D-rings in sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

methinks there must be a mistake from Halcyon when they assembled it.... I'm assuming it came from Edd's and they must not have opened it prior to shipping.

That bottom most D-ring shouldn't exist. The small D-rings to the bungees on the chest strap are right, one of the more brilliant things on that unit actually.
The next set of D-rings should be in the usual hogarthian position which is your "low" d-ring, so that's when you have your arms out flat and bring your thumbs into your chest, generally about 2 inches above your nipple line.
Next set of D-rings are your "high" d-rings, and those can be used for vertical mounted backup lights, not easy on this rig since it doesn't have epaulets, but are better used for clipping your regulators to so they are a bit higher up and out of the way than they are on the lower set. I usually put these at the break in your shoulder, so parallel to your collar bone

I use, as standard and identical on all my rigs, the following:

2x Low Profile D-Rings on the shoulders. Located just immediately below my collar bones. These connect the cylinder bungees via bolt snap. The LPI routes across my chest to the right D-Ring. The long-hose, when clipped off, is also on the right D-Ring. Deco/Stages, when carried, also clip to the shoulder D-Rings.

2x D-Ring/Rails at the rear, lower back. To clip off the lower cylinder (AL tanks), when negatively buoyant.

2x D-Ring on the front hips. To clip off the lower cylinder (AL Tanks), when positively buoyant.

2x Rubber O-Ring (aka 'stealth loops) at the mid-rear waist, for lower deco/stage cylinder clip-off. This keeps the stages more in trim than the front D-Rings.

Thanks, guys! Andy, what is the rationale behind the stealth loops being made of rubber, and not just plain D-rings like everything else? Just to avoid getting confused when feeling by touch, or is there a deeper reason?

keeps them from sliding, they tend to "grab" onto the webbing and your exposure protection so when you need to slide them up or down they stay where you put them. Normal D-rings are fixed so they slide around freely, but the extra friction from the rubber combined with the tank "pinching" it keeps the tank in place

T-bone, my friend, you seem very knowledgeable, and always super helpful. Thanks very much!!!!

See below. I made minimal adjustments, but overall, the layout is still as it came out of the box. I think you are suggesting that the two top left D-rings should go up to get aligned with the right side, and the top ones to be used for clipping off stages? Do you clip backups and stages on the same D-rings, backups in the inverted position with the light heads pointing up and behind your neck? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and whoever assembled it just made a mistake... it looks like the 5th (non-bent) chest D-ring was probably moved off the butt tri-glide on the crotch strap, I might as well move it back there.

View attachment 199162

I think (but I'm not positive) that the left side Drings are all supposed to be there.

The lowest one should be above the inflator loop though and I suspect it was put there to clip off the top of the power inflator coming up from the left. The other two (upper) left ones should be at the same height as the right side (they are too low now). The middle dring is for backup lights which route down. The upper dring is just extra.

The contour is a modification of the hollis sms100 with the Edd mods so I am basing this on what I have seen of that and local practices in the Marianna FL area.

My systems are similar to Andys, this looks like a whole lotta shoulder D rings for no real reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjack, either way that is way too many even for what Edd is using. You want the power inflator on the chest strap not on the shoulder straps, which is what the loop on the chest strap is for.
Halcyon could very well have put them all there intentionally, but I'm dumbfounded as to why. If you're on facebook, join this group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/534684879988278/
and ask John directly, or call Edd's shop and ask either one of them, they were the two with the most input on the design and would be able to help you out much better than any of us can speculate

rjack, either way that is way too many even for what Edd is using. You want the power inflator on the chest strap not on the shoulder straps, which is what the loop on the chest strap is for.
Halcyon could very well have put them all there intentionally, but I'm dumbfounded as to why. If you're on facebook, join this group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/534684879988278/
and ask John directly, or call Edd's shop and ask either one of them, they were the two with the most input on the design and would be able to help you out much better than any of us can speculate

I don' think its a big deal. I have been hooking my inflator to my sternum strap. I just figured the big H thought clipping it to a Dring might be better (and it might be) but looking at the Drings again I think its too low on the left side to actually work that way. So I don't know what it would be for either.

Assuming the low low left Dring is removed, I use the lower of the chest rings for backup light and the uppers for my right hand 2nd stage since its on a long hose and gets clipped off. The upper left is where I clip off a stage. Multiple stages gets messing and I won't be diving that many stages Sm very often to ever get it polished anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom