DAN 'Preferred' Insurance PROBLEM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a medical dive injury they wouldn't cover.

Please do tell us more about your experience and the reason DAN gave for not covering your injury.

I tell all my friends "DAN sucks, use DiveAssure" because of situations just like this.

So you're suggesting DiveAssure pays for things that their customers did not buy coverage for? Man, I've got to get me some of that in case I ever get diagnosed with cancer.

So you're suggesting DiveAssure pays for things that their customers did not buy coverage for? Man, I've got to get me some of that in case I ever get diagnosed with cancer.

I'm wantin' me some DiveAssure in case I get into a car wreck. I always have scuba cylinders in the back of the truck. That will be a diving injury that DAN probably wouldn't cover me for.

Granted I am in Canada, so the plans are slightly different. That being said, the Preferred Plan does not cover trip cancellation for the travelling companion. The Guardian Plan does.

Preferred Plan
Diving Vacation Cancellation: If prior to the timeand date of departure for a Diving Vacation, the Insured Member has suffered a Sickness or Injury that would substantially impair his/her ability to dive and requires the cancellation of the DivingVacation, we will pay up to the benefit limit for Covered Losses that the Insured Member incurs as a result of such cancellation. The lifetime max-imum benefit is $10,000.

Guardian Plan
Diving Vacation Cancellation: If prior to the timeand date of departure for a Diving Vacation, the Insured Member or his/her Traveling Companion has suffered a Sickness or Injury that would substantially impair the Insured Member’s or his/her Traveling Companion’s ability to dive and re-quires the cancellation of the Diving Vacation, we will pay up to the benefit limit for Covered Losses that the Insured Member or his/her Traveling Companion incurs as a result of such cancellation. The benefit is $10,000 per occurrence for the Guardian Plan.

So, is this a situation of the Plan chosen?

i'm not sure where you found that but i can't find any insurance for "Diving Vacation Cancellation", under which category is it?

Dan Plans.jpg

Read the Handbook, that is where you will find the info.

Those are direct quotes from the Handbook.

Here is the page in the Handbook comparing the Guardian to the Preferrred:

DAN Guardian vs. Preferred CDN.png

Last edited:
Instead of using snark you should actually do a quick Google, and identify that there are chambers that very specifically do NOT accept DAN, but accept DiveAssure with no questions.

Dive Assure is primary insurance(which means you pay no copays/deductibles) whereas DAN is secondary insurance which means you pay copay + insurance.

From a personal standpoint, I have had DAN deny a claim for trivial matters, whereas DiveAssure has always been great and comfortable to deal with. Also the 10$ difference in price is FAR worth it based on customer service.
two of my responses were glued together by scubaboard, which one are you snarking about?

in the first i was responding to a question about blue cross coverage specifically for Canucks. And maybe just for the province of Ontario? I did not think about mentioning state / provincial differences. It varies by location. Do your homework. read the fine print. My experience is only applicable to Ontariariario.

in my second response i was NOT advocating DAN vs DiveAssure. I would personally recommend neither as I can get better coverage from another provider "for my needs". YMMV. depending upon residence and travel circumstances. There is no universal one size fits all solution. DAN or DiveAssure may be perfect for you.

My current provider has a 24 hour 1-800 hotline that provides worldwide coverage - for all types of medical emergencies, not just diving. For the worst case I also have a pocketful of credit cards that I am prepared to use to protect my health and well being. And enough credit rating to buy a small third world country (well maybe not the whole country...)

From personal experience I have had excellent customer service from AllState, RBC and Blue Cross. Bottom line is that I would personally rather be able to say "I have never needed to make a claim so i have no idea about customer service...".

Can you tell me who that provider is? Have you specifically checked if they cover chamber rides? Most outside of diving don't.

I'm wantin' me some DiveAssure in case I get into a car wreck. I always have scuba cylinders in the back of the truck. That will be a diving injury that DAN probably wouldn't cover me for.
you just gotta learn to drive with the tanks strapped on and the reg in place. "dry water" diving we calls it.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2014 at 04:38 PM ----------

Can you tell me who that provider is? Have you specifically checked if they cover chamber rides? Most outside of diving don't.
yep - any medical procedure is covered. All means to get me to my required medical procedure are covered. helo, rowboat, 3 wheeled taxi, yak ride.

there is nothing special about scuba - or chamber rides! Chamber rides are a marketing myth that some "sucba" insurance companies have propagated to the sheeple.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2014 at 04:43 PM ----------

I had a medical dive injury they wouldn't cover.
This sound very plausible. DAN is (was? I have not looked in a few years) very restrictive in their coverage. By using a broad set of exclusions they can reduce their covered incidents and liability and hence can offer low premiums. Low cost means very little coverage. You get what you pay for. There is no free lunch. Read the fine print. Stop bitching about not getting things you did not pay for.

...This sound very plausible. DAN is (was? I have not looked in a few years) very restrictive in their coverage. By using a broad set of exclusions they can reduce their covered incidents and liability and hence can offer low premiums. Low cost means very little coverage. You get what you pay for. There is no free lunch. Read the fine print. Stop bitching about not getting things you did not pay for.

The current Canadian Handbook shows 16 of what they call "Exclusions on Covered Medical Expensed for Covered Diving, Non-Diving and Named Water Sports Accidents". The language seems pretty straight forward and a lot of those seem to be "well, Duh!" type of things.

It is as you say, "you get what you pay for". Of course, "we" are covered at home anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom