Cypress Springs 1-8-05 & Morrison Spring 1-9-05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so envious that you (collectively) are diving Cyprus. Since the property was sold & there is no land access, all us non-boaters are SOL.

Dang, I'm jealous! :17:

The clearing issue seems backwards. Logically if the river is dropping it should be drawing bad water out of the Morrison basin, and the spring should be filling the basin with clear water. When the river is rising, bad water should be flowing into Morrison and mixing. In any case, below 6ft seems to be the magic figure, though I havnt seen it super clear in a long time, maybe it needs to get to 3ft or something.

SeaYoda:
You must not have read about our last trip :D .

LOL, think I did, but it seems you guys are making progress. Hopefully we'll have a dry Spring season. Wishin' anyhow.

SubMariner:
I am so envious that you (collectively) are diving Cyprus. Since the property was sold & there is no land access, all us non-boaters are SOL.

Rent a canoe, paddle for 20min and you're onsite :D You don't have to be a boat owner, all you have to do is have $50(or $25 if you split cost with a buddy) and the ability to make some progress upstream :D

SubMariner:

The canoes that we rent from Vortex are wide and stable - great for diving. I'm seriously thinking about getting a sit-on-top kayak so I won't need to even rent anymore.

Come on over when we go again and we'll be glad to have you along. I don't plan on leaving this dive off my list because of access. A little sweat (and I mean little) and you get a big reward. Changing tanks was different but not terrible. All the little problems melted away once I hit the water.

jviehe:
The clearing issue seems backwards. Logically if the river is dropping it should be drawing bad water out of the Morrison basin, and the spring should be filling the basin with clear water. When the river is rising, bad water should be flowing into Morrison and mixing. In any case, below 6ft seems to be the magic figure, though I havnt seen it super clear in a long time, maybe it needs to get to 3ft or something.
I don't think the basin gets flooded until the river gets over its bank and backs up into the run or over the ground between the river and the spring - just having a higher level in the river doesn't seem to push water through the ground. I guess the tanic water gets mixed with the clear until the flow can go back down stream when the river gets back into its banks. I'd love to hear what an expert would say really happens - but in any case I'll just enjoy the dive when I can.

Perhaps Cypress spring is somewhere we should also make inquiries about, as to ownership? Last I heard it was privately owned, and they were trying to figure out how to bottle water, but no action has been taken. Maybe a deal could be worked out with the owners to allow diving again from land.

The guy who lives in the house on the banks of Becton used(maybe still does?) to own Cypress from what I understand. He's supposed to be a decent guy from what the owner at my LDS was telling me. Could be worth the effort to find out.

I may have a line on some used kayaks, possibly trading my Zodiac for a few of em :) We'll see...

SuPrBuGmAn:
...I may have a line on some used kayaks, possibly trading my Zodiac for a few of em :) We'll see...
Keep me posted!

SuPrBuGmAn:
The guy who lives in the house on the banks of Becton used(maybe still does?) to own Cypress from what I understand. He's supposed to be a decent guy from what the owner at my LDS was telling me. Could be worth the effort to find out.

Definitely! If the it's the fellow I'm thinking of, he's a decent chap who just got tired of battling the FL Gov over keeping the site open commercially, so he sold it off. Dang... I used to have his name somewhere but of course it's no where to be found now. :sad:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom