Curacao vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of going to Curacao for a week. I know it doesn't have the walk in entry points like Bonaire, but I think that's more attractive to me. I know it is for my dive buddies.

I'm interested in feedback in the quality of corals and marine life in Curacao compared to Bonaire. Once you're underwater, are they similar?

I kept this out of either of the two sub forums in order to not exclude lovers of either island.

I have only been to Curacao once, but Bonaire numerous times. My rather poor recollection is that underwater the two islands can be similar, though Curacao seemed more site-dependent than Bonaire, which had reliably good diving at every site. Though you didn't ask, as far as topside is concerned, for me it's Bonaire all the way. It's a diver's island.

Though you didn't ask, as far as topside is concerned, for me it's Bonaire all the way. It's a diver's island.
And if you don't want a "diver's island" but an actual island? Curacao? I suppose there's more going on there?

Haven't been to Bonaire in >25 years so my reference is likely not even close to current, but have been to Curacao 3x in the "recent" past. Curacao has a lot more "topside". Would be interesting to see Bonaire again and how it has changed, but the cost is much more that Curacao.

The extreme ends of both islands tend to be the best, in terms of reef health. Dive on the ends of either island, and you'll have as-good-as-it-gets caribbean reefs.

As Lorenzoid said, Bonaire has more consistently healthy reefs, whereas Curacao has some dead spots in the middle of the island that aren't great dives.

The biggest difference between the islands, is really the spacing. On Bonaire you can see the next dive site from the site you are at, whereas on Curacao you are packing up the car and driving a bit to the next one.

If you are only doing 2 dives a day, do either one, there are more great spots than you'll hit in a week anyway.

If you are looking for 4 dives a day, do Bonaire, the smaller size and denser spacing, make it possible.

The wildlife, is identical. Chromis, as far as the eye can see, schools of Chromis.

Three dives a day on Curacao is pretty easy, four is no problem if you double dip. There are few sites where you can easily spend an hour of two if you choose hanging on the beach or at the beach bar between dives. There are many "walk in" sites, you walk in on a sandy beach, and snorkel a couple hundred years out to the reef.

I prefer curaçao.
Care to elaborate on that sentiment?

Haven't been to Bonaire in >25 years so my reference is likely not even close to current, but have been to Curacao 3x in the "recent" past. Curacao has a lot more "topside". Would be interesting to see Bonaire again and how it has changed, but the cost is much more that Curacao.
I think they may have added land sailing during that time. And, maybe a few more restaurants.

Three dives a day on Curacao is pretty easy, four is no problem if you double dip. There are few sites where you can easily spend an hour of two if you choose hanging on the beach or at the beach bar between dives. There are many "walk in" sites, you walk in on a sandy beach, and snorkel a couple hundred years out to the reef.
We're mostly interested in boat dives, which appear to be more common than Bonaire.

I'm Atlanta based. Getting to Bonaire or Aruba is easy. How are the flights on Divi Divi Air? I seem to remember reading they are quite unreliable. Is that still true?

I have been to Curacao 13 times and to Bonaire 4 times.

Curacao has a "city" with all the services and entertainment (dive sites there too) on one end and very secluded beaches and less crowds outside the city especially on the opposite end of the island from the city. Diving is great and the dive sites are easier to get into the water from shore than Bonaire. Marine life in Curacao is "bigger" than Bonaire. Bonaire is more "Macro" when Curacao is more "medium" marine life (still plenty of macro however). The distance between dive sites in Curacao is generally longer than in Bonaire. I usually do two dives in one site in Curacao in the morning (first dive to the right and second to the left) followed by lunch and a nap then one or two dives in another site. When I am diving in Porto Marie, I stay there all day and do 3 - 4 dives. Porto Marie is one of the best dives sites in Curacao, better than anything in Bonaire also. I may do a night dive at the dive site at the resort where I am staying but I am usually in a coma after dinner until morning :) Quality of diving in Curacao and Bonaire are tops Caribbean scale but they are slightly different from each other.

P.S. Most dive sites in Curacao are sandy beaches where your non-diving companion can stay and sunbathe or you in between dives or for the rest of the day. Bonaire not so much, hardly any place on shore to hang out between dives.

My dream is to have enough time and $$$ to do a 2 - 3 week trip, half in Bonaire and half in Curacao. This will be the ultimate Caribbean dive vacation for me.

One of the things different between Bonaire and Curacao is the UW topography is more varied on Curacao. (Which is one of the things I prefer about Curacao.) I wouldn’t say the sea life is identical either, you’ll tend to see more of some things on one or the other. Perhaps true that you’ll want to be a little choosier about sites on Curacao.

Not sure what is meant by Curacao not having the walk in entry points of Bonaire? Both have plenty. More ironshore on Bonaire and beachier on Curacao.

I would have once agreed shore diving was more common on Bonaire and boat diving on Curacao. Not sure if that is still true, but yeah probably more varied options for boat diving on Curacao anyway. (Another thing we like.)

Not underwater, but we much prefer Curacao for dining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom