Daily report for TsandM & WADiverBob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Pictures:
Mark & Rick at the tables.
A seal swims back and forth staring at Priscilla (check out the raging surf!).
Me and Mrs. I after lunch at Lobos (the water is flat calm).
nice pix...dude...i like your table :wink:

I don't think it was a thresher. I think that the REALLY long tail would really stand out. It also really looked grey to me, and not blue. My first reaction was that it was a white, but it didn't really look like one. It seemed slimmer and not as "bulky" as a white. It also didn't look "rough" like a white, but more streamlined. Hard to describe and we only saw it from the top. Actually, it looked a lot like a Shortfin Mako, but I don't know if that is possible.

Hey Rick, do you have my dry gloves?:confused:

BTW, the table idea came from Bob Sherwood, the GUE Instructor. I heard that he brings them with him when he travels. The Roleez cart I saw Joe Talavera (another instructor) using a few times. I'm just a copycat.

Mark

Chuck Tribolet:
The shark you are most likely to see along the edge of the kelp would be a thresher
(big long tail). Blues are usually well offshore, and 6' would be a pretty big one. But
the blues do like the warm water we've been having. Either one would be unusual -- I've
seen two threshers and no blues while diving close to shore. I've seen a few blues well
offshore. No whites.

mweitz:
I don't think it was a thresher. I think that the REALLY long tail would really stand out. It also really looked grey to me, and not blue.
Totally agree. I googled a thresher pic, and that wern't it.

mweitz:
Hey Rick, do you have my dry gloves?:confused:
Nope. :shakehead (I double checked everywhere) But I think you had them on all the way up to the truck.

What was it you told me about not needing gloves?? :eyebrow:

Hope you find them.

Sigh . . . Rick, I'm going to be so annoyed if we get to Monterey next weekend and discover you've used all the luck. Leave some luck for us, would you?

Chuck Tribolet:
Makos are an outside possibility. They are reported to show up when chumming for
blues.

Young whites are thinner than the big ones, IIRC.

Chuck
I guess diving with Mark could be considered, "chumming for blues." :eyebrow:

Wish I could know for sure it was a young white. It'd sure make a better story. :D

Rick, lets shoot over to the aquarium on Sat afternoon and check out the baby white there. It is about 5' ....

Here are a couple of additions to the dive:

Nudibrach: Doriopsilla spaldingi http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=3043 only the second one I've seen. Both right at 100' or so at North Monastery.

We saw a really pretty Cabezon at about 25'.

I'm going to say that the aforementioned Chromodoris macfarlandi was in fact 4 Mexichromis porterae http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=mexiport

Back
Top Bottom