Cypress Springs 1-8-05 & Morrison Spring 1-9-05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water company owns the land. I am not sure which one. On my last two trips to Panama City I have seen tanker trucks going in and out. They widened the road and put down gravel. There are large signs saying "No Trespassing" on the entrance to the road.

I guess mineral rights was a misnomer. I meant that he retained rights to get a royalty from water pumped. I understand that this is a part of his overall compensation package. I have heard that the water companies promise lots but don't always keep them.

The water is not being pumped from the spring itself but from wells on the property.

It is a shame that it is no longer open but with limited access it will stay beautiful. I just hope they don't put a trailer park on the property.

jviehe:
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea who owns the land around cypress, then? Im not sure what mineral rights means.

The springs link is great, I found it through Google a few months ago - very helpfull and thorough.

mynitrox - thanks for the background info.

The one positive side of the canoe access only, is that it seems to have kept hoards of divers out. Both times I dove it, our group was the only people there :D

Tom Smedley:
Washington County Florida is governed under the "Good Old Boy" system which means "he who greaseth my pockets the most wins."

Tom - That sounds about right. I live in Bay County and the same Good Old Boy network has been meeting near Econfina for YEARS.

I wouldn't mind asking Mr. Vickers if he would let us put in on his property. Might be a good way for him to thumb his nose at all of them. He could start renting canoe's for divers to go to Cypress. Hell he could charge $75 and still beat the price at Vortex!

darcy:
I wouldn't mind asking Mr. Vickers if he would let us put in on his property. Might be a good way for him to thumb his nose at all of them. He could start renting canoe's for divers to go to Cypress. Hell he could charge $75 and still beat the price at Vortex!

:lol2: Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants to those "boys"?!

I would sure like to dive Cypress again. :thumb:

I haven't talked to Harold in a while. I know he has paved the road going to his house and has installed one of those gates where you have to punch in a code to get through. I know that he was still trying to develop Big Ugly because he got in trouble last year for hauling limestone out. I don't know how he came out on that one. I ate at Blitch's not long ago and she said that there has been no more in the local papers.

darcy:

SuPrBuGmAn:
We're diving it on the 22nd - come join us. :crafty:

Sorry, prior committment to dive The Gulf that weekend. Gonna try out my new Volos. :wink:

SubMariner:
Sorry, prior committment to dive The Gulf that weekend. Gonna try out my new Volos. :wink:
I'm sure we'll be going again and you're more than welcome to join in.

darcy:
...I wouldn't mind asking Mr. Vickers if he would let us put in on his property... He could start renting canoe's for divers to go to Cypress...he could charge $75 and still beat the price at Vortex!
Beckton is a little further down stream than the boat launch on 277 that we went to - not a lot further to paddle, but some. He would have to beat the $50.00 price that we pay for taking our rental canoe to the creek ourselves. Still not a terrible idea especially if you could play at Beckton (when clear). That would be two springs for the price of one. Add some rental tanks and have a new dive business from home.

I'm not asking you to give away any hard earned secrets but could you enlighten us on the boat ramp on 277 either by post or pm????
icon_smile.gif

SeaYoda:
Beckton is a little further down stream than the boat launch on 277 that we went to - not a lot further to paddle, but some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom