Dacor Rig Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An aluminumbackplate is only about 2 pounds - the rest of the BC is probably made from neutrally-bouyant material. Weight on land does not translate to weight in water.

I hope you weren't sold the BC on the pretext that it would allow you to drop some weight! If so someone was feeding you BS.

I have one of these BC's. It did allow me to drop some weight (about 8 pounds).

Things I like:
- velcro weights are more secure than seaquest kind
- metal backplate
- front zippered pouch/pocket
- lots of d-rings, although they are a little thick (yes I know some people don't want too many d-rings, sue me)

Things I don't like:
- no built in handle to go over the top of the tank like a seaquest bc, which makes it harder to align on the tank

Overall it's an ok BC, but I only paid $375 for it. I was thinking about buying a black diamond which would have cost me an extra $100, and I really do like having the backplate...

JSM

PS I do my diving in cold water in the northwest with a drysuit if that makes any difference.

I have heard nothing but good about these bc's. I have never used one, and i currently use a zeagle ranger tech bc.

...used, from an instructor at our LDS who was moving to (get this) New Guinea for a dive master gig. Nice.

I think I paid him $250. It was very well maintained, and he loved it -- but said he couldn't bring it along because it did not pack easily. So he brought his Malibu RDS (which was the model I was considering buying new).

Overall, I really like this BC. It's the first one I've owned, but I've tried many others. I knew I wanted weight-integrated and back inflation, and this had it all. Plus, the fit was just right. It came with bands for doubles, also.

Things I don't like about it:

The bladder is mighty large. Bungees?

The velcro flap over the undersized pocket comes undone.

The undersized pocket.

Yes, there is an abundance (or over-abundance) of D-rings, but they don't cause any problems.

I've seen this model and other Dacor Rigs blasted on this board. But my experience with the product has been very positive.

I've got the Rig Pro and it works fine for me :D

It's very stable in the water and there's plenty of places to attach your stuff (and the d-rings really don't get in the way).

I've heard the BP/Wings are better for serious cave diving, etc. I live in FL and know quite a few people that are serious cave divers and stand by their Dive Rite/Halcyon.

I got the Rig cuz I wanted a multi-purpose BC and it had all I really needed. I guess that's all that matters. :ggrin:

I teach Cavern and use the Rig Pro as a lesson on what not to buy for my students. If it works for you, that's fantastic. I hope that you continue to enjoy it.
That being said, I will not teach anyone who wears one. They are not conducive to diving.
Cheers and safe diving

Divesherpa once bubbled...
I teach Cavern and use the Rig Pro as a lesson on what not to buy for my students.
Sherp you've gotta give them more than that on this one... these guys at least deserve to hear what you tell your cavern students.

OK, Pug.
Let's start with the plate.
Why is it there? answer= to give impression of technical but "comfort" of regular BC.
D Rings everywhere= Charlie Foxtrot
Plastic clips that are huge and do very poorly in cool weather

Are you picking up a Buick?
I use a 55# bladder with 7 bottles. What on earth would anyone want with 70# of lift on a single tank BC?

Dacor made good stuff, once.

IT's a poser BC that clearly shows itself as a convoluted POS.
I won't teach anyone who leaps blindly into this stuff and actually thinks that this BC will do Diepolder (a cave) or the Gunilda (wreck) better than the other stuff that's out there. Why on earth would someone buy a plate and wrap it in garbage.

TWELVE D- Rings
I don't use that many when I've got two scooters and 6 stage bottles. How much crap do you need to wrap yourself in?

The list goes on, but I'm tired and I've gotta lay more line in the morning.
If I offended any of the Dacor and Zeagle crowd, I apologize. I base my opinions my personal feelings and experiences.

Cheers and safe diving,
Sherpa

P.S. How much did you pay for the B.C.?
Looks like a good way to end up impregnated by a Hawksbill.

:)

BC was $400 brand new.

If you read further into my last post, I said I had no interest in using it for cave/wreck diving. I've heard the whole Dive Rite/Halcyon story before.

I've used a Dive Rite and I liked it...but that's not the type of diving I do right now.

D-rings don't get in the way, so I really don't care. Not a CF for me.

Backplate WILL accomodate 2 tanks. Dacor sells an adapter specifically for the Rig.

It was a nice BC for a good price.:deal:

It is not a Halcyon or DR thing, the Rig was built by guys that don't dive. It looks cool in the window, but is not functional in the water. For 400.00 you could of gotten yourself a BP/Wings set up and have the ability to go from doubles to singles easily.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom