Custom Diver Canister Light Carry On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bructer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be heading to Maui to do some diving with the wife for a couple weeks on the 15th. Has anyone had problems at Customs with transporting their canister lights on the plane as the batteries looks like a bomb? I'll have my regs/comp/canister in my carry on bag. Should I mention this to the Customs Officer "before" they go through the scanner?

Thoughts or experiences?

Cheers,

This has been discussed in the general equipment section previously. The short end of it is that its ok to travel with the lights. Explain that they are scuba lights. They may want to see the batteries. Also - dont say it looks like a bomb. Dont even say bomb.

I carry my torch batteries in hand luggage all the time due to weight restriction and never had a problem.

Then again i haven't had to suffer the massively corrupt and incompetent TSA yet in doing so.

Doesn't hurt to carry a copy of the manufacturer's brochure or something similar showing a picture of the battery ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We carry ours in a pelican case and get stopped and searched every single time. They run they're bomb sniffer over it then let us pack em up. On we go. Never any problems other that they do look suspicious in the x-ray

Customs doesn't care. I don't think you have to clear customs for Hawaii unless maybe your from Texas.

TSA doesn't care to hear what you think might frighten them. They might need some educating after they spot it. Like the man infered, do a search here. If all else fails, turn the light on for them.

Carrying all that stuff in the cabin, are you? I never do, and I travel lots.

SharkAttack:
We carry ours in a pelican case and get stopped and searched every single time

Why would you carry a case that is designed for checking through as a carry-on? Is it just to attract attention? I guess it does. Go low key, maybe you'll get a pass. Air tight cases get them nutty... they make me notice, too~ but more an issue of non-practicality and lack of need. Pelicans are for checking, not schlepping.

The worst thing is they made me remove the lamps. No big deal, bring them.

Make one of those stickers... you know... like the one from Oxyhacker

battery.jpg

You can download this and print it or go to the airspeed press...web site and download it.

http://ashdesigns.us/stephen/Diving/Cannister Light/BatteryLabelDrycell.jpg

Never pack it with the battery plugged in. Tape over all connectors so there's no way to short circuit.

Remove the o-ring from the can lid.

Put a copy of the manual with a pic in with your light.

One of the "corrupt and incompetent" officers of the TSA told me that they only check canister lights belonging to people from the UK, just to hassle them.

Not that I own a canister light, but my camera bag usually gets run through the xray machine twice and about half the time they make me open it up for them. I think it's the 500mm lense that worries them....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom