DAN 'Preferred' Insurance PROBLEM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a vestibular hit in Cozumel and was refused treatment at Dr. Piccolo's chamber. To be fair, Dr. Piccolo wasn't there, he was away, the tech had probably never seen a vestibular hit, and treated me for nausea. I did not call DAN, I flew home to Houston and called DAN from home, when the vertigo got so bad I couldn't walk. DAN sent me to the chamber at Hermann, and they wouldn't press me either, as my dive computer didn't indicate I was bent. Long story short (it is here on SB somewhere if you want the gory details) The DAN medic (Marty) told them to press me. They did. Symptoms (extreme vertigo to continuous vomiting) resolved in about 20 minutes, and I finished a table 6. Never went back. There were no questions about what insurance I had, there were no questions about anything, DAN said press me, they did, and I was cured.

BCBS of TX covered 80% up to my $3500 deductible. There was no ER visit, as I went to the chamber during working hours. Sadly, I am intimate of the location of the hyperbaric facility at Hermann. DAN picked up the $3500, as well as any non-reasonable and customary if there were any. My out of pocket was $0.

If DAN refused to cover a diving injury, then they either didn't consider it a diving injury, or you, like me, blew off some of the paperwork that DANs insurance company requires. It was only when I got a bill from hospital that I decided to do the paperwork the way DANs carrier wanted, and it turned out all good.

Sorry, I've been on a tractor...

Please read the entirety of this thread where not only are convenience of chamber rides mentioned but also DiveAssure discusses your claim below not once, but twice!
Huh? :confused:

Why does it matter if your health insurance already pays part of the claim or not? It still results in no immediate money out of your pocket.
Nope. Depends on where services are needed.

Can you provide the policy terms that state it is not primary insurance?
Ok...

Excerpting from DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance | EXCLUSIONS DiveAssure
Benefits will not be paid for:
9.Expenses to the extent that they are paid or payable under other valid and collectible group insurance or medical prepayment plan;
Which in practice means they will split payments with other coverages, like DAN does.

Additionally, from the same link, they pay Usual, Reasonable and Customary charges like others.....
Benefits will not be paid for:
4.4. Charges which:
b.Are in excess of Usual, Reasonable and Customary charges.

Otherwise, they seem like a fine company with good coverages. Keep their coverage and suggest it to others, but stick to facts.

Sorry, I've been on a tractor.
so wuts yer point?

my brothers tractor has ac, floating air cushion seat, sirius satelite radio and a rear mounted auxiliary camera. he takes his boots off before he gets in. kind of a mobile man cave for farmers. it is also owned by the bank.

so wuts yer point?

my brothers tractor has ac, floating air cushion seat, sirius satelite radio and a rear mounted auxiliary camera. he takes his boots off before he gets in. kind of a mobile man cave for farmers. it is also owned by the bank.
Oh, it was a fancy one, complicated! I haven't ran one much in the last couple of decades so the new ones are intimidating to me. I did not have internet access, but even if I had - I would have turned it off. Had to pay attention to what I was doing, where the cotton strippers were once I dumped my buggy in the module builder, not wreck anything, etc.

so wuts yer point?

Oh, it was a fancy one, complicated! I haven't ran one much in the last couple of decades so the new ones are intimidating to me. I did not have internet access, but even if I had - I would have turned it off. Had to pay attention to what I was doing, where the cotton strippers were once I dumped my buggy in the module builder, not wreck anything, etc.

Gee, haw, whoa. It worked fine.

Gee, haw, whoa. It worked fine.
My dad learned to harvest cotton with a two row sled and mules. Later in life he got two row tractor mount, then a two row self propelled - that I learned on, then a four row. The eight row stripper is huge.

Is it my imagination, or is the topic starting to change?

Those darn cottonnpickin' topic changers. . .

Giffenk, please do tell me as a fellow Canadian, which insurance company covers you as you saying for all and any dive emergencies, including transport, chamber and repatriation? Are you saying you have this from your Blue Cross travel plan?

I have annual travel medical with RBC. doesn't cover my diving in full. I deemed Alberta Blue Cross travel insurance woefully inadequate sometime ago. Also prefer an insurance that covers my expenses up front if and when I'm not sble to speak for myself or exercise my credit cards.

Last edited:
Interesting. How much do you know about it Hawkwood?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom