DAHAB - shore entry/exit difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? Didn't know that. How strange...

That is, I have noticed that even though vast areas are declared at different levels of "Nature Reserves", there are still lots and lots of places where there are either active fishermen or residuals from old past fishing lines and nets. Actually many liveaboard boats also practice fishing whenever they can...

Wouldn't think of diving with a line cutting tool and I think it is wrong to ask divers anywhere go without a cutting tool- It doesn't have to be a Rambo huge knife: a pair of scissors or a small simple knife will do the job when really needed.

As to the gloves- I guess the rational is the same "No cutting tool/gloves == less damage to reef", a disputable argument which I neither agree nor see the point of arguing about it, but it reminds me of an old joke:

A couple went on vacation to a fishing resort near a national park. The husband liked to fish at the crack of dawn; the wife preferred to read. One morning the husband returned after several hours of fishing and decided to take a short nap. The wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake. She rowed out, anchored the boat, and started reading her book. Along comes the park ranger in his boat, pulls up alongside and says, "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing? "Reading my book," she replies as she thinks to herself, 'is this guy blind, or what?' "You're in a no-fishing area," he informs her. "But, Officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?" "But you have all this equipment, Ma'am. I'll have to take you in and charge you." "If you do that I will charge you with rape," snaps the irate woman. "I didn't even touch you," grouses the ranger. "Yes, that's true... but you have all the equipment."
No need for mocking!

Actually the no gloves / no cutting tools was some kind of regulation here till the beginning of this year (2009). If you don't like that, forward your comments to HEPCA.

Not sure of the gloves rule here. Lots of people still wearing them and i can see why - there are jellies that can sting, people do fall on entry/exit etc. They have a purpose.

Really? Didn't know that. How strange...
well.. now you know :D
Not sure of the gloves rule here. Lots of people still wearing them and i can see why - there are jellies that can sting, people do fall on entry/exit etc. They have a purpose.
The rule is there; however it is up to the dive op if they're willing to relax it for you.

No need for mocking!

Actually the no gloves / no cutting tools was some kind of regulation here till the beginning of this year (2009). If you don't like that, forward your comments to HEPCA.

I wasn't mocking- you should already know that I am quite serious (most of the time :wink: )

And I find it a good idea to send comments to HEPCA, which I'll probably do.

It happened to me more than once to find myself in close relationship with fishing line thrown from one of the too many liveaboards that crowd together for night dives in popular sites (yeah, fishing probably prohibited, and most likely the crew and/or guests don't ask too many questions where the fresh fish/calamari served at dinner come from...).

In some more remote areas I have noticed occasional nets, some were "ghosts from the past" others seemed amazingly new and in good condition. What I haven't seen lately is dynamite fishing (which was quite prevalent in the late '80s- many places the reef damage is still apparent) but a cutting tool isn't effective for this anyway :D

A cutting tool is an essential thing for a diver regardless of local regulations (which we have the very same ones also on our side, BTW, and I think they are wrong).

I wasn't mocking- you should already know that I am quite serious (most of the time :wink: )

And I find it a good idea to send comments to HEPCA, which I'll probably do.

It happened to me more than once to find myself in close relationship with fishing line thrown from one of the too many liveaboards that crowd together for night dives in popular sites (yeah, fishing probably prohibited, and most likely the crew and/or guests don't ask too many questions where the fresh fish/calamari served at dinner come from...).

In some more remote areas I have noticed occasional nets, some were "ghosts from the past" others seemed amazingly new and in good condition. What I haven't seen lately is dynamite fishing (which was quite prevalent in the late '80s- many places the reef damage is still apparent) but a cutting tool isn't effective for this anyway :D

A cutting tool is an essential thing for a diver regardless of local regulations (which we have the very same ones also on our side, BTW, and I think they are wrong).
We all know that these regulations are not the best thing for the divers' safety. However, they have been enforced by HEPCA.

As per my previous post, these regulations were into action till the beginning of this year (2009). Now it is allowed to have gloves and cutting tools, as per CDWS regulations.

The sites that can be tricky are: Abu Helal, Abu Talha, Eel Garden, The Islands. Sometimes you get a trong current when entering the lagoon at the Canyon, but you will feel this as you leave it so you can prepare and start your way back with an extra 10-20 bar just in case... stay low and use the dead corals to pull you in, is a short strech.

Sites tha can be dives more or less every day is: Bells-Blue hole, Blue hole South ("right"), Lighthouse, Golden Blocks, Moray Garden, Three pools (can have bad viz if its windy) and caves (if its not too choppy).

My favorite spots at the moment is Abu Helal and Abu talha (almost no other divers there and chances to se special things) Ras Abu Galum and Gabr el Bint (for these you will need a camel or a boat)

But its like the other here point out, dont worry about it :D

I am considering doing a weeks diving in Dahab with my girlfriend. (having dived Sharm sites numerous times I want to try elsewhere). My concern is how difficult and dangerous are the shore entries here as my girlfrind is not as physically strong as myself. (Being knocked over by waves onto sharp coral doesn't appeal to me either). Also do the currents make getting back to the fixed exit points difficult.

All beach entries and exits at Dahab a completely beginner safe. With a guide you won't enter or exit near coral, so no worries there. Dahab is a great place to dive.

Ras Abu Galum and Gabr el Bint (for these you will need a camel or a boat)

But get those the correct way around, I have seen camels bathing at the Blue Hole but not sure how well they can swim :wink:

The road ends at the blue hole and to get to Ras Abu Galum you get on a camel there for 1.5 hours to the dive site. It can also be done by boat but generally isnt.

Gabr El Bint generally is onlly dived by boat (about 1.5hrs south of the marina).

Anyway, no wind, sea is calm and a full moon (near anyway) so night dive at the canyon for me just for fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom