Dacor 900 reg, upgrade to 4 LP ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, some time ago I've bought a Dacor 900 1st stage reg refurbished.
It works pretty well, and I'm very glad with it. Some months ago I did the yearly revision and the technician was astounded to see such a nice reg and in such a good shape.
But, there is always a but, it only has 3 LP ports. This is in no way a problem if I dive wet. 2nd main, octopus and power inflator. The problem arises when I dive dry. I need one more LP port for the dry suit inflator hose.
I've tried with a 2 hose connector, but I had an air leak. I don't like air leaks.
I could try with those inflator + octopus (octoinflator), but I don't like octoinflators. I prefer the yellow hose with the octopus quite visible.
I've been thinking what to do, and navigating in e-bay I've found a Dacor 900 1st stage regulator with 4 LP ports. Same model but with one more LP port and at a derisory price.
Now I can do two things :
1) disassemble the LP ports turret in both regs and interchange them, so I will have my previous reg (refurbished, tested, serviced, safe) with 4 LP ports.
2) service the new Dacor 900 and use it as it is.
3) send both regs to the service guy to do the 1) job.

The only question I have now is whether both turrets are interchangeable, I mean, if both have the same size.

Attachments

• two hose connector.jpg
    two hose connector.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 84
  • octoinflator.jpg
    octoinflator.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Dacor 900 1st stage 3.JPG
    Dacor 900 1st stage 3.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 140
If you really like the Dacor 900 and have a way to get it serviced, my vote is to buy the one on ebay and have it serviced. Keep your 3 port model as a spare.

I agree with Couv but an alternative would be to just dive the 3 port without an octo and carry a pony bottle as your backup.

I've received the Dacor 900 1st stage with 4 LP ports. I've disassembled the 4 LP ports rotary turret.
I've also disassembled my previous 3 LP ports rotary turret. I've compared them and they were the same (of course with one additional LP port).
Reassembled my reg with the new turret and everything seems to be fine. Will test soon.
Now I have a Dacor 900 1st stage for spare. Perhaps I will buy an octopus, a second main and a console and assemble a new reg set.

You could service the two hose connector. Worst case senario new O-rings and a little Dow Corning 111. I use three ways on some of my double hose regs so I can run a dry suit. No biggie. Dacor's were really nice regs. I use their Olympic series on a regular basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom