Curacao vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There really aren’t an absence of shorse entries on curaçao but for sure not as easy to find as Bonaire. I prefer the freewheeling style of a nice house to stay in and bounce off restaurants to pick from and the unlimited tank option from Dive Bus, who also have some boat dives available. There is a lot of crap dumped in the ocean but it quickly gets claimed by the wildlife as habitat.

both are good choices, I started going to curaçao when airfare to Bonaire got nuts, it still costs more to go to Bonaire from my area.

some historical stuff just open to the public.
922E13F6-657D-437D-8D56-E51E6BC19AE7.jpeg
4B7CE0FC-13CA-4981-A4FF-D7548878CE73.jpeg
85427C72-ECE4-4791-B725-A8C61F73BC1E.jpeg

I've been to both islands many times. I definitely prefer Curacao. But, if you want to shore dive Curacao properly, it's a good idea to go with someone who knows the island. It's difficult for a new visitor to the island to shore dive on the best sites, because it isn't set up as intuitively as Bonaire. Watamula (boat dive) is arguably the healthiest and most thriving reef in the Caribbean.

Shore diving Bonaire is far more intuitive and easier for the newer diver, and boat diving is similar on both islands. Getting around and learning the island is also easier on Bonaire. You wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.

Watamula (boat dive) is arguably the healthiest and most thriving reef in the Caribbean.

Wow, I didn't know that. Never been there, I'll make sure I visit it next time. Since it is at the far end of the island, not many boats go there.

Wow, I didn't know that. Never been there, I'll make sure I visit it next time. Since it is at the far end of the island, not many boats go there.

GoWest does at least once a week, but because it's such a popular spot, you may need to book in advance.

Ich habe auch für Curacao gestimmt
besonders wenn es darum geht, sich mit nicht tauchenden Partnern zu arrangieren. Da rs ist von Vorteil, schöne und bewirtschaftete Strände mit Tauch- und Zugangsmöglichkeiten zu haben, meistens flach abfallend über feinem Sand.
War 3 Wochen mit einer nicht tauchenden Frau dort und wir waren beide zufrieden und entspannt👌👌👌
Video folgt kahl😎

Hi @BoltSnap

I wouldn't go quite as far as @Divedoggie, but Watamula is a very good dive, best dive we did in Curacao. We did it twice on our visit, once as one of the scheduled morning dives and the second time when there was very brisk current at Elvin's Plane Wreck and we ended up drifting that site and Watamula. On the first dive there was a gigantic school of Boga, really spectacular. The hard corals are fantastic. On the second dive we had a couple of Eagle Rays in the sand.

Currently, Watamula is on the Go West schedule for Thursday morning as well as on the Monday and Friday afternoon one tanker.

If I was to go back to Curacao, I would probably try to get in some dives off Eastpoint, of course this would be the opposite coast Home | Dive Charter Curacao

Ich habe auch für Curacao gestimmt
besonders wenn es darum geht, sich mit nicht tauchenden Partnern zu arrangieren. Da rs ist von Vorteil, schöne und bewirtschaftete Strände mit Tauch- und Zugangsmöglichkeiten zu haben, meistens flach abfallend über feinem Sand.
War 3 Wochen mit einer nicht tauchenden Frau dort und wir waren beide zufrieden und entspannt👌👌👌
Video folgt kahl😎

Fantastic video. Thank you for sharing it!

Watamula (boat dive) is arguably the healthiest and most thriving reef in the Caribbean.
I'd argue that the east end of Curacao is also this good, and only accessible by boat. Probably why it's so good. Diver Charter Curacao will take you to the west (Watamula) and east ends in their RIB. Really fun trips! Also, a site like Tugboat is a great and very easy shore dive, and Beacon Point is a fantastic boat dive with the largest pillar coral formation in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom