Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about DAN and looking at the plans and all the things have "Resulting from a covered diving accident." but I can't find much on what kind of diving accidents are covered.

Pretty much everything. If it is an injury incurred as result of diving, it's covered.

Join up. It's cheap insurance. You can't imagine what it would cost you if you got in trouble.

get DAN

I'm thinking about DAN and looking at the plans and all the things have "Resulting from a covered diving accident." but I can't find much on what kind of diving accidents are covered.

Get Dan, you will not be disappointed. They are a really good non-for profit insurance company. I feel that every organization should make DAN a part of the certification requirements. It only takes once to get Bent , or have a serious accident and realize that , if i had the dive insurance i would not be worrying about this $10,000 chamber ride:shocked2::shakehead:

The marketing materials are referring to a "covered diving accident" in order to not continually refer to the specific policy wordings and exclusions necessary to define what is and is not covered.

The details will be in the policy itself. you will need to read the definitions (I have included an excerpt below) but ALSO look at the policy details, exclusions etc (like the accident has to occur while the policy is in force, injury can't be a result of an act of war... etc....etc...

I'm not sure of your country - so this doc may not be correct for you, but the DAN America Member Benefits Handbook I find on-line may provide most of the details you need.

http://dan.org/membership/handbook.pdf

In the handbook you will find the following text:

Covered Dive means a recreational dive or diving while a scuba instructor, divemaster, underwater photographer, or while performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists (AAUS). A dive begins upon entry into the water and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while Insurance is in force.

Covered Diving Accident means DCI as a result of a Covered Dive within the 130-foot (40-meter) limit. For Preferred and Master Plans only, it means DCI or any Injury as the result of a Covered Dive, regardless of the depth.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
If you go through your dive career without ever needing DAN's coverage, you can curse the money you wasted. If you ever have a dive accident of any kind while covered, you will drop to your knees in thanks that you had it. When my buddy got badly bent (dong the same supposedly safe dive profiles as I) and had 4 chamber rides, he was very, very glad he had the highest level of DAN insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom