(D)SMB or Safety Sausage for safety in current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not advocating that this is the best DSMB for every diver, or every scenario, but the Halcyon 3.3’ dsmb has been a great little dsmb for me so far.

It’s small (this is a good thing for me and my diving, but may be a negative for different dives), narrow (I can easily inflate mine with a single breath form 15’), and well built. The only two drawbacks that I see with it are that it’s expensive, and it’s size. I didn’t mind paying up for it… and if I need a larger dsmb for different conditions I can pack my 6’ dmsb…

It’s served me well so far, and it’s been a joy to practice with, and use when needed. As a side note, one could always add a BIG SMB to their kit, using the 3.3’ tiny one from depth. If needed, a big SMB could be inflated once you’re on the surface to aid in your boat spotting you…

YMMV… just my 2psi…

I have that small Halcyon one too - one boat captain told me at times he really thought it was hard to see. I see his point when he's 300yds away though... They are very nice buoys and very compact too.... I bought the captain binoculars for Christmas Ha Ha

another vote for the halcyon 3 footer

i purchased it to replace a hollis closed end one. the hollis had to have the inflater pushed in to put air in or out, the halcyon doesnt need that.... just pressure to push the air in and its one way..... need to use the dump valvue to deflate..... i like that much better (as does my teeth as i chipped my tooth at least once on the hollis)

I echo what @ChuckP said... the 3.3' is very compact.
I don't know how some people take their huge dsmb and reel with them on every dive. I know the big ones are needed on some dives, but if my only option was a big one (and a reel) or not carrying one I'd probably not carry one 90% of the time.
It's all about the right tool for the job... the vast majority of the time the 3.3' is perfect for me (and small enough where I don't notice it and bring it on every dive)...

Back
Top Bottom