Day Trips vs. Liveaboards in Australia as well as must-see Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wrecks in Coron are far more interesting than Yongala.
Dived with TAKA II all those yrs ago, no problem whatsoever.
After GBR you should try Tubattaha back home.

I'm visiting Sydney presently (as I do a few times a year). Honesty, I'd skip the GBR altogether and dive in New South Wales. It's a little colder water, but far more interesting. Historic wrecks, weedy sea dragons, big sharks, giant cuttlefish, dopey looking blue grouper. I think NSW is one of the best, and most unsung dive areas on the planet.

The wrecks in Coron are far more interesting than Yongala.
Dived with TAKA II all those yrs ago, no problem whatsoever.
After GBR you should try Tubattaha back home.

Hi Centrals, which particular wrecks of Coron are you talking about? We were recently there and planning to go back again and try other wrecks. Tubbataha is already scheduled for next year but Australia will come first. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm visiting Sydney presently (as I do a few times a year). Honesty, I'd skip the GBR altogether and dive in New South Wales. It's a little colder water, but far more interesting. Historic wrecks, weedy sea dragons, big sharks, giant cuttlefish, dopey looking blue grouper. I think NSW is one of the best, and most unsung dive areas on the planet.

Hi! I'll take a look at New South Wales. Thank you for the recommendation!

Hi Centrals, which particular wrecks of Coron are you talking about? We were recently there and planning to go back again and try other wrecks. Tubbataha is already scheduled for next year but Australia will come first. Any recommendations? Thanks!

The wrecks that I like most are: Akitsushima, Irako, Kyokuzan Maru and Okikawa Maru. Kyokuzan is in the northern Coron so a special trip is required. Still have some artifect from the last Great War!! BTW, the first three wrecks are all deeper than 30m with Irako the deepest.
If you want a slightly inexpensive boat to Tubbataha then you should take a look at Philippinen Tubbataha M/B Dschubba liveaboards. Tauchen Puerto Princesa El Nido
Mark has been doing this trip over 20yrs.

Have a nice trip.

Yes the yongala is really a reef dive. The wreck has essentially turned it an articial reef with a huge array of huge creatures. Not your typical wreck dive. No penetration allowed etc. one of my fave dive sites though for sure!

The wrecks that I like most are: Akitsushima, Irako, Kyokuzan Maru and Okikawa Maru. Kyokuzan is in the northern Coron so a special trip is required. Still have some artifect from the last Great War!! BTW, the first three wrecks are all deeper than 30m with Irako the deepest.
If you want a slightly inexpensive boat to Tubbataha then you should take a look at Philippinen Tubbataha M/B Dschubba liveaboards. Tauchen Puerto Princesa El Nido
Mark has been doing this trip over 20yrs.

Have a nice trip.

I wanted to try both Akitsushima and Irako during our last visit but the operator didn't recommend us to go there as we were with new wreck divers. We went to Olympia Maru, Kogyu Maru and Morazan (which still makes me confused if it's real name is Taiei Maru or Okikawa Maru...the first time we went they said it's Taiei Maru). For the deeper wrecks, what certification would you recommend? We're both Advance Open Water divers.

We already booked with Discovery for Tubbataha as we are going with a group our dive instructor formed.

Thank you Centrals!

MA:
Yes the yongala is really a reef dive. The wreck has essentially turned it an articial reef with a huge array of huge creatures. Not your typical wreck dive. No penetration allowed etc. one of my fave dive sites though for sure!

I see...if no penetration is allowed then I guess a day trip is fine compared to doing an overnighter. But the "huge array of huge creatures" is what we would love to see. Would early March be a good time to visit if in case we push through?

Now I'm really confused on what we should do. SS Yongala and the Great Barrier Reef (Live aboard or day trip).

Thank you, MA.

If you're coming all that way and decide to dive yongala go the liveaboard option if you can! I had the most amazing night dive on. There. Words can't describe it. Huge marble rays right next to us, sharks, more rays, snakesz. Just so cool. Conditions can be unreliable so better to give yourself more chances of getting on it rather than allowing one day trip which might be cancelled. It is a risk with yongala. March might be an ok time later march the better as it's further from cyclone season.

other than someofnthe northern ribbon reefs and osprey inagree with comments above that nsw can offer better diving than GBR!

To to confuse you even more take a look at lady elliot island (manta rays and turtles!!)

I wanted to try both Akitsushima and Irako during our last visit but the operator didn't recommend us to go there as we were with new wreck divers. We went to Olympia Maru, Kogyu Maru and Morazan (which still makes me confused if it's real name is Taiei Maru or Okikawa Maru...the first time we went they said it's Taiei Maru). For the deeper wrecks, what certification would you recommend? We're both Advance Open Water divers.
Both wrecks are relatively quite deep so off-limited to some divers. Nitrox would be very useful.
Irako is quite big and one lap on the deck could easily get you beyond ndl!
If you had never dived a warship sunk in action then Akitsushima could be the first.

Rags Two(www.ragstwo.com) regularly run trips to Apo Reef and Coron. Well worth to check it up even if you are rec divers.

MA:
If you're coming all that way and decide to dive yongala go the liveaboard option if you can! I had the most amazing night dive on. There. Words can't describe it. Huge marble rays right next to us, sharks, more rays, snakesz. Just so cool. Conditions can be unreliable so better to give yourself more chances of getting on it rather than allowing one day trip which might be cancelled. It is a risk with yongala. March might be an ok time later march the better as it's further from cyclone season.

other than someofnthe northern ribbon reefs and osprey inagree with comments above that nsw can offer better diving than GBR!

To to confuse you even more take a look at lady elliot island (manta rays and turtles!!)

Very good point about the number of diving days at Yongala. I want to have a good experience to tell my other friends and maybe they decide to go and we could go back again.

I probably need to stop looking at the other dive sites. Haha! So many choice so little time.

Thanks again!

Both wrecks are relatively quite deep so off-limited to some divers. Nitrox would be very useful.
Irako is quite big and one lap on the deck could easily get you beyond ndl!
If you had never dived a warship sunk in action then Akitsushima could be the first.

Rags Two(www.ragstwo.com) regularly run trips to Apo Reef and Coron. Well worth to check it up even if you are rec divers.

I have no plans on doing Tec diving at the moment so I guess using Nitrox at controlled depths would be our best bet to enjoy the sites at longer dive times.

Akitsushima is at the top of my list!

We went with Corto Divers the two times we were at Coron. Good operators in my opinion.

Thanks again, especially for the added information!

Hi again,

We are thinking about doing the live aboard instead of day trips. We are considering Taka because the price is definitely more affordable but we read that Mike Ball does Coral Sea. I was wondering if there's a huge advantage and difference of doing the Coral Sea instead of just the Ribbon Reefs? Is the price of Mike Ball worth it for having the Coral Sea as part of their itinerary?

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom