DCS incident analysis requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:
So who did you talk to at DAN? How hard was it getting in contact with him?

How often does the chamber at Anilao get used?

there is a dan volunteer over here, only ONE. he is a local doctor. anyone in trouble can call makati medical center. once you call makati med they will give you the number of the doctor. you can then reach him if his cel phone is reachable if not then too bad. its sad because the country has 1000s of potential dive sites and only one dan rep.

there are like 3- known hyperbaric chambers in the country and every ride costs at least $2500 bucks. the guy in makati med dint even know what a hyperbaric chamber was. as for the chamber in anilao, i have no idea.

Spoon:
bro, i mentioned in my past threads that not all of the dive resorts down here have access to enriched air and otherexotic gasses. next time i will get my own fills and bring it with me to these resorts. also i am planning to take the iantd- rec trimix course to get a more indepth understanding of deco procedures and the use of trimix to depth of 130ft.
That's a fine plan.

I'm not saying you or anyone else needs training on "exotic gases," I'm just saying you need to stay within the limits of your gas. 125' on air is beyond the limits, for reasons you're now well aware of :wink:
spoon:
our divemaster planned dive one and two i planned the third and i based the third on our surface interval. i know i should have done more planning, i admit i was careless and it got me into trouble. i will make it a point to learn from this mistake and make sure i do thorough dive planning in my next dives.
Letting someone else plan your dive, and just trusting them on it, was the big mistake here and I'm glad you realize that.

I'm really glad you're OK, and it's my hope that this incident will steer you a bit back more toward what you were learning in your class and away from what the DM is doing.

i appreciate your advice bro. i accept what happened to me and feel kinda stupid and irresponsible! this incident could have been avoided if i wasnt over confident and cocky about it. i let my guard down and let an otherwise simple dive plan get thrown out of the woods by my letting the dm dictate the dive. i put myself and my friends in harms way. im very lucky that i was the only one to get bent.

i took my dir-classes, and internalized everything i learned, i apparently need more internalization and application. i kept thinking that ya ya ya air has no place beyond 100 or that air is fast getting obsolete and that going beyond 100 best be done with enriched gas etc. i kinda knew all of this and the reasons for it but i kinda tucked it away in the back of my head, well i learned the hard way.

thanks to everyone for your kind words and constructive comments. i am going to take this oppurtunity to learn from this experience and grow into a safer more responsible diver.

Spoon:
our divemaster planned dive one and two i planned the third and i based the third on our surface interval.
Since you haven't been able to download the profile from your computer, how about some info on what the planned profiles of the dive plan? Were they formally planned as multilevel dives (as in 120' for 7 minutes, 80' for 7min then 40 or shallower for remainder) or the less formal sort of "120 for 10 minutes, then go shallow?"

The only denial I see is in the post by others that effectively say "He got bent because he misbehaved", with the usually unstated belief of "I don't misbehave, so I won't get bent".

So far, I don't have enough info to tell whether or not your dives were reasonable profiles.

Spoon:
what posts are you reffering to? ive accepted the fact that i got hit, its a very humbling experience and i appreciate everyone helping me out. i also accept that i was completely at fault and should have paid more attention to the dive at hand and my body's reaction.

Okay, that was my bad then. :) I just don't want anything bad to happen to you, even if I don't know you personally! *gives you internet hug*

Charlie99:
Since you haven't been able to download the profile from your computer, how about some info on what the planned profiles of the dive plan? Were they formally planned as multilevel dives (as in 120' for 7 minutes, 80' for 7min then 40 or shallower for remainder) or the less formal sort of "120 for 10 minutes, then go shallow?"

we were planning on doing multilevel dives with the notion of touching down the base of a certain sea cave, (batcave) and head back up on a slow ascent. i was keeping an eye on our bottom timer and we were at 110-125 for around 2 mns and back up to 100-80 from 125 in less than 2 mins. we were well within our assigned ndls.

alibee:
Okay, that was my bad then. :) I just don't want anything bad to happen to you, even if I don't know you personally! *gives you internet hug*

no biggie madame alibee:) im touched :wink: no one has ever given me an internet hug im touched !

Spoon:
i appreciate your advice bro. i accept what happened to me and feel kinda stupid and irresponsible! this incident could have been avoided if i wasnt over confident and cocky about it. i let my guard down and let an otherwise simple dive plan get thrown out of the woods by my letting the dm dictate the dive. i put myself and my friends in harms way. im very lucky that i was the only one to get bent.

i took my dir-classes, and internalized everything i learned, i apparently need more internalization and application. i kept thinking that ya ya ya air has no place beyond 100 or that air is fast getting obsolete and that going beyond 100 best be done with enriched gas etc. i kinda knew all of this and the reasons for it but i kinda tucked it away in the back of my head, well i learned the hard way.

thanks to everyone for your kind words and constructive comments. i am going to take this oppurtunity to learn from this experience and grow into a safer more responsible diver.
Cool! With this attitude and approach, you should soon be well on your way to becoming a MUCH safer (and unbent) diver.

As you are finding out, just taking (and even passing) a DIRf class does not automatically turn you into a safer diver. You were taught a set of skills and concepts that, once you have learned to apply them consistently, will not only make your diving safer, but as most find out, more fun as well :wink:

i really think that another thing you need to focus on is your deco. if you're doing air you need to be doing 1-1-3-3s or 1-3-5 or 1-3-7 or something like that, 2-2-2 at a minimum. anything shorter than that should be reserved for emergencies. and don't let your DMs short change you on your deco because they just want to clear their computer and come up. and keep in mind if you're doing repetetive diving that the free phase gas in your system from your last ascent is going to get compressed and then expanded by boyle's law and that you need to deco that junk as well.

and get checked for a PFO.

Spoon:

Spoon, you did push the dives, as you already know, but to do those kinds of dives after a 6- 8 K jog is almost suicide. I don't know the physics involved, I think it's you will uptake N2 too fast,too deeply, or something like that, but I do know it's a big no no. Divers that have done a lot less than you say you did the morning of the dive have gotten bent badly, so you are kind of lucky. If you are going to dive that day you need to refrain from rigorous exercise that day. Dive or work out, not both. And don't do a race afterwards either. Stay safe. Spoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom