful, this is not the place. Which seems like a contradiction since they advertise as Eco-Friendly and green and their in-room Guest Manual has a loud music policy. I had read a few reviews that talked about the loud music from the disco club or whatever next door on the weekends, but during our week stay, 5 out of the 7 nights were just frustrating to put it nicely. If I remember correctly, the only night there was no music playing (either at the disco club or the Cababa Beach Restaurant just below the resort) was Tuesday and Thursday nights. Granted our room was right above the Cabana Beach club, but the base from the speakers there and next door made it impossible to not hear or feel the sound. They're both popular night spots for locals.

I realize this is a dive board and not hotel review or trip advisor, but since Kontiki advertises as a "Dive" resort just thought I'd give our opinion.

We requested an ocean view room, which is basically their room "closest" to the ocean...which you can see. However, between the resort and the ocean is Cabana Beach Club. A fairly nice restaurant and bar. They had live music from what I remember, Sat(or Sun), Wednesday, and Friday. The guy playing piano and singing was great, we really enjoyed him, the first time. But our room was directly behind the restaurant (which when sitting on the balcony you get the nice sound of air conditioner fans and compressors on the back side of the restaurant) so the music from the Cabana carried right into our room. And then the base from the club next door that rattled our windows until 3 or 4 a.m on Saturday and Sunday. Earplugs and/or iPod and head under pillow didn't work.

The Kontiki staff was really nice however. We called up one night to see if they could have the Cabana Club turn their music down, they said they would. 15 minutes later it got louder. No kidding. I'm not saying it was Kontiki's fault. It really seems like they have little control since it is a separate business. The problem is they're two different businesses and we realize they really have separate business models so we understood. Finally that night my wife and I went down and listened for a while on the beach and before returning to our room, my wife just went up and asked the DJ to turn the music down. Which he did.

If you like to party, this place is great! We don't so it wasn't for us.

Next to the last night we walked all the way down the boardwalk next to the beach and found Hemingway Beach Bar and Restaurant at Lions Dive & Beach Resort. Great restaurant and really reasonable prices. I had the most expensive entree the Ribeye (ala carte fries) and my wife had a pasta, and side salad, with desert and a virgin colada all for less then $70 with 18% tip. The next night our bill was under $62 for both. For the atmosphere and food quality that's a great price! The crowd at Lions Dive seemed a lot more our pace. We'll stay there if we return. Lion's Dive seemed a lot nicer than the impression I got from my web research. Great (and more private) beach and obviously geared more towards divers.

Conclusion
Diving: The Dive Bus, two thumbs up and really want to return to dive with them.
Lodging: Kontiki Dive and Beach Resort, Bad if you like peace and quiet, good if you like to party. Next time we're definitely at Lion's Dive.
Thank you very much for your feedback it is very useful. I almost booked the Kontiki and mind you was told that there is some construction going on so I changed my reservation and now I am glad I did so. A group of us are going to Curacao in 3 weeks and I am really curious to see what it will be like. Very interesting turn of this post towards page 8 onwards.

Porsc,
I have to agree with JD950.Full disclosure is not your strong suit. You omitted to tell us the full story. Perhaps your bitterness towards your former employer has compromised your objectivity. I have never been to Curacao, but have done alot of research for an upcomming trip and OEW gets mostly positive reviews. Your scathing review is unique in my research. (Although, a few have complained that the boat dives are too regimented in terms of where you dive on which day.) I plan to dive with them since the great majority of the trip reports are positive. Porsc, no personal attack is intended here-your profile shows that you are a well rounded person and highly traveled- but I suspect that your objectivity is a little clouded on this issue.

Porsc merely shared his experience. As mentioned previously by others, it is his right to do so even if there is bitterness/foul mouthing / lack of objectivity whatever. I know in relationships both parties have their share of responsibility. Take the feedback seriously, don't take it seriously it's up to you.

I have also traveled quite a bit in Asia and I am sure that the diving experiences i've had are superior and even though i am excited about my upcoming trip to Curacao, i know it wil not be as good as Malaysia or Indonesia. It's ok though, divind does not have to be the same around the world.

Porsc, you did a nice cut and past job with my post including the omission of the entire middle paragraph. Which stated:

"I was wondering if you addressed your greivances with OE in order to not only increase your satisfaction, but to provide them with honest feedback which to improve upon. I always appreciate reading feedback on dive ops. I just feel bad for the company who had no idea that their service was unsatisfactory only to be blindsided on various forums. "

I do enjoy reading different opinions and personal experiences. But I would never support a blatant hijack of the OP in order to create a smear campaign. You could still have made your point by communicating your grievances through private messages and E mail with OE and PADI.

Last edited:
Employees on this island are extremely tough to deal with.

Ya reckon? We can empirically attest to this ourselves. Some, but never, ever, all.

Forgot that Curacao doesn't have rattlesnakes, copperheads, or water mocccasins, or horned lizards, and Texas doesn't have wild iguanas.

Ever tried prickly pear fruit sorbet / gelato?:wink:

I'm lost on the bickering factor entertainment - just personal taste. I think this whole 'social networking' concept is something I'm not well suited for.

To twist a phrase from the Greatest generation, that grew up during the Great Depression of the 1930's, for me, is

"If this is social networking, I'll take vanilla!"

Porsc:

I am not looking for a fight on this. I think you could have identified your relationship to OE and context of your complaints more accurately, but that's just my opinion and you feel differently. That's okay. I am sorry you had such a bad experience on Curacao and with your employer and will leave it to you and OE to sort out your issues.

I am going to go and plan my next dive trip now.

Oh, I will add this. If anyone knows of better shore diving in the Caribbean than I can find on Bonaire and Curacao, please let me know. I am looking forward to someday going to the South Pacific and other distant locations but not this year. I love Cozumel but the shore diving is not great. Whatever Curacao is or isn't, as far as I know it is the best shore diving that is available to me now (along with Bonaire).

If there is something else out there, please share it and I will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom