Davao or Samal Island recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been viewing Blue Jazz as more of a kid friendly family water park, than a place to dive at. I"m rethinking about possibly being there for a day or two now.

I thought I had read something about some wrecks off the coast, I believe it was near resort south of Toril. There had also been some reef restoration work that had been successful to. Or at least the article claimed so. Does anyone know the name of the place? For the life of me I can't find the article again. It was a spot I had been thinking I'd like to go visit.

Reef Restoration: zero in Davao; reefs have deteriorated overall due to increasing pollution in the Gulf. Some small concrete structures have been deployed which have made minimal impact at Liguid Island and Punta del Sol. If you are expecting big restoration projects with great outcomes, then you will be disappointed; they do not exist.

Wrecks: 2 in front of Pearl Farm between 20 and 30 meters. Not very good (poor viz/marine life) and you have to stay there to dive them OR pay USD50 to dive them. Sagami Maru is an excellent wreck, but is a 50-60 meter dive. Extensive 'salvage' operations have removed much archeology from the wreck.

Blue Jazz: water park not completed and offers good accommodation and ambiece with an on-site dive shop linked to Davao Scuba. Davao Scuba can arrange great macro diving at the best sites from here. Macro diving at Talikud Island is superb.

For a 2 day stay, suggest that you consider being based in Davao rather than waste your time with banca transfers, etc. Casa Leticia Casa Leticia | A boutique business hotel in Davao City, Philippines is a great place to stay and is 10 mins from all dive shops at Santa Anna Wharf. It also has great Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants in the same buildings.

WWD

I can't tell you about the wrecks south of Toril, But I've dived the WWII wrecks infront of pearl farm. I was a big fan of the wrecks in Coron, so I enjoyed the wrecks there. IIRC, there's 2 or 3 of them? Bombed during WWII. The DM gave me a great back story of the planes swooping down from over the island peak and dropping their bombs on them. One of them still contains the trailer trucks it was loaded with (albeit in a cross and only a skeleton of the chasis and wheels). The other wreck is lying on it's side and you see the blast holes. Also noticed is the meticulousness of the Japanese sailors in maintaining their ships (line coils and what not) - I love thinking of the history behind them.

I can't remember if it's this dive site or not, but there's a ship in 3 pieces...not sure if it's part of the ship lying on the side, or if it's another ship. I didn't have my dive log with me that day so can't look it up.

As for marine life...I don't recall anything spectacular within the wrecks compared to other dive sites, but I do recall seeing some nifty macro in the sand beds surrounding the wrecks. Viz was so so (I was blessed with a sunny day).

I doubt I'll bother with those wrecks. It wasn't the wreck I was so much interested in, but to see how the restoration project might be working. Then I'd possibly follow it over the years when I make return trips to Davao. At home I'm a fresh cold water diver. Any diving there beats what I'm used to. Typical is about 4 degrees C with maybe 10 meter vis in the water I normally dive. 1 meter vis is not uncommon and 20 meter vis is like a dream day.

I'd like to try out the diving near General Santos sometime. But there won't be time to get down there this trip. Although those recently posted pictures by WWD really makes the diver in my want to get there.

yep fair enough, I was far more impressed with the diving around talikud island. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to dive the east side of Samal Island, which I was told by the local divers was really nice. Have fun with your trip, post some pics when you get back!

@nite_guy

There is another option here for you.

Babu Santa Beach, Talikud Island has terrific shore diving over pure white sand. Rent some tanks and borrow a tent from your friends. I think that Frank from Davao Scuba would be pleased to help with this.

Then take the ferry across with tanks and gear (was 50 pesos last year) and stay on the beach overlooked by Bebot, the guardian there. He can arrange water for rinsing, showering, etc and bbq fish/meat on the beach for a small fee. Bebot is a very decent guy.

Then you can do as you please - 90 minute dives on some of the best macro life anywhere. Check out the ruined pier where we have seen up to 7 frogfish. There are also plenty pipe fish and the usual rare stuff that the PI's are famous for.

If you dive this way, you easily should be able to get 4 dives in for less than 2,000 pesos and get the freedom that you like.

Hi there, I'm from Cagayan de Oro. Me and a couple of other guys plan to go to Davao this weekend and dive. This thread has been very helpful. I have a question, how much does a tank of air usually cost in the local shops there?

It's around 200 peso per 80cft tank air. Frank has nitrox for 3-350 peso per tank.

Ferry to Talikud takes around 45 minutes. The ferry leaves from Sta Ana Wharf - 3 minutes walk from the dive shops. The guys from the shop will load everything for you.

Easy!!

If there are a few of you/you can spend a bit more, good to take a guide/arrange a banca through Frank.

As I have said before, Maeng from Davao Scuba is probably one of the best macro guides in the South Philippines. Consider trying to take him along, especially if you are serious photographers.

Otherwise, just go and enjoy!!:blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom