Day Trips vs. Liveaboards in Australia as well as must-see Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't you check with the Taka operators, Deep Sea Divers Den here in Cairns? www.diversden.com.au

Last time I went on Taka was in June this year for a Dwarf Minke Whale trip. Steamed up to the Ribbon Reefs on Thursday night and started diving first thing on Friday morning. Included a couple of dives at the Cod Hole on the Saturday which was great. Last dive about 4:00PM Sunday, back into Cairns early Monday morning. Almost 24 hours no flying time for you. Average depth around 25 metres, deepest around 30 metres. Recommend nitrox for multiple dive days, it cost extra.

Hi NautilusCairns,

Thank you for the info! We have already booked with Taka! Live aboard dates on March 5-9, 2015. Yay!!! We are definitely considering using Nitrox for all our dives.

Going back to my problem. Now that I need to take 24 hours of no-fly time. The flight that I can take is the 5:10am flight of Virgin Australia on March 10, 2015, which will arrive Sydney at 9:15am. Are the times usually accurate? Will we make our 11:45am flight back to Manila?

Thanks again!

Hi NautilusCairns,

Thank you for the info! We have already booked with Taka! Live aboard dates on March 5-9, 2015. Yay!!! We are definitely considering using Nitrox for all our dives.

Going back to my problem. Now that I need to take 24 hours of no-fly time. The flight that I can take is the 5:10am flight of Virgin Australia on March 10, 2015, which will arrive Sydney at 9:15am. Are the times usually accurate? Will we make our 11:45am flight back to Manila?

Thanks again!
I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to flights. I would take the late arvo flight on the 9th just in case. You will prob still get the last dive in. At Sydney international and domestic flights are not in the same terminal so you need to allow sometime for that transit too. Maybe 20-30mins?

MA:
I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to flights. I would take the late arvo flight on the 9th just in case. You will prob still get the last dive in. At Sydney international and domestic flights are not in the same terminal so you need to allow sometime for that transit too. Maybe 20-30mins?

We were really considering taking the latest flight out possible from Cairns to Sydney on the 9th but the latest we could find is the 4:50pm flight which is within our 24 hour no-fly time (assuming our last night dive on the 8th would finish at 9pm max). That will be close to 20 hours only. That's why we are thinking of taking the flight on the 10th which is at 5:10am.

Both options from Cairns is by Virgin Australia. Our flight back to Manila at 11:45am is by Philippine Airlines.

What would be the best option?

Thanks for the help, MA!

I think you need to consider what is the worst case scenario. Would you rather do the last dive and potentially miss your flight MANILa? Risk flying with a 20 hour gap ( I believe Padi still recommends 18), or just miss the last dive? Also check with taka, I've been on about 7 ribbon reef/ osprey reef trips and there was never a night dive on the last night. Last dive was usually in the afternoon, meaning the 450pm flight is within 24 hours. Most guests, if their flights allowed, did the last dive or just skipped it.

no one can answer what the best option is. You will need to decide what you're most comfortable with. But check the last dive time first if you haven't already :)

Ifall goes to plan you will prob make your flight to Manila depending on what the check in times are. But like anywhere flights in Australia do lot always got to plan. But why risk it if you don't need to - check the last dive time!!

MA:
I think you need to consider what is the worst case scenario. Would you rather do the last dive and potentially miss your flight MANILa? Risk flying with a 20 hour gap ( I believe Padi still recommends 18), or just miss the last dive? Also check with taka, I've been on about 7 ribbon reef/ osprey reef trips and there was never a night dive on the last night. Last dive was usually in the afternoon, meaning the 450pm flight is within 24 hours. Most guests, if their flights allowed, did the last dive or just skipped it.

no one can answer what the best option is. You will need to decide what you're most comfortable with. But check the last dive time first if you haven't already :)

Ifall goes to plan you will prob make your flight to Manila depending on what the check in times are. But like anywhere flights in Australia do lot always got to plan. But why risk it if you don't need to - check the last dive time!!

Agree with MA regarding flights and I am also fairly sure there isn't a night dive on the last day.

MA:

Agree with MA regarding flights and I am also fairly sure there isn't a night dive on the last day.

Hi MA & NautilusCairns,

According to their website, there's a night dive in each day of diving. Anyway, I asked what time the last night dive is and got a reply that it's going to end at around 8pm. Although I didn't ask if that's also the last day of diving so I'm clarifying that. I'm also asking if we could do the last dive on the last day earlier.

Flight back to Manila is definitely our priority and should not be missed!

Thanks again!

So 20 hours, that's close! Still within Padi guidelines unless it's changed. Just skip the night dive and have some sunset drinks instead :)

MA:
So 20 hours, that's close! Still within Padi guidelines unless it's changed. Just skip the night dive and have some sunset drinks instead :)

Got a confirmation that the last dive would usually end at 8pm on the last day. We got the 4D4N trip, that's probably the reason why. I'm asking if we could dive earlier so that we'd finish early. We want to maximize our trip as much as we can since we won't probably go back anytime soon. We'll see! Sunset drinks sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

How far out are those 4 day/night Coral Sea trips booked (Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom)? I tried searching thru the site but it shows unavailable (25 December or 1 January departure). I really would like to dive Osprey Reef, but my dates in Australia are fixed (flying in 25 Dec, flying out 10 Jan)

Xmas is a very busy time and these trips get booked out a month or so in advance. Very little chance of getting on over Xmas or New Year now.

Taka is a good alternative and still have limited availability but does not go to Osprey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom